Severe Fatigue

Options
Ok MFP'ers I could use some advice. On certain days (like today) I have severe fatigue. It's so intense I really don't even want to get out of bed. I like to run, obviously and in the summer I usually do some hiking, weights, biking etc. I take a B complex everyday for the most part I keep up hydration and I know for sure the last week I've done a good job with protein....I made sure of it. I did 2 weights sessions last week ran a double last Monday (8,6) ran 8 on Wednesday. weight sessions were Tues. and Thurs. I took a break Friday did nothing, hiked 2 miles sat. and 3 miles Sunday and ran 11 miles. yesterday. I felt bad yesterday tooI had to struggle to get my miles in and felt horrible afterwords. I carbo loaded Sunday night and had oatmeal before running yesterday, I also tried to eat a lot yesterday evening even though I wasn't that hungry. I also used a powerbar gel during my run my feel bad carried over to today and I feel horrible almost like I'm getting sick. I've done this before but there sn't a consiatant pattern....sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. Maybe the hikes pushed it into overtraing? I did notice I wasn't as hungry as usual last week not enough calories?Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? Anyone have any advice?I would love to fix this common problem I seem to have. Thanks in advance! Also I would like to add I have been runnine fxor a few years and this is the first year I have experienced this problem. Please excuse typo's I'm using the mobile version.

Replies

• 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You keep your diary private so no help on judging that.

Also, ever had any issues with allergies? You're in the midwest like me, so allergy index has been high. Also, we had a high pressure system for over a week, and now a dramatic shift with a low pressure system that caused myself and everyone around me to get a headache and issues with trying to stay awake. All your time outside might be the culprit...
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Most likely not enough sleep and/or not eating enough. With that much running, you should only have a very small deficit in my opinion, or you are going to be exhausted!
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I forgot abt. the allergies. I've had a sinus infection 2x this year already I'm sure that does contribute to the issue!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Check your diet, sleep, hydration, and allergies. If you are continuously fatigued over the next couple weeks then go get some blood work done. Check your Thyroid and Testosterone.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. I had similar fatigue and ended up being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thyroid? Or depression...it can sneak up on you.
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you know what your morning resting heart rate is... Check what it is tomorrow morning while laying in bed. If it is higher than normal chances are you are overtraining. Also it will take your heart rate longer to even out after a burst of activity. We learned this in my Exercise Science/Physiology class.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am tired 1000% of the time.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,034 Member
    Options
    It could be overtraining, but it could be Lyme disease (especially if you are a hiker). I don't mean to freak you out, but go to the doctor.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into allergies, especially food allergies as well. I'm allergic to a bunch of things, including wheat (the actual plant, not gluten), so if I eat too much I'm wiped out for days later. It's the kind of tired that nothing can fix. Also make sure you're not dehydrated. Usually when I get that way I try to drink lots of water, coffee or energy drinks. As others said it could be any other medical disorder too. Also, make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector for your home! Small amounts can cause fatigue, it's a silent killer!