Thyroid Issues

Options
Hi there!
Does anyone out there have Hypothyroidism. I am thinking that I have this and am wondering some of the side-effects and symptoms.
Thanks!

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My symptoms that crop up when I knew my meds need to be adjusted are tireness, hair loss, itchy ear canals and night sweats. Before I was diagnosed, I was dieting for my wedding but every time I went for a dress fitting they had to let it out. I gained so much on my honeymoon cruise that I couldn't fit into the shorts I brought by the end of the cruise. (Okay, maybe that had a little something to do with the buffets.)

Once I started taking the medicine and my numbers evened out, I stopped gaining weight. It did not magically make me lose the weight. I have to work hard to lose the weight.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Back in 1999, approximately 6 mos after losing my mother, I went to the doctor complaining of fatigue, moodiness, cold fingertips, hair growth on my face, decreased libido, dry skin and difficulty losing weight. At that time, I was basically told that I was depressed! I insisted on lab work and to please include B12 and check my thyroid levels! Low and behold, my thryoid was way out of wack (hypothyroidism) and my B12 levels were low. I've since been taking Synthroid and B12 injections and all my symptoms have disappeared. Listen to your body and be persistent with your doctor! Good luck to you!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    JSuttonTorres - If you are still experiencing symptoms and on medication, your levels aren't optimized. Go back to the doc or find a new doc. Quitting medication will only make it worse. Medication has to be taken on an empty stomach and then wait an hour before eating. Did you do that?
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid issues and it does not seem to matter what I do. I take meds and feel the same as when I don't take meds. Cant loose weight for nothing but can sneeze and gain 3 lbs. I have never understood what is going on with my body. I honestly don't like the meds do anything for me and recently stopped them.

I would suggest finding a Dr that will prescribe a T4/T3 blend, either natural or synthetic. Naturopaths are good at this. I felt a lot better once I started taking some T3 (the active form of the hormone) along with the T4. Some of us have problems converting the T4 to T3. Google the info. Also, as stated above, you need to take your medication on an empty stomach. I wait 2 hours to eat because I always eat something with calcium for breakfast and that will prevent absorption of the hormone. If you take supplements, you should wait to take them until the afternoon.

I still have a hard time losing weight, but can maintain much easier and my symptoms are much better. The fatigue is something I couldn't live with. The Thyroid Solution Diet (Arem, Ridha) was a great resource of information for me - not just for diet, but for his views on medication. It was in my local library.
  • CBell223
    CBell223 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend going to an endocrinologist for this. And, it's really important to not eat for at least an hour after you take your meds. And you shouldn't take a vitamin pill of any kind for at least 4 hours. Best to take your thyroid meds first thing in the morning, and take supplements at night to spread them out. Calcium, Vit C and others, will bind to the thyroid meds and make them completely ineffective. So, your numbers will test fine, but you aren't getting any of the benefit.
    Thyroid meds aren't a diet pill or even a "feel good" pill. They will just bring you back to normal so you can have a chance to take good care of yourself to feel your best.
  • mmbrooks5
    mmbrooks5 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have no thyroid due to thyroid cancer. Getting your levels balanced with medication is a moving target. I think you have to have ideal body chemistry also in terms of what you eat. No processed foods, low sugar, lots of vegetables and fruits to balance your insulin levels, good sleep, exercise and things to manage stress. Hydration is important also. I have spent five years figuring this out and keeping my weight where I want it to be is more challenging than ever.
  • Sully16
    Sully16 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid issues and it does not seem to matter what I do. I take meds and feel the same as when I don't take meds. Cant loose weight for nothing but can sneeze and gain 3 lbs. I have never understood what is going on with my body. I honestly don't like the meds do anything for me and recently stopped them.

I was diagnosed when I was 8 years old and when I was in college I thought the same thing. I thought, "these meds are doing nothing for me!". I ended up going off my medication for 3 months and let me tell you, they were the worst 3 months of my life. I would sleep for 12 hours and wake up exhausted! Walking up a flight of stairs drained me!

Do NOT go off your medication because while you think it is doing nothing for you, I promise you if you go off, you will realize how much it does for you. Your levels may need to be tested again. I used to go every 6 weeks to get my levels tested and they would always be off and my medication was changing. It's a hassle but it's better for you in the long run.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My worst and scariest symptom was brain fog. I locked my keys in my car several times. I had 3 small children at the time so being forgetful and in a fog was very bad. Also as others have pointed out just because you get medication doesn't mean you will automatically lose weight. It is still a struggle but can be done. I can tell when my levels are off because the brain fog comes back.
  • lighthouse601212
    Options
    I have had that for a long time. Main problem WEIGHT! never had the hair loss or any other symptom - I was told when they did the blood work. As many of the people here say - DON'T GET OFF OF YOUR MEDS! Like an idiot I did and I was so tired all the time. I just never had the time to go and get my meds refilled or go back to my doc to get a new prescription. I could tell as I said.....TIRED!!!!
  • harms97
    harms97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthroid since November. Gained 30 pounds since on it, and was overweight before that. I've lost 15, but I've been working my butt off to do it. I was extremely tired, depressed, losing hair, nails cracking and peeling, severe night sweats, the list goes on. I have noticed a decrease in my symptoms, but it is very hard to lose weight. Go see an endo. Good luck!
  • Getting_Lean
    Options
    Is it likely that you gain weight from medication?
  • verocorreasantander
    Options
    People think that to lose weight you need to stop eating and to exercise a lot. However, I’d like to recommend to you an innovative and effective system. This is the website: www.fatlose.org
  • buschick286
    buschick286 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid issues, as well as sleep apnea due to the weight gain. Brain fog, body temp irregular, fatigue, face blotchy, hot flashes.

BUT... although my numbers came back good, i was still having trouble. Have doc check all your levels. for me, sleep apnea, and thyroid were regulated. but my B vitamins were borerline. Once i added this supplement, i began feeling human again.

I would get a thorough metabolic panel, including any vitamin deficiency.

Good luck
  • thepiratemd
    Options
    Levothyroxine (thyroid hormone replacement) is not usually associated with weight gain.

Hypothyroidism can cause high levels of LDL cholesterol- many doctors I've worked with fail to mention this.
  • mmbrooks5
    mmbrooks5 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am in the process of finishing my degree as a holistic health coach. I have done a lot of research on healing your thyroid. It's really important to chose the right foods to heal your thyroid. Mostly you need to stay away from processed foods, artificial sweeteners, sugar, and get a lot more whole foods in your diet. Happy to help anyone who needs support!!!