Anyone have a Chimichurri recipe WITHOUT Olive Oil?

Options
Jannine219
Jannine219 Posts: 1 Member
Does anyone have a Chimichurri sauce recipe WITHOUT Olive Oil or oil of any kind? Thanks!

Replies

• RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    first off if you remove the oil you will remove a lot of flavor! the oil is used to spread the flavors to start with flavor compounds in lot of the fresh herbs are fat soluble having said that, its not possible to make chimichurri without oil but it is more then possible to make an herb paste.

so get fresh parsley, garlic, oregano and a good vinegar to bind since ull be leaving out the oil and then rub on the meat/meats you will be eating it with.

if you change your mind about the olive oil I would get a very fresh olive oil because it provides flavor a light crisp fruity flavor to the chimichurri without it you have a herb paste.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You're going to need some sort of liquid in it to keep it from being a pastey mess and I think that whatever acidic liquid you use (vinegar or lemon juice), you're going to need a little bit of oil to balance it out. You could try just omitting it from the recipe you're thinking of, but really, olive oil is very good for you! I would try using half of the recommended amount before leaving it out completely.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a Chimichurri sauce recipe WITHOUT Olive Oil or oil of any kind? Thanks!

Wait wut? Why are you looking for such a thing?

I suppose it'd be possible to use another liquid and then thicken it with xanthan or something like that though
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    *looks up chimichurri*

I get the impression that trying to make chimichurri with no olive oil would be like trying to make a California roll with no rice. You could probably get a similar overall flavor by using some of the liquid from a can of olives but that could get touchy and you still wouldn't have the same texture.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    EVOO is amazing. <3.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You're going to need some sort of liquid in it to keep it from being a pastey mess and I think that whatever acidic liquid you use (vinegar or lemon juice), you're going to need a little bit of oil to balance it out. You could try just omitting it from the recipe you're thinking of, but really, olive oil is very good for you! I would try using half of the recommended amount before leaving it out completely.

Agreed. You can lessen the EVOO and add a little extra liquid. But really, how much chimichurri do you eat? A serving is probably only about 2 Tbsp, so that's less than 1 Tbsp of olive oil...
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    *looks up chimichurri*

I get the impression that trying to make chimichurri with no olive oil would be like trying to make a California roll with no rice. You could probably get a similar overall flavor by using some of the liquid from a can of olives but that could get touchy and you still wouldn't have the same texture.
    [/quote/*

Chmichurri is a fairly recent invention. It is neither mexican ( and in the Mexican diet traditionally no olive oil is used for everyday cooking ) nor is it mediterranian. This in my book means that any good cooking oil would do.
    But if I were in the OP's place; and here I agree with you, if I would like to avoid any oil, I would just eat something different , since fat seems to be necessary to make a good Chimichurri.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is good for you, though. No need to cut it out unless it makes you sick or something.
  • _Wild_Card_
    _Wild_Card_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Yea there might be one but its gonna suck
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Chmichurri sauce has extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) .

It is a very important ingredient, otherwise it is not chimichurri sauce.

EVOO is very healthy. It is the major oil component in my cooking. I lost 23 pounds and my BMI is under 25.0

I wish you luck in your journet
  • chefstew79
    chefstew79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just leave the oil out Puree parsley, garlic, thyme lemon juice, salt & pepper, cilantro. Add a dash of vinegar and grey poupon to help bind it
  • RobTheGourmet
    Options
    Just leave the oil out Puree parsley, garlic, thyme lemon juice, salt & pepper, cilantro. Add a dash of vinegar and grey poupon to help bind it

it still will be just a herb paste not a chimichurri which was the point I made earlier ;p
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I think I have to apologize:
    I am a non - native speaker of English ( it being my fourth language ) and I confused the very delicious Chimichurri sauce with the not so delicious Chimichanga.
    The first definitely needs oil, but can be replaced in many cases with the Mexican Pico de Gallo ( that's what I do ) that has only lim/lemon juice.....
    Again, apologies for the confusion.
  • chefstew79
    chefstew79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Chimichanga: don’t use olive oil at all, it has a low smoking point and is not suitable for deep frying. Use canola, peanut or vegetable oil (if you are going to fry it). A Chimichanga is essentially a fried burrito, without the fry its just a burrito.
  • RobTheGourmet
    Options
    Chimichanga: don’t use olive oil at all, it has a low smoking point and is not suitable for deep frying. Use canola, peanut or vegetable oil (if you are going to fry it). A Chimichanga is essentially a fried burrito, without the fry its just a burrito.

tex-mex at its finest tho the chimichanga is :)
  • nanettepyatt
    nanettepyatt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My mom is allergic to olive oil, but I would still like her to enjoy a similar flavor as best as possible with the fat, so I know that olive oil cannot be flavor replaced in this regard, but does anybody know which oil or have an alternative recipe that is good?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    My mom is allergic to olive oil, but I would still like her to enjoy a similar flavor as best as possible with the fat, so I know that olive oil cannot be flavor replaced in this regard, but does anybody know which oil or have an alternative recipe that is good?

I would try avocado oil, a nut oil (like walnut oil), or grapeseed oil.

FYI, in the future, it would be better to start a new thread rather than piggyback on an existing one. For a current thread, it's considered rude to hijack someone's thread with your own questions. And for an old thread (this one is five years old, aka a zombie thread), lots of people will open it up and respond to the original post, not realizing the original poster is unlikely to still be looking for an answer.