Hormonal imbalance due to exercise and diet?

Options
So, long story short is: I'm 26, been off of Depo after 13 years for going on 8 months now in hopes of having a regular/natural cycle/body. The doctor told me that it might take up to a year to get my period back (and I knew this because I once went 8 months in my teens years off of Depo and never had a period...and I never really had one before I got on Depo in my early teens).

Anywho, so starting right after I was due for my shot in January, my periods came. At first I bleed for 1.5 months straight! Then I went to every 2 weeks for about 1.5 months then once a month ONCE, and now it is back to every 2 weeks....it is UTTERLY maddening! I never am not in PMS mode or on my period. I have "gained" so much weight during this time too, but I'm also lifting really heavy since getting off Depo, so some is muscle gain and my body fat percentage hasn't increased.

I went to the doctor, and my gyno said it could be a thyroid hormone imbalance or possibly amenia. Blood test confirmed everything is normal. I talked to a trainer last night, and he said he doesn't think I over exercise (to the point that it is messing with my hormones), but it more than likely is due to my diet. I eat SUPER high in protein and a lot of it comes from supplements. He said specifically whey protein is the worse because the body can't process it as efficiently as vegetable. So, that is leading to my weight gain (not body fat percentage since that has stayed steady with the weight gain but rather just being "backed up/denser....G.I. tract isn't functioning properly." He said getting the majority of my protein from animal v. vegetable will have effects on hormones because what I'm eating more than likely has hormones in it. When I told him specifically what was going on, he said, "That's it? I know some women who get so screwed up they start growing hair!" So, it sounds like I'm not the only one!

Question: does anyone else have hormonal imbalances due to their exercise and diet? Has this been confirmed by a doctor? I fear my gyno is clueless about how diet and exercise of an athlete since she isn't a sports doctor or dietician! I'd like to hear stories of those who have hormonal imbalances due to other reasons too...just so I can learn as much as possible.

HELP! :ohwell:

Thanks!

Replies

• cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    No one? :frown:
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    have you been eating at a caloric deficit for a long period of time? It is known that prolonged dieting will mess up hormonal levels and diet breaks are recommended to help your body reset.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe the stuff about vegetable protein vs. whey... Sounds like your doctor needs to brush up on the research, to be honest. Whey protein is absorbed rapidly and utilized almost completely compared to most vegetable protein sources. Maybe your doctor meant something else by this, or something was lost in your translation, but it's completely backwards from what research shows.

I cannot comment on the Depo issue, other than it can take some time for your body to work things out when synthetic hormones are introduced or removed. Since you are adding to this changes in what you eat and how you exercise, it isn't surprising that your body went a little haywire. The scientific approach to figuring this out would be to change only one thing at a time. If you are going off hormonal birth control and want to minimize the effects of the transition, keep your diet and activity the same, at least for a while. This kind of ties in with ahmadfahmy's point about diet breaks.

Have a look at Lyle McDonald's site--he talks about diet breaks and covers protein issues in exhaustive detail.

http://bodyrecomposition.com/articles

[EDIT] -- I just re-read your post, OP, and realized I misunderstood who was responsible for the vegetarian vs. whey protein claim. Do not listen to your trainer--they are not supposed to give nutrition advice, at least not in the US. And s/he doesn't know which way is up, from the sound of it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eating at too much of a deficit for a long time will stop periods, it won't cause them to come too often. Honestly, after being on depo for so long, most likely it is just going to take some time for your body to regulate to more normal cycles.

I don't believe whey protein is any different than consuming dairy products and would take what that trainer says with a big grain of salt. The women he says are growing hair are taking steroids, not only whey protein.

What is your body fat %?
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    YES! Ok so this has NOTHING to do with your protein/whey supps. Seriously thats crazy talk. Its all about how much you are working out - creating natural testosterone versus estrogen. The more you workout, the less fat, more muscle = more testosterone in your body = less to no periods. happens to gymnastic girls, track runners and pretty much most women who are seriously athletic. And I don't mean the "softball athletes women" I mean lean, muscular women who have little body fat.

