Will this hinder me?

Options
I'm sorry if this question has been asked time and time again, but I'm looking for a specific answer based on my situation, rather than just a general one.
i woke up yesterday morning and noticed I had some pain in the back of right thigh. It hurts quite a bit and it's hindering me being able to walk for extended periods of time. I'm going to go to a doctor either today or tomorrow to have the problem addressed, however, in the event that the doctor tells me to lay off of cardio exercises for a bit, will this hinder my weight loss progress? I do an hour of cardio and half an hour of strength training 4 times a week. If I replace the cardio with additional strength training until I feel well enough to start walking again, will I still see results in my weight loss?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. If you can't exercise, be strict with your diet and you will still lose weight.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your Quadratus Lumborum muscle, have you been carrying around something on one hip more than usual lately?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratus_lumborum_muscle

This issue is generally not caused by cardio.

I suggest Icing the affected area for 20 mins, then an hour later use heat or take a bath. Have someone rub the area or use a lacrosse ball/tennis ball to get in there. You can also try looking up some yoga moves to stretch out the effected area.

The doctor will probably just give you pain pills/muscle relaxants/tell you to rest.

If it's lower than the picture above then it's more likely your Piriformis muscle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_muscle

Same remedy applies.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your Quadratus lumorum muscle, have you been carrying around something on one hip more than usual lately?

I suggest Icing the affected area for 20 mins, then an hour later use heat or take a bath. Have someone rub the area or use a lacrosse ball/tennis ball to get in there. You can also try looking up some yoga moves to stretch out the effected area.

The doctor will probably just give you pain pills/muscle relaxants/tell you to rest.

The only thing I've done out of the norm was I took about a 2 hour walk with about a 15 lb. gym bag on my left shoulder the other day from the gym to my home. It didn't hurt the day of, but the next morning, that's when I was sore. And have continued to feel the pain since. I don't know if the uneven weight distribution on my left side is what caused it.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    sometimes i eat more and move more, and when i can't move more, i eat less.

I lost the majority of my 45.5 lbs to date without being terribly active. It's only the last 5 weeks i have gotten into really regular exercise.

There is also nothing wrong with not losing weight for a little while... maintaining is good practice for fine tuning your habits. You're retraining yourself to live, not racing to the diet finish line where you finish and are "done"
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    on the pain note, i have a weird skeletal structure, If i keep my core strong, then everything is fine. If i let the muscles get weak, i have to retrain myself to walk without pain.

If your medical will cover it i would reccmoned a physiotherapist to evaluate what muscles are firing incorrectly,
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Strength training is more effective than cardio, in my opinion. You are building muscle that burns more at rest than you would burn doing an hour of cardio. I strength train 3x a week and try to do cardio 2x. I don't stress if I can't do the cardio. Always try to lift heavier thant he last time to build muscle. You may find more success with that while your injury heals. Good luck!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    First congratulations on a great job your progress is fantastic
    I feel you can still lose weight if the Drs advice is ease up but let me say I have been doing my lifestyle change since May of 2008 and there are times I am hurt especially since I am a lot older than you and rest has been called for if this is your new life you adjust since you are going to live this way for many years and there will be times you have to let up and rest.
    The first few times it isn't easy but you realize you can modify your exercise still lose a little or maintain let your body heal and start up fresh and healthy and then push as hard as you are used to without worry
    Good health and good losing
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You need strength training while losing weight if you don't want to lose lean body mass along with the fat. Sure you can lose weight without it, but you'll end up a fat skinny person.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your Quadratus lumorum muscle, have you been carrying around something on one hip more than usual lately?

The only thing I've done out of the norm was I took about a 2 hour walk with about a 15 lb. gym bag on my left shoulder the other day from the gym to my home. It didn't hurt the day of, but the next morning, that's when I was sore. And have continued to feel the pain since. I don't know if the uneven weight distribution on my left side is what caused it.

If that was the cause, it would most likely be on your left side, not right. It's hard to help without being there in person. I edited my original post with some additional info of a different muscle. Unless you specifically injured the muscle such as spraining or tearing, there isn't much point to completely resting it. If it's tight, it needs to be stretched and messaged so new blood can get in there to bring nutrients. If you can figure out exactly what muscle is it, you can definitely help it out sooner.