calorie debate. Do I eat them back after working out?

Options
Hey! Reading up online and see so many conflicting things. According to MFP I should be consuming 1200 calories a day. I have read I need at least 1500 or my body will "go into starvation mode" and store fat? Then I read that you should burn up to 500cals through exercise but MAKE SURE TO EAT THEM ALL BACK. Others say just to create a deficit and not eat them back. I know there are tons of theories but I just go with what makes actual sense to me but nobody has given me a real solid reason as to why to do so. Also, if I should eat back burned cals is it bad to do so late at night? I usually cannot get to the gym until 8pm so should i really go home and eat that late? Any advice would be great! If it helps I am almost 5'8 and am around 197lbs...want to get down to 150-160ish

Replies

• Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't get a chance to eat back most of my cals since I work till 7pm and workout afterwards. Try to bank as much c
    cals as you can throughout the day since eating late isnt a great idea short of small snacks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There is no debate if you understand the tool you are using. MFP is essentially a NEAT method calculator (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)...which means when you set your activity level, you do NOT include exercise...just your day to day job and hum drum. This makes exercise an extra activity that needs to be fueled. The NEAT method is often used for people unfamiliar with exercise as it gives them incentive to get off their fat *kitten* and move...but they don't have to...they can eat those 1200 calories (sedentary) and lose weight...but if they do happen to get off their *kitten* and move they are rewarded with add'l calories. This is how MFP works.

Other calculators like TDEE calculators incorporate your estimated exercise calories in you activity level...so you wouldn't eat them back. It works out 6 of 1 when you do it right. When I did MFP my NET calorie goal was 1850 to lose one Lb per week...with exercise I grossed about 2100- 2200 calories per day. When I switched to the TDEE method (which included my exercise in my activity level...TDEE = 2700...multiply that by 80% to get roughly 1 Lb per week loss goal...= 2,160 gross calories. See...6 of 1.

You just need to stick with a method...some people do MFP...some people set to maintenance and try to create a deficit with exercise alone..some people do TDEE - X%...you just have to understand which method you are using and what tool you are using.
  • KtAnne388
    KtAnne388 Posts: 30
    Options
    thnx that is probably my best bet. So basically I should eat more earlier in the day, that way I will not go below my 1200 AFTER exercise?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    There is no debate if you understand the tool you are using. MFP is essentially a NEAT method calculator (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)...which means when you set your activity level, you do NOT include exercise...just your day to day job and hum drum. This makes exercise an extra activity that needs to be fueled. The NEAT method is often used for people unfamiliar with exercise as it gives them incentive to get off their fat *kitten* and move...but they don't have to...they can eat those 1200 calories (sedentary) and lose weight...but if they do happen to get off their *kitten* and move they are rewarded with add'l calories. This is how MFP works.

Other calculators like TDEE calculators incorporate your estimated exercise calories in you activity level...so you wouldn't eat them back. It works out 6 of 1 when you do it right. When I did MFP my NET calorie goal was 1850 to lose one Lb per week...with exercise I grossed about 2100- 2200 calories per day. When I switched to the TDEE method (which included my exercise in my activity level...TDEE = 2700...multiply that by 80% to get roughly 1 Lb per week loss goal...= 2,160 gross calories. See...6 of 1.

You just need to stick with a method...some people do MFP...some people set to maintenance and try to create a deficit with exercise alone..some people do TDEE - X%...you just have to understand which method you are using and what tool you are using.

QFT

/endthread
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    cwolfman is spot on about how the calulators work. Personally, I don't eat back calories for exercise unless I do a heavy sweat session like more than 45 minutes or serious training. Most days, if I have a long period before my next meal after a quick 30 min workout, run, or a yoga workout, I do a light snack, 150 cals so I don't get too famished by then. Keep in mind, most people underestimate calories and over estimate exercise. Even using programs like MFP. Unless you are making some serious dents in your calories trough exercise, you probably don't need another full meal.
  • KtAnne388
    Options
    Okay, thank you. I am not trying to sound stupid but I don't completely understand how to use MFP. I'll have to ask a friend who uses it because I have a hard time understanding things unless I see/ do it myself. I basically get what you said, Guess I will figure out how to add my exercise on here then see how many more cals i'd need to eat to fuel that workout? Again, not trying to be THAT person, my brain just works in a weird way...
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If your using a HRM and want to follow how MFP was designed then yes eat them back ...BUT if you want to do your own thing like me and many others do then by all means do that too....it can work as well there is no set right or wrong..a lot of people only eat a portion but its very important that your using a HRM to calculate don't guess your workout burn either way.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options

Here! Here!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

We have a winner.
  • danibodani
    danibodani Posts: 41
    Options
    This is a super interesting thread. I was thinking the same thing. I have a goal of 1240cal/day, and then got confused when MFP said I had say an extra 356 cals and was unsure what I should do with them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't get a chance to eat back most of my cals since I work till 7pm and workout afterwards. Try to bank as much c
    cals as you can throughout the day since eating late isnt a great idea short of small snacks

There's no need to wait until "after" you've exercised. Plan it into your day, eat with the intention of exercising, and stick with your plan.

And eating late is only a problem if it disturbs your sleep.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Oh thank you!!! I have been asking this question (and reading other people's post asking them same question). This explanation really helped me to understand, especially when it comes to eating back calories because that just seems so counterproductive.
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options

QFT

/endthread

What does QFT mean?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

QFT

/endthread

What does QFT mean?
    Quoted For Truth, or Quite Freaking True. "Freaking" has been alternately translated, at times.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

This is the clearest explanation of calorie/exercise calorie consumption I've heard yet.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

There's no need to wait until "after" you've exercised. Plan it into your day, eat with the intention of exercising, and stick with your plan.

And eating late is only a problem if it disturbs your sleep.

What Lorina said.
    I would log in exercise when I was planning on hitting the gym - that way I knew how many calories I had available for the whole day. So if I ate more at lunch I would plan a smaller dinner or vice versa.
  • KtAnne388
    Options
    Thank you that was really helpful!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

Can we pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease delete that confusing and ridiculous 'in place of a road map ' thing and quote this instead? GENIUS.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If you're following MFP program..you do.
    If you're not....up to you.
    MFP program WORKS though. And I eat well because I can earn more calories to spend.
  • KtAnne388
    Options
    okay, just reread this and i understand now! Ty