When I started my fitness program last year, I went balls to the wall. I lost about 15 lbs and was down to 110lbs at about 17% body fat. This was also after I quit depo! I stopped having my periods for about 8 months. I crashed hard, gained all 15 back and my cycle came back normal. Now I am down 10lbs, I get my cycle, about every 35 days and it only lasts about a day or two. super light too. Doctor says its fine as long as I am getting them. I also switch to birth control to seasonal.

you are totally normal.. hit me up with questions if you have any. trust me, I've gone round and round with my GP, Gyno and dietitian.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Her problem is bleeding too much/too often. Not lack of periods.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    So, long story short is: I'm 26, been off of Depo after 13 years for going on 8 months now in hopes of having a regular/natural cycle/body. The doctor told me that it might take up to a year to get my period back (and I knew this because I once went 8 months in my teens years off of Depo and never had a period...and I never really had one before I got on Depo in my early teens).

Anywho, so starting right after I was due for my shot in January, my periods came. At first I bleed for 1.5 months straight! Then I went to every 2 weeks for about 1.5 months then once a month ONCE, and now it is back to every 2 weeks....it is UTTERLY maddening! I never am not in PMS mode or on my period. I have "gained" so much weight during this time too, but I'm also lifting really heavy since getting off Depo, so some is muscle gain and my body fat percentage hasn't increased.

I went to the doctor, and my gyno said it could be a thyroid hormone imbalance or possibly amenia. Blood test confirmed everything is normal. I talked to a trainer last night, and he said he doesn't think I over exercise (to the point that it is messing with my hormones), but it more than likely is due to my diet. I eat SUPER high in protein and a lot of it comes from supplements. He said specifically whey protein is the worse because the body can't process it as efficiently as vegetable. So, that is leading to my weight gain (not body fat percentage since that has stayed steady with the weight gain but rather just being "backed up/denser....G.I. tract isn't functioning properly." He said getting the majority of my protein from animal v. vegetable will have effects on hormones because what I'm eating more than likely has hormones in it. When I told him specifically what was going on, he said, "That's it? I know some women who get so screwed up they start growing hair!" So, it sounds like I'm not the only one!

Question: does anyone else have hormonal imbalances due to their exercise and diet? Has this been confirmed by a doctor? I fear my gyno is clueless about how diet and exercise of an athlete since she isn't a sports doctor or dietician! I'd like to hear stories of those who have hormonal imbalances due to other reasons too...just so I can learn as much as possible.

HELP! :ohwell:

Thanks!

This is utter nonsense. Whey protein has the highest bioavailibility of any protein. It is actually easier to process than vegetable proteins for your body. There are no hormones in whey protein, your trainer is talking out of his a**.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Did you have a full hormone panel? Did you have a vaginal ultrasound? It could be PCOS
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your thyroid was ok? They say "normal," but what was the number. I had a normal number, but had a lot of the symptoms. I found a Dr that would treat my symptoms, and I am much happier and healthier now.

I went off the BCP about a year ago? or so to regulate my hormones. I have been reading up on regulating hormones through diet - two books that I found particularly helpful are "Master Your Metabolism" - Michaels, and "The Thyroid Solution Diet" - Arem. They were both at my local library. I also liked the Younger (Thinner) You Diet, which was about balancing your brain chemicals with diet (Thyroid Solution has a lot of the same info). In the mean time, I think your diet is fine, but I would sugges you buy organic, free range meats and cheeses (raw). I also buy a antibiotic/hormone free/grass fed whey protein. Slowly switch over to more natural products, like shampoo, conditioners, lotions, make-up. I even switched over to using vinegar and hydrogen peroxide as cleaning supplies (and they work better than commercial brands - even my husband was impressed!).

