Getting Over Gym Anxiety

I get really nervous when I go to work out especially if I do the muscle machines like leg extension or the tricep curl machines. It's getting so bad that I can't even work out in a gym anymore, is this kind of stuff common and how do I get over it?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    What is it that's making you nervous?
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    I don't know how anxious you get or why, but I was very self conscious when I first started going. I was sure everyone was looking at the new fat girl with horror and pity. I got over it by hiring a trainer for 8 sessions and making myself go. I soon discovered that no one was watching me. In a year I've only had 3 people approach me in any way - 2 to tell me they could see a difference, and one asking me about my Body Media armband. I'm still a little self conscious when I'm trying something new but I don't let it stop me!

Go for it!
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    I don't know if it's common or not, but I have trouble going to the gym too. For me, my fear of being watched and criticized kept me pretty much immobilized. I actually finally joined a gym a week ago. It took a lot of self talk to go there... another giant pep talk to meet my trainer... more internal chatter to go to my first solo workout... and it goes on and one. For me, it's a matter of stepping outside my comfort zone and taking the first step. The other thing I need to remember is that most people are too busy thinking about themselves to even notice that I'm there.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    I don't know if it's common or not, but I have trouble going to the gym too. For me, my fear of being watched and criticized kept me pretty much immobilized. I actually finally joined a gym a week ago. It took a lot of self talk to go there... another giant pep talk to meet my trainer... more internal chatter to go to my first solo workout... and it goes on and one. For me, it's a matter of stepping outside my comfort zone and taking the first step. The other thing I need to remember is that most people are too busy thinking about themselves to even notice that I'm there.

Exactly this. You may have a sense that all eyes are on you when you're lifting weights or using the machines, but you're wrong. Most people are there with their headphones in, focused on their workout and not paying attention to anything else.
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    I have the same issue. I get really nervous about working out and ideas flood my head that people will be judging me and I'll do something wrong and get laughed at. I know that my anixety stems from being severly picked on in elementary and middle school. Things people said and did so many years ago have stuck with me and I am still attempting to push past them.

It's weird though. As soon as I get to the gym and start my workout, I lose all focus of what other people MIGHT be thinking (actually, what I am thinking about myself and projecting on to them) and really concentrate on my workout. It might be easier for you if you make a friend at the gym and have a workout buddy. I workout daily with a friend and that also helps kill some of the anxiety I have.

Good luck OP! :flowerforyou:
  • dancinfree
    dancinfree Posts: 37 Member
    I am in this same boat. I need to join a gym to start adding weight training to my routine, but can't bring myself to do it cause I am afraid everyone will look at me while I try to exercise. I know it is all in my head, but need a way to get over it.
  • spgebhart
    spgebhart Posts: 382 Member
    Do you know what specifically is making you anxious? Are you afraid of hurting yourself, or are you worried that other people are looking at you or something?

If you can afford it, maybe you should try a few sessions with a trainer. Having someone to guide you through it and push you harder might move you past the anxiety.
  • Naririn
    Naririn Posts: 24
    I can definitely relate! I've only been going for 2-3 weeks at this point, but it is definitely something that can be anxiety-provoking. It HAS gotten better, though, so there is hope!

I'm lucky enough to have a workout buddy in my sister. Having someone else there that I'm comfortable with has helped me. And getting more comfortable on the equipment seems to be helping, as well - I feel more confident in what I'm doing so I don't worry so much that I look like a "newbie."

I have to agree with the statement regarding people being wrapped up in their own workouts. I know I don't have much time to people watch when I'm doing my thing, so why would others? And when I do happen to watch others, it's usually because I'm envious, lol.

