oatmeal

Options
You no every time i eat 1 cup of oatmeal with only 1 tablespoon of brown sugar it is 400 flipping calories it takes up most of my calories for the day are you suppossed to not eat anything the rest of the day except lettuce. I guess you have to only eat oatmeal and nothing else for breakfast like a banana or your at 500 calories. Man this is tuff

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1 cup cooked? Or 1 cup dry?? Try just 1/2 cup dry and add 1 cup of water.

1/2 cup of dry Quaker old fashioned rolled oatmeal is 150 calories, 27g carb, 4 g fiber, 2g fat, 5g protein.

If you make it w/ a cup of skim milk, that adds an extra 80 calories so even then you'd only be getting 230 calories.
  • Raina0512
    Options
    1/2 cup dry is a big portion and only 150 calories... I add a couple tsp. of brown sugar and a little cinnamon... YUMMY! Pretty low calorie breakfast :love:
  • nikki91950
    Options
    one of the many reasons i don't eat oatmeal!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I eat High Fiber Quaker Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal every day... only 160 calories 2 Fat 4 protein and 34 cars (net 24)... I don't usually have anything but coffee with it... but about 10am I have a fruit or almonds before lunch.

I'm not sure what Oatmeal you are eating.. cuz my husband eats regular whole grain oats and his cals are only 150 for 1/2 cup.. 1 cup seems like alot of oats.
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    have a look at my food diary i eat oats every morning with lots of yummy toppings like bananas, peaches, walnuts , raisins, apple compote etc and i hardly ever go over 300cal! you must be having huge bowl of oatmeal every morning! i weigh out 30g dried oats and add half a cup of skim milk and sometimes a little water if i want it to be more runny and then top with some tasty treats after its been microwaved for 2-3 mins
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That's strange, my oatmeal this morning was only 130 calories.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Serving size of most oatmeal is 1/4 - 1/3 cup (dry, which doubles in size cooked). 1/4cup of Quaker Old Fashioned is 75cals. That plus half a large banana and 1/2 cup of Fage Total 0% is 335cal. Replace the banana with a fist-sized apple and it's even less calories. You can get a filling breakfast for reasonable calories if you cut down on the carb and add more protein.
  • tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My oatmeal this morning was 125 calories. quaker instant oatmeal is what I have. 1 package
  • tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    sorry that 130 calories
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You don't need a tablespoon of sugar. Try honey. 1 tablespoon is 60 calories and MUCH sweeter than sugar in my opinion. You can also add spices to make it sweet, like cinnamon and nutmeg. Maybe a splash of vanilla extract as well. Fruits help tremendously, especially sweet berries like strawberries. Also, a favorite fruit in oatmeal so far for me has been apricot. It's DIVINE. Add a TINY bit of honey and cut up apricot and it's as sweet as you'll need it.

PS - 1 cup is A LOT! Is this before it's cooked or after? I use 1/2 cup (before cooked) of an off-brand 100% oats that are quick oats and it expands enough with a cup of water to fill me up with whatever fruit I add to it. I usually eat a hard boiled egg with it as well, on the side, and it fills me up for about 3 hours.
  • proking
    Options
    I have found that 1/2 cup of the Quaker 1 minute oatmeal cooked with 1 cup of water, and only add fruit. like berries, or banana or a peach gives you the nutrition you need and very few calories. My problem I contend with is keeping my sodium down to under 1500 mg per day seems to limit my calories a lot.
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have 1/2 cup every morning with 1 cup of skim milk and some stevia and it's around 250 cals..plus it keeps me going!!