These changes have helped me tremendously. I always had regular periods, but I was frought with terrible PMS and mood swings. I was always emotional about something and I fed my inner demons food. I wanted to stop the cycle - I felt out of control all the time. I do not feel that way anymore. I have my moments, but honestly, things have stabilized and even my husband commented how much better I am doing.

I also exercise a lot and it has always been good for me. Unless you suspect adrenal fatigue, I think you are fine. I cut back recently because of just not having the time (and being away from home a lot), and haven't noticed much of a difference. I went from 6-7 days to 2-3.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    A long, long time ago, I read (or saw on tv? - thats how 'well' i remember) that the hormones from taking the pill may get stored in fat cells, so very overweight people may need higher dosages to stay protected. Then, when you lose weight/fat, those hormones come back out...

Not very sure about the source of this, but may be something to look up.
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    I've been missing periods and having hormonal changes... I suspect it's because of my diet. I just saw my dr yesterday so am waiting to get blood work results back to get it confirmed.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    have you been eating at a caloric deficit for a long period of time? It is known that prolonged dieting will mess up hormonal levels and diet breaks are recommended to help your body reset.

I eat super high protein and around 2200 a day. Def not a deficit. I've been gaining weight. But I am lifting super heavy, so I need the calories to build muscle.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    Eating at too much of a deficit for a long time will stop periods, it won't cause them to come too often. Honestly, after being on depo for so long, most likely it is just going to take some time for your body to regulate to more normal cycles.

I don't believe whey protein is any different than consuming dairy products and would take what that trainer says with a big grain of salt. The women he says are growing hair are taking steroids, not only whey protein.

What is your body fat %?

I am at around 20%. Up from 19% or so.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    That is a healthy body fat %, seems unlikely that would be the cause of hormonal difficulties.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    That is a healthy body fat %, seems unlikely that would be the cause of hormonal difficulties.

This is why I assume my extreme exercising might be doing it. When I asked a trainer, he said most likely diet. Doctor says bloodwork is normal. I asked about PCOS and the doctor sais theres no indication of it.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options

This is why I assume my extreme exercising might be doing it. When I asked a trainer, he said most likely diet. Doctor says bloodwork is normal. I asked about PCOS and the doctor sais theres no indication of it.

If you are having irregular cycles then your doctor should be checking your hormones. I don't see why they would say no PCOS. People experience it so differently. My ovaries are covered in cysts but I am thin, not hair, have a clear complexion etc. I am not your typical case. Actually my hormones were at normal levels but it doesn't appear I ovulate. I guess I am a mystery. But if I were you. I would want more tests! I assumed I was totally ok and after TTC for 13 months with no pregnancy it was clear I was not.
  • deksgrl
    Options

We have already established that the trainer is full of crap.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I have doubts that your symptoms would be related to diet and exercise, but I am going to suggest doing some online research regarding coming off Depo because something is twigging about having read about others experiencing the same screwed up cycles for some time after coming off that stuff.

Good luck in getting it sorted out, it's got to be miserable to deal with.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

If you are having irregular cycles then your doctor should be checking your hormones. I don't see why they would say no PCOS. People experience it so differently. My ovaries are covered in cysts but I am thin, not hair, have a clear complexion etc. I am not your typical case. Actually my hormones were at normal levels but it doesn't appear I ovulate. I guess I am a mystery. But if I were you. I would want more tests! I assumed I was totally ok and after TTC for 13 months with no pregnancy it was clear I was not.

That's exactly what she said. "You aren't overweight. You don't have bad ache." She pretty much gave no thought to it. Something is not right. I know that. I will demand more testing. Ill give it what she said....2 more months. That will be almost 9 months off Depo. If it isnt starting to regulate at all, I will ask for farther evaluations. She just always dismisses anything I bring up as normal or not long enough to be concerned.
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Did you have a full hormone panel? Did you have a vaginal ultrasound? It could be PCOS

This. Before they confirmed I have PCOS I would not have a period for months (6-12 months) and then would bleed like crazy for up to a month. I would talk to your doctor.