A very true, but scary story

Options
I go now every 3 months or so to Health Fair sponsored by the local grocery store for its customers. For 3 bucks, you can get your blood pressure, Total Cholesterol and Triglicirides check

I had great numbers since my regular Dr told me to lose 100 lbs......I have lost 88 lbs so far, with about 35 left

Ok, so I m going up to the Pharmists window with my receipt/results of my tests, with Trglicirides of 90, and Total Cholesterol of only 103, and she said , wow, " these are really impressive sir, for a man of 55, you are doing great"
I

I thanked her, and she said that now " as a pharmicist, Im now filling perscriptions for obese teenagers, and I just filled out one for a hyper tension medicine for a 280 lb 12 year old gir" she then went on to say, " As a pharmacist, I m shocked at all the new perscriptions I am now filling out for obese and morbidly obese teenagers here in Texas, just like this one, for the 12 year old morbidly obese gilr".........

Now can you imagine, being only 12 years old and being diagnosed with hypertension/ high blood pressure?

Whoa......

I see it now, esp at the grocery stores, these kids are huge.....I live in S. Texas, and the food culture is hevily Mexican and sadly, all those flour tortillas, queso dips, and refried beans are taking its toll on the kids......

the major city I live in has, according to the US Govt, an over weight rate of 40%..........
Scary, huh

Oh well, just wanted to pass this story along....... Again, if it can be used for motivation, wonderful.

I am physcially so very much better off than I was this time last year..........To look nice is great, but for me, my blood pressure, blood sugars and cholesterols are so important for a happy golden years life that I want to enjoy.........Im 55, so Im getting closer to the retirement years, and I know they are just around the corner, I want to be here to enjoy them

I am also not so afraid to go to my drs office, or if I had to have surgery, I dont have to worry so much about dying from the anasthsia, or that I would have to have 3 or 4 people lift me on the operating table.......I know it sounds weird, but I would be so ashamed if that were to ever happen........

Good luck in your weight loss journey, folks. I hope this story helps motivate you ........Lloyd

Replies

• xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Scary, indeed. Another scary fact is that this is happening at the other end of the extreme--I took a nutrition class in my last year of university, and in our eating disorder lecture, they mentioned that they're actively treating 12- and 13-year old girls for full-blown anorexia, and that they're seeing disordered eating patterns in kids as young as 6. (*HOW* does a 6-year-old even learn disordered eating?!!) And it's sad that this is primarily a "developed" nation's problem--we're so far ahead of the rest of the world in so many other aspects, but something as essential as eating is so screwed up for us. Siiigh.

And by the way, congrats on your numbers!! It's awesome that you've been willing and able to do what you've done!
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    OMG that is really scary and sad. Our culture in America has become to rely solely on fast food/processed food and it's killing us slowly. I am not a parent yet, but I refuse to become one who runs to the drive-thru constantly for a quick lunch/dinner, etc. It's convenience is the ONLY benefit (instead of actually taking the time to prepare a decent, healthier dinner at home). When I finally do have a family of my own one day I want to instill upon them that fast food and things of the sort should be a last resort only and be very limited in consumption. That's how I live now and how I plan on keeping it. I almost never go out to lunch, very infrequent trips with fast food, etc. and yet I'm surrounded by people daily who think it's OK to eat a 1,000+ calorie meal in one sitting. It's horrendous really. I think America as a whole needs to realize that this lifestyle will only shorten our lives. Don't sacrifice your health and welfare to convenience. The ten minutes it takes to prepare a lunch for work the next day far outweighs a quick trip to McD's! My biggest issue is finding time for a really good workout, which is a work in progress... but I'm keepin on and trying to do things in moderation at least. :-)
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    its all fat, fast foods pizza as much as they want when they want .people need to go back to the family meals thats hard with both parents working the kids raise tham selves
  • rmccully
    Options
    WOW THAT IS CRAZY.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    What sad AND scary story. Our society is all about fast food and easy, high fat versions of everything. I had a "scare" story of my own but it was my own personal experience that opened my eyes. I was at my childrens' high school yesterday and there was a young lady in there, about 17 years old, she was about 5'7" and had to weigh close to 350 lbs. I felt so sorry for her. She had such a beautiful smile and I can only imagine how cruel others had been to her because, lets face it, kids can be very cruel. My daughter has a new friend that is here as an exchange student from Sweden. She asked my daughter why all American's eat fast food all the time. My daughter asked her why she thought that and she said that her host family only feeds them fast food. They have 7 exchange students in their house!!! What a sad message to send home with those kids!!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have to say as a child I wasn't depreived anything but we had a garden and there wasn't any fast food close by and guess what I did all day I played at outside on my bike..no video games....Our school is limiting the calories that we can send to parties....yet they feed our kids crap in the lunch room....I don't think twice a year is the problem....They only get gym twice a week if they are lucky and they feed them crap....
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Its cheaper eat a Mc Donalds Happy Meal, with the burger, fries and cola than it is to buy a fresh garden salad

Im not kidding, but anyone who knows how government operates, they will give 56 billions to corn farmers to raise corn, but literally NOTHING to organic vegetable farmers

Look at the products you buy next time youre are the store...........

Its LOADED with glucose, and corn starch, corn syrup ,etc............all corn based additives that DESTROY the body

I stay clear of PROCESSED REFINED foods, try to at times buy Organic, its expensive, so I look for sales, but for me, I have totally stayed away from processed foods to get to where I am...........Lloyd