Was losing, hit plateau and then gaining

Options
Hi all, I am looking for folks to reach out and let me know if you have experienced this same thing. I was being successful with my weight loss. Got to a point where I was only 10lbs from goal and then I hit a plateau. I decided to change up my workouts. I added in more days of spin and a bit more weight training. And then I started to gain. I understand people are going to say that muscle weighs more than fat...but I haven't been weight training long enough for any difference to have been made, to be honest. This weekend was a very busy activity weekend (cycled 26 miles on Saturday and yesterday did over 6 miles jog/walk) but I still gained.
Has anyone else had this happen? Any words of wisdom, encouragement or suggestions?
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. Your weight will be trickier to figure out as your get near your goal weight. It sounds like you're super active, so make sure you're eating enough. And if you recently changed up your routine, you are probably sore. Which means your muscles are retaining water as they repair themselves. People will also ask you to open your diary :smile:
  • Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Added excercise you especially cardio can have a temporary retention of water and of course you added weights that will go away. However, if you know your BMR and are going below with excercise the body stores fuel it needs. So look at what your BMR is and make sure your eating enough to fuel your workouts and daily body needs for your body at complete rest (BMR)
  • PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My BMR is just over 1500 and I am eating anywhere from 1150-1450 a day (depending on activity). To be honest, the days that I have high activity for many hours (I train to do endurance events) then I eat more of my exercise calories back. My concern a few weeks ago was that I wasn't eating enough with the addition of weight training and now with the gaining I am not sure if I am eating too much of my activity calories back. Hopefully that made sense.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Probably want to define the timeframes a little more. How long losing, how long plateau, what changed, how long gaining, etc.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight, you're eating too much, unless you are trying to gain. It's really simple. Everything else is total BS.

People think it's magic, but it's not. It's very simple.

Might want to read the thread first. No way she's eating too much. If anything, not enough.

How much of a gain are you talking about? Gaining is a normal part of weight loss, it just usually doesn't last.
  • LindamWarner
    Options
    I agree with the one that said your muscles may be retaining fluids. Keep drinking plenty of water. Don't get discouraged. Be sure you're getting at least 8 hours of sleep each night and keep a good diet, with fiber. If you're exercising and keeping your calories down, you will start losing again.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight, you're eating too much, unless you are trying to gain. It's really simple. Everything else is total BS.

People think it's magic, but it's not. It's very simple.

Might want to read the thread first. No way she's eating too much. If anything, not enough.

How much of a gain are you talking about? Gaining is a normal part of weight loss, it just usually doesn't last.

LOL. Thanks for the insight. I'll try to be more careful with my recommendations in the future. In fact, can I just refer you?

If she is gaining weight she is not in a deficit she is obviously in a surplus. But as someone else asked, how long have you been gaining? I know some of you don't agree with what Jerry is saying but he is correct. It takes a calorie surplus to gain weight period. All a plateau is, is your body's new maintenance calories. This happens after a while whether you are bulking or trying to lose fat. Just lower your calories by about 250 or so from what you are eating now and see what happens.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My point was, before everyone tells her to eat less because she's gaining weight, is that you can't say that unless you have all the facts. Water retention happens all the time to females, and it doesn't mean that we're all eating too much. But the OP hasn't said more except that she's 'gaining'. For all I know she could have gained 3 lbs in the 4 days before her period and might be freaking out.

All I'm saying.
  • PLoveElliott
    Options
    Hi Everyone...thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

I had a really active weekend and apparently my body decided to retain water. I couldn't see that through my discouraged eyes...though my doctor pointed it out to me (had a previous appt and addressed it while I was there). She pointed out the puffiness in my legs and was pretty positive it was water retention after I told her of the almost 8 mile jog on Sunday and 26 mile bike ride on Saturday. Today I weighed and was 4lbs down and my legs don't look puffy anymore.

I never really believed in the water retention after a hard workout (have completed several centuries, marathons and triathlons)...probably b/c I had never paid attention and I used to ice bath all of the time which helped with swelling.
    I appreciate everyone's feedback and coming to help talk me off the mental ledge that I had so quickly put myself on.
  • PLoveElliott
    Options
    Jerry, I haven't re-assessed my calorie intake...but I see your point and I will look into that. Thank you!
  • lodouglas
    lodouglas Posts: 2
    Options
    This has happened to almost everyone who is trying to lose weight. Remember that as you lose weight, your body will require fewer calories "maintenance" daily: you are lugging around less weight luggage! This is a good thing, but you might need to adjust your daily goal down 50-100 calories, and add one more veggie to the day to make up for the food volume. Don't be discouraged: this is the long haul, not a sprint!! even marathoners hit the wall...and push through. Check a "maintenance calorie " (basal metabolic rate) for your new weight, recalculate, and keep up the GREAT work. congrats on all you have accomplished so far!! :smile: