Why does Atkins work?

Options
I know how it works and what it's about, but if it's simply a matter of calories in vs out then why are so many people losing a lot of weight on atkins? I know people who eat their TDEE and over every day yet still shed weight consistently compared to when they they tried conventional dieting of eating less calories. I don't want to cause any debates here, I'm just after the science behind this particular diet as I can't seem to find it on Google.

I know for some people it doesn't work and I also imagine that if you suddenly stopped and ate "normally" you'd just put the weight back on.

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    they are eating under their TDEE
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    also depleting glycogen makes you lose "fakeweight" otherwise known as waterweight.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-sensitivity-and-fat-loss.html

Lyle McDonald explains it best at the link above. Some general info not included in above link is that being insulin resistant is the same thing as being prediabetic. Different names, same thing. One third of the American population is insulin resistant. Blood glucose kit can help you determine if you are sensitive or resistant.

Edit: Dr. Atkins created the diet for diabetics. With a one third estimation of the American population being insulin resistant, most people are in denial to get tested. AMA recommends you test if you have 30 pounds of excess fat. Oral Glucose Tolerance Test is more accurate at testing prediabetes, not fasting glucose test.

• markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    IMO peps going on Adkins do two things....

1. eat at a deficit
    2. finally avoid processed carbs.

I think it's really not eating food that comes out of a box that makes the difference.
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    also depleting glycogen makes you lose "fakeweight" otherwise known as waterweight.
    This
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    They're still under calorie restriction.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't want to enter into any debate about this one.... but the movie FatHead probably gives a better description of low to moderate carb theories than most things I have seen. You can watch it free on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs

The gist of it is lowering your blood glucose by consuming less sugars/starches, and thus your insulin response....which in turn should lower the fat storage.

Folks will debate till blue in the face over it all.

Personally, I can only say moderate to lower carb has helped me control blood sugars and drop pounds better than calorie control alone. But I also agree, the overall calorie number is important too. I don't think too low is good, nor do I think an unlimited amount of calories is fine even if it is low carb.

I think different bodies have slightly different needs. Overall, it is worth paying attention to BOTH calories and carbs in my opinion. I hope the link helps.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I don't want to enter into any debate about this one.... but the movie FatHead probably gives a better description of low to moderate carb theories than most things I have seen. You can watch it free on youtube.

The gist of it is lowering your blood glucose by consuming less sugars/starches, and thus your insulin response....which in turn should lower the fat storage.

Personally, I can only say moderate to lower carb has helped me control blood sugars and drop pounds better than calorie control alone. But I also agree, the overall calorie number is important too. I don't think too low is good, nor do I think an unlimited amount of calories is fine even if it is low carb.

I think different bodies have slightly different needs. Overall, it is worth paying attention to BOTH calories and carbs in my opinion. I hope the link helps.

What are your blood glucose levels on average? What were they before you went low carb?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Higher protein = greater satiety = consistent calorie deficit
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    6 oz of Boneless, skinless chicken breast is about 150 calories. 2 pieces of Wonder white bread is 158. Which of those will fill you up more and longer?

More protein normally equals less calories for more food and longer satiety.

It's a numbers game.

IMHO

I'm probably wrong, but it sounded good in my head.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

I'm probably wrong, but it sounded good in my head.

No, you're right.

Horizon (a science programme here in the UK) documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMuyJhMcE0
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    Higher protein = greater satiety = consistent calorie deficit

Not Atkins specifically but you also burn more calories digesting foods high in protein. I find that if I eat a diet higher in protein, I lose weight more easily without going to the extreme's of Atkins....even if the calorie count was the same.
  • emcdonie
    Options
    [/quote]

What are your blood glucose levels on average? What were they before you went low carb?
    [/quote]

First, carb wise I have been usually in the 100 carb range. I do have occasional days that exceed. So I am not Atkins level low carb. But it does let me acheieve great control. When I started last year my fastings were regularly 135-155. My after meals and random could spike to around 200 ish at times. Not always, but often.

I am no longer even diabetic now...rather technically I am 'in remission'. I no longer take 2000 of metformin daily. My fasting blood sugars have not breached 105 in a while. Usually the 90's nowadays.

My fasting was always my biggest problem number. I have had no random or after meal reads go higher than 120 for a long time either, even when I cheat with a higher carb meal or snack occasionally. Staying overall lower/moderate carb has helped a ton. I also credit the Good Lord just having mercy on me too. :-)
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh, you eat LOTS of food out of the box on Atkins. Shakes, bars, baking mixes, low carb baked goods. All full of soy and artificial sweeteners.

You don't HAVE to do Atkins that way, but it is very easy to get sucked into it. So you wind up still eating a great deal of sweet foods.

I would recommend Gary Taubes as a resource if you are really interested in how insulin and hormones impact weight
    Loss/obesity. They are currently researching which comes first, obesity or insulin resistance.

Is low carb for everyone? Nope. But for people with certain medical conditions, it is a great way to learn to use food as medicine. Johns Hopkins has been treating epilepsy with ketogenic diets for 100 years. The science IS there.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Dr. Neil Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes
    Food Revolution by John Robbins
    Watch any lecture by Dean Ornish, M.D.

Excessive meat consumption triples your risk of certain types of cancers: mainly: breast, prostate and colon.

World class athletes are learning that vegan or vegetarian diets are giving them a performance edge in their sports.

Vegan and vegetarian diets are generally better at reducing insulin resistance (increasing insulin sensitivity).

The more vegetables you eat, the less of the bad stuff you eat.

Eating a meat heavy diet is quite probably bad for your kidneys, your vascular system, and your heart. The Western diet, high in meat consumption, tracks with heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

There are plenty of medical doctors that now advocate a vegetarian or vegan diet. Note, the first U.S. government panel tasked with creating the first food pyramid was going to advise Americans to eat "little to no meat products." The cattle association got an advanced copy of their report and collectively freaked the F out. They lobbied the government to rework their findings not include this suggestion in the final report. The entire history of this was published in the New York Times. It was about 15 pages worth of article. I didn't look extensively for it, but if you look for an NY Times article that talks about the food pyramid task force in the 70's, you're getting warmer.

Atkins is good at burning glycogen storage in your liver in the first weeks. This is the "easy" weight to lose. Weightloss slows way down after that. My brother has been on again off again Atkins and has
    1) never been ever to stick to it for the longterm
    2) never loses much after the first few weeks
    3) belittles and condescends me constantly for being a vegetarian. I have lost 110 pounds since starting WW. For at least 5 years I have been a vegetarian, and I get to eat very large volumes of vegetables and thus can trigger the "full" sensation because eating sessions have to do with food volumes as much as anything else.

These are just my points. Google the things I've mentioned, consider reading the books I've mentioned, or watch Dean Ornish's lectures on YouTube.

I will not get mired in a debate over my facts. If you don't agree, feel free to post responses. But replying for me would just be redundant. I have heavily researched these issues. Atkins may work for some, but they are going to damage their kidneys in the long term because Ketosis is not a positive condition. It is the body's homeostasis run amok. Homeostasis is the measure of the body's internal functions working harmoniously and in alignment. Ketosis is not a positive internal body chemistry. At least research the critics of Atkins for their views on Ketosis. You are playing with your body chemistry in the worst way when you starve yourself of all carbs. I eat 200 or more carbs a day and I lose weight EASILY when I stick to program.

edit: I don't mean to sound hostile in that final paragraph. Debates over the Atkins diet on MFP boards are constant. People on both sides have very strong opinions about it. I usually stay out of it. People usually don't change their minds when they feel so strongly about it. I'm fine with anyone not agreeing with what I said in this post. But I'm prophylactically stating that I have said what I have to say, and if you don't agree, there is really nothing more I have to say against the Atkins diet.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Fathead's main takeaway is eating at a deficit causes weight loss, most of the other stuff in the movie was nonsense
  • emcdonie
    Options
    Myself, I don't eat the 'low carb' products. Never have. I agree they are full of junk. Might as well eat the Hershey bar I ate last night. LOL
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Consumption of protein signals the body to produce glucagon, which is the hormone that mobilizes fat stores. That, combined with carb reduction, results in weight loss. SMHO, but Atkins isn't doable for life.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Because it has the side effect of putting the practitioner into a calorie deficit