Don't know that I've said anything helpful. Just wanted to say you're not alone in your anxiety/fears/etc.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Talk to people and then you will realize they are just people...I have extreme shy problem.But if I break the ice and just not act like myself for a min it helps and avoiding it makes it worse.You think too much like me it's all in your head so trick yourself into thinking different for a min.Tell yourself you don't really think that way and just go...the more you force yourself to go the easy it will get.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    I know the feeling all to well. You just have to get to a point where you realize that 'this is for me, it's not about anyone else'. You have no control over how anyone else perceives you so why worry about it? And the worst thing you can do is have imaginary conversations in your head about what they may or may not be saying about you. Enjoy, the gym is your own time and your own space to do what you want, look how you want and feel how you want to feel.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Find a friend to go with and you will forget about anyone else
    :wink:
  • BGoodz22
    BGoodz22 Posts: 55 Member
    I get really nervous when I go to work out especially if I do the muscle machines like leg extension or the tricep curl machines. It's getting so bad that I can't even work out in a gym anymore, is this kind of stuff common and how do I get over it?

When i first started lifting i was really intimidated by the "more advanced lifters". I just one day decided i had nothing to worry about and focused on my own goals and have done really well. In fact I learned that most of the people i thought were "advanced lifters" are actually noobies too.

IMO, you just gotta decide that your fitness goals are worth overcoming a little bit of anxiety. After the first time you make that decision it gets dramatically easier to get in the gym and do your thang.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    If you do not have an anxiety disorder or are paranoid schizophrenic, than there is really no good reason to fear the gym. Generally speaking, all are there for their own reasons, and all are at different fitness levels, but I assure you, unless you fart real loud on squats, the whole gym is not watching you. People are focused on their own stuff, and you probably don't even register on their radar. Take it from the fat girl on the boy's side of the gym. I have actually found the guys I lift with to be very encouraging and inspiring and helpful. So suck it up, buttercup! Go hard or go home.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Have you tried to make a friend or workout buddy at the gym? Whenever I'm trying a new exercise, it seems a lot less intimidating if I have someone standing there with me. If you ever talk to someone, try to remember what they look like, and say hello the next time you see them. You'll make lots of acquaintances in no time.

Everyone I've ever talked to at the gym has been nice, and everyone has always been willing to show me how to work a machine.

If you can't afford a trainer, you could try asking someone you admire if you could shadow them for one of their workouts. I find that most people really like to show new people around.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    By the way, I just noticed that you are in Omaha. I used to live there, and one of my best friend's sister teaches Zumba. If you like, I could get the class information, and then you could meet a whole bunch of people who are into fitness. :)
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    When I first started crossfit I was intimidated, but once in, you realize everyone is doing their best just to make it to the end, they have no time to worry about what you are doing.....

After awhile you are so motivated to do better that you don't even worry about others too much. My main concern is not finishing last, lol. Happened today though, but at least I finished

Good luck, just dive head first in and it will get better over time
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    The only time I notice people in the gym is when they're on the equipment I plan to use next. There are people who go to the gym to socialize, but they usually stick to other socializers. Most of us are there to get our workout done and get on with life.

Next time you're feeling a bit nervous, try keeping your focus on something else: your image in the mirror, the floor, the machine you're using. And just think about the next set. The weight, the reps, how you expect it to feel. Don't let yourself get distracted from the next set. That added focus and intensity will probably allow you to push much more weight than you did distracted.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    My first public gym was the Texas A&M Rec center. At first I just went in there to do leg presses (lol if you know me know) as I did the rest of my lifting on an adjustable bench at home.

I was sweating bullets I was so nervous, with no idea why and no reason to be nervous (I was stronger than 90% of the people in there and knew what I was doing on the lifts I did).

It happens to everyone. After a few weeks I was doing my entire workout at the gym instead of at home. I've not looked back since nor been nervous to use a public gym.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    I was the exact same way. When I decided I wanted to start lifting weights (free weights) in early June, I decided to hire a female personal trainer. I worked with her for five weeks and now I'm going solo. Getting a trainer can really help you in getting comfortable with the room, equipment, exercises, and to realize what the others are saying, most people are just like you and just want to get their workout done and care very little about what others are doing. :)
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Someone posted this a while back and I keep it printed at my desk with a picture I found on FB of a guy running with the words "No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch". These have both motivated me and calmed some of my anxiety. I hope they help you as well.

Hey, Fat Girl!

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.