I'm new here, so patience please. :)

Options
Hello,
I read all the articles today for newbies and I did not see my concern addressed. So, I apologize if this has been asked before, but here goes...

I'm doing a mix of strength training and cardio 4 days a week at the gym here at work before I go home each day. I do work out for about 40-45 minutes a day, but not all of that is cardio. About 10-15 minutes of that time is strength training. I do different muscle groups on opposite days so the muscles I worked the previous day get their rest. My question is, why isn't strength training counted towards my time exercised a day? And why aren't the calories counted either? I feel like my calorie/time goals for exercise for the week is skewed because it only counts my cardio time and calories per day.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

Naturebeckles

Replies

• LiamsMommy215
    LiamsMommy215 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I noticed this as well. I am also wondering as to why it does not add to the calorie count
  • autopilot_on
    autopilot_on Posts: 388
    Options
    Yeah it's strange isn't it? I log my strength training as cardio. I have to calculate my calories burned but then it shows up on my feed as exercise.
  • shayleac
    shayleac Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You can add it as a cardivascular exercise, just search strength training.
  • a1wonder
    a1wonder Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not an admin at the site but it honestly it strength training is very subjective, the best way to imput those calories and time would be to go and by an Heart Rate Monitor. This could also be said for cardio but that gives you at least a general idea.

Some people rest 10 seconds between sets, others do cardio in the middle of their rest, other tackle two groups so while their resting one area they're working another to keep their heart rate up, some people at the gym wait almost 2 mins between sets and hog the equipment (grr... crazy spandex guy).

What at least one of my friends on mfp does is she tracks her strength training in the "Strength" section sets, weights and what not, but she also added her own excersie in the cardio which I think she calls Lifting which she put the calories per min the same as a slow walk.

I hope this helps and welcome to the site :)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Calories burned strength training are often not significant and are covered by the activity factor when estimating TDEE. You can always add some calories and track it to see if you are still losing fat.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you are only doing 10-15 minutes, you really aren't burning enough to log it. Think about strength training and cardio/calorie deficit this way: strength training is for your body shape, cardio and/or a calorie deficit is for fat loss.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Its under cardio
  • jamorg59
    jamorg59 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I do about 60 minutes of cardio. I do weights for about 40 minutes. How don't don the normal resting time between sets. I work hard on these and thought it should come off the calories too. How would you convert that to calories? Thank you for any help. I new at this too.
  • Naturebeckles
    Options
    If you are only doing 10-15 minutes, you really aren't burning enough to log it. Think about strength training and cardio/calorie deficit this way: strength training is for your body shape, cardio and/or a calorie deficit is for fat loss.

I figure every little bit counts first of all, and secondly I know strength training is for body shape. It's also to build lean muscle to make my muscles more efficient and burn more calories. My real problem is I just need to get my butt in gear in the morning to get to work earlier so I can get off work earlier and work out longer before I go home. But at least my workout is 40-45 minutes all together for now.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The strength training section is just to keep track of your progress on your reps and sets.

To actually have it log calories burned, you have to enter it under cardio.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I read all the articles today for newbies and I did not see my concern addressed. So, I apologize if this has been asked before, but here goes...

I'm doing a mix of strength training and cardio 4 days a week at the gym here at work before I go home each day. I do work out for about 40-45 minutes a day, but not all of that is cardio. About 10-15 minutes of that time is strength training. I do different muscle groups on opposite days so the muscles I worked the previous day get their rest. My question is, why isn't strength training counted towards my time exercised a day? And why aren't the calories counted either? I feel like my calorie/time goals for exercise for the week is skewed because it only counts my cardio time and calories per day.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me.

Naturebeckles

I log it under Circuit Training in my cardio.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm not an admin at the site but it honestly it strength training is very subjective, the best way to imput those calories and time would be to go and by an Heart Rate Monitor. This could also be said for cardio but that gives you at least a general idea.

Some people rest 10 seconds between sets, others do cardio in the middle of their rest, other tackle two groups so while their resting one area they're working another to keep their heart rate up, some people at the gym wait almost 2 mins between sets and hog the equipment (grr... crazy spandex guy).

What at least one of my friends on mfp does is she tracks her strength training in the "Strength" section sets, weights and what not, but she also added her own excersie in the cardio which I think she calls Lifting which she put the calories per min the same as a slow walk.

^ perfect answer IMO =)
  • Naturebeckles
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'll log my reps and weight and then manually calculate what I'm doing and add it to the cardio. I knew I'd find the answer if I asked. :)
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Unfortunately everything that I've read states that HRMs are not very accurate at recording calories burned during strength training. They are best for steady-state cardio, which was very disappointing for me to read since I'd been using it to track a variety of workouts for years.

Anyway, when I started NROL4W, I decided to buy a BodyMedia because I did want a more accurate picture of calories burned during strength training.

If you are going to use a HRM, I would recommend deducting a percentage of the total burned, just to be on the safe side.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I figure every little bit counts first of all, and secondly I know strength training is for body shape. It's also to build lean muscle to make my muscles more efficient and burn more calories. My real problem is I just need to get my butt in gear in the morning to get to work earlier so I can get off work earlier and work out longer before I go home. But at least my workout is 40-45 minutes all together for now.

The guidelines for fitness say 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day. You should be able to get a quality training program in that time if you ramp up intensity as you increase in fitness.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The strength training section is just to keep track of your progress on your reps and sets.

To actually have it log calories burned, you have to enter it under cardio.

This. I used to not log my strength training unless I broke a sweat but, since I've started NRoL4W, I don't have to worry about not sweating anymore.