I'm a Chocoholic... Help Me!!!

Options
Ok, so I love chocolate... and eating it everyday doesn't jive well with my weight loss goal :noway:

I've tried to cut back and attempted to limit how much I eat everyday, week, month.. but doesn't work. And the fact that people have chocolate in jars outside their desks doesn't help either...

So, I've decided... NO MORE CHOCOLATE till my b'day (which is in 14 weeks)... and my weight loss goal is to loose 15 lbs by then.... and then I can reward myself with... The Molten Lava Cake from Chilis..... yummmmmm.....

Here's my question for you: Are there other chocolate lovers out there? How do you control your chocolate cravings? Any thoughts? Suggestions????

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate, it's delicious and amazing. Cutting chocolate completely out of your diet is a terrible idea. Just eat chocolate when you want it, but account for it in your daily calories and macros and it's not a problem, that's what I do.
  • bhavnoor
    bhavnoor Posts: 36
    Options
    But the thing is.... if I start, I can't stop... I have one bite and then I can't stop myself from going from seconds or thirds.... till the jar is empty...
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    But the thing is.... if I start, I can't stop... I have one bite and then I can't stop myself from going from seconds or thirds.... till the jar is empty...

Completely understand this. I say, if cutting it out completely for a while helps, then do it. I have to do that with certain things. Once you feel stronger, then purchase small amounts.

I tend to buy really good quality chocolate chips (not Hershey's or store brand) of semisweet or dark chocolate, and then measure it out. That way, I only have a small amount in my hand, and I can eat one chip at a time, by letting it melt in my mouth. Not chewing it.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a chocolate snob. If I am going to use my calories, I want the very best. I love really rich dark chocolate. Adding a good unsweetened cacao powder to a banana smoothie is a great low calorie way to get your fix.
  • lollipop4401
    Options
    You can buy fiber bars with chocolate in them :)
  • mgirard447
    mgirard447 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to be like this. I wouldn't be able to stop. Once i got serious about MFP and losing weight, I still wanted to eat it all the time but I counted my calories and was responsible for what I ate and eventually it wore off. I still love chocolate but I dont feel the need to eat it like I used to (unless its that time of the month) Hopefully it will get better :D
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you're going through! I am the same way - can't stop once I start. The solution: don't start. I had to eliminate processed sugar from my diet completely (well, as completely as possible - it's in just about everything!) But I no longer eat sweets made with processed sugar. I can still enjoy chocolate - I've found many recipes for sweet treats using agave, stevia, and other natural sweeteners. I still try to limit those - make them a special treat, but not everyday. Avoid ANYTHING with malitol - unless you like to clear rooms with noxious gas!
  • pollard55
    pollard55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been getting my chocolate fix in the morning, and it's helped me get through the rest of the day without much of a sweet tooth. And I LOVE chocolate and pretty much any other dessert. 1 tbs pb + 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein or 1tbs of cocoa powder + 1 c almond milk + 1 packet of instant coffee (if you like coffee in the morning) + 1 c of spinach (I do not like spinach-- I'm telling you, you can 100% not taste it). Add 5 or 6 ice cubes and a little agave or packet of Truvia if you'd like, and blend. It's like dessert for breakfast!

Also, when I'm getting a chocolate craving after dinner I make sugar free instant chocolate jell-o pudding, let it set, then add fat free cool whip to make "mousse." No fat and low-cal! Soo yummy. Portion it out into 4 containers an put 3 in the fridge to keep yourself from eating it all!

I've been getting fat free sorbet so I eat that after dinner to satisfy my craving for sweets. Another thing that helps is if I get my work out in right before, or a couple of hours after eating dinner. I'm not as hungry and I don't have an urge to eat junk food after doing a cardio workout. Then you can just treat yourself with a glass of chocolate milk to aid in muscle repair. :)
  • scotvalkyrie
    scotvalkyrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate too, but I've learned to portion it out by choosing certain chocolate. I personally like to eat Terry's Dark Chocolate Oranges. One serving is 5 pieces for 220 calories, and it really feels like I am eating a LOT of chocolate, and it tastes very good too! I also like Hershey's Simple Pleasures dark chocolate with chocolate creme filling. One serving of those is six pieces for 160 calories. Again, it feels like a LOT of chocolate for a smaller amount of calories. Hope this helps!
  • brandylynnnichols
    Options
    I looooove chocolate and if I buy a bag/bar and try to limit myself, I end up eating the whole thing. I'm more likely to eat more when I try limiting myself than if I had never set a goal in the first place. My advice is this. If you have a close friend, spouse or co-worker that you see on a regular basis, buy some chocolate, give it to them and let them give you a treat on a daily basis.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Me too so I cut out all chocolate except for a hot chocolate each day. I did that for a couple of years then as my weight came down, I was able to cut out the hot chocolate too. I have had a couple of boxes of chocolates sitting on my desk for the last several months and I haven't gotten into them so it can be done.
  • bhavnoor
    bhavnoor Posts: 36
    Options
    Thank you so much for your suggestions and support :smile:

I did NOT have any chocolate yesterday and it's almost lunch time today... and still no chocolate. :happy:
  • angieochoa1201
    Options
    I can relate!!!

I have had to NOT buy it for almost a year now. I realized when I buy oreos or nutella I eat the whole damn thing. I riskily just bought my first jar of nutella this week it is half gone and I've put it in the freezer to prevent myself from eating it.

I LOVE sugar free fudgepops only 45 cals :D its a good substitute. I can't say no to chocolate all together.
  • met42485
    met42485 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Completely understand this. I say, if cutting it out completely for a while helps, then do it. I have to do that with certain things. Once you feel stronger, then purchase small amounts.

I tend to buy really good quality chocolate chips (not Hershey's or store brand) of semisweet or dark chocolate, and then measure it out. That way, I only have a small amount in my hand, and I can eat one chip at a time, by letting it melt in my mouth. Not chewing it.

This is what I do with Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips. When I buy the bag I go ahead and separate them into smaller portions so I'm not tempted to eat them all in one sitting :) I too am a chocoholic and this has helped me cut back a lot.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I work it in my calorie allotment when I want it, I love sweets
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I love adding in dark chocolate chips to my trail mix.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Chocolate should never be given up. Ever.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I don't control my chocolate cravings at all... if I want chocolate, I eat chocolate. I actually just had some M&M's.

I don't know... I find it easy to moderate my consumption, not always, but most of the time. As long as I know a food is not forbidden, I can successfully manage not to gorge myself on it. Maybe you just need to change the way you look at food.

This probably didn't help much since you weren't looking for suggestions on moderation, but it was all I had to offer. Best of luck!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Once the package is open, I'm done. So I buy small packages.

But I have a family, and they will buy bigger bags...so ...I use a clip on the bag, put the bag in a plastic box, put the box in a less convenient cupboard , out of sight.
  • autumn26
    autumn26 Posts: 44
    Options
    I don't have any advice but I totally sympathise with you.
    That wicked sweet tooth.