Hal Higdon 10k training

Options
I finished up my beginner 5k training program this weekend on runkeeper. It was really challenging but I totally amazed myself. I can actually run 3 miles! I'm slow but I can do it. So now I'm starting the Hal Higdon novice 10k training program. Has anyone else tried this program. If so I'd love to hear your success stories. My 10k is September 28th. Eek!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching that milestone! Slow doesn't matter unless your personal goals include running competitively (not to say we don't strive for improvement but your only real competitor is you)

I like Hal Higdon's training plans, I didn't use his 10K plan but have used his half-marathon plans. He follows a sensible, progressive approach.

Might I suggest that you enter a 5K race (if there's one that will fit your schedule) before your 10K? It's more a mental thing in that you'll have a race under your belt (and a medal hanging on the wall) before tackling the 10K. You'll be more mentally prepared for the longer race and, most likely, will enjoy the experience more.
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I went from not running at all-ever, to using Hal Higdon's Half Marathon training to beginners and running my first half marathon at 36. I have run 6 of them all using his training programs. LOVE them. They work miracles in non-runners making us runners and actually enjoying it.
    Good luck, it's the perfect program.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching that milestone! Slow doesn't matter unless your personal goals include running competitively (not to say we don't strive for improvement but your only real competitor is you)

I like Hal Higdon's training plans, I didn't use his 10K plan but have used his half-marathon plans. He follows a sensible, progressive approach.

Might I suggest that you enter a 5K race (if there's one that will fit your schedule) before your 10K? It's more a mental thing in that you'll have a race under your belt (and a medal hanging on the wall) before tackling the 10K. You'll be more mentally prepared for the longer race and, most likely, will enjoy the experience more.

You think I should? I am running one the week before my 10k but I guess I should look for one maybe even before that...hmmm....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

You think I should? I am running one the week before my 10k but I guess I should look for one maybe even before that...hmmm....

If you can find one that fits your schedule the sooner the better.

I still get butterflies before a race and even with a number 5Ks under my belt before my first 10K it was intimidating.