Weight Lifting for Beginners - Need help please ladies :)

Options
Hi, I'm 5ft 2" HW 175lbs CW 142 lbs GW 112 lbs

I've recently decided to start weight lifting. However, I'm unsure of how much to start lifiting (3 lb-5lb weights each?). I don't want to overdo it but at the same time I want to lift as much as possible. Any ideas? Appreciate the advice.

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    For strength gains and lifting "as much as possible" I would do StrongLifts 5x5 or New rules of lifting for women. If you do stronglifts, start with 20 or 30lbs, whatever is comfortable, rather than the 45lb bar suggested. Try the group below for more information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

3-5lb weights won't do much of anything. Your purse probably weighs that much. If that is all you are willing to try, then I suggest 30 day shred. It won't really build muscle but it will make you a bit stronger.
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I started with new rules of lifting for women, which was great for starting out. It talks about form, has handy photos, and breaks a lot of things down. Then I moved on to Stronglifts, which is what I'm doing now.
  • skimpyskimp
    Options
    For strength gains and lifting "as much as possible" I would do StrongLifts 5x5 or New rules of lifting for women. If you do stronglifts, start with 20 or 30lbs, whatever is comfortable, rather than the 45lb bar suggested. Try the group below for more information:

3-5lb weights won't do much of anything. Your purse probably weighs that much. If that is all you are willing to try, then I suggest 30 day shred. It won't really build muscle but it will make you a bit stronger.

Thanks, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to lifting. I started the 30 day shred today - this time I'm determined to get past level 1. I have used 3 lb weights over the last few weeks but I find them a bit light and haven't noticed much of a difference - didn't realise I could start using weights over 5 lbs so I'll move to 5 lbs and build my way up to 20 lb weights over the next week or two. I will look into those links - thanks for the help :) And clearly you must lift heavy!
  • skimpyskimp
    Options
    I started with new rules of lifting for women, which was great for starting out. It talks about form, has handy photos, and breaks a lot of things down. Then I moved on to Stronglifts, which is what I'm doing now.

I will check that out - thanks :) Just seen your thread which prompted me to post this topic - you look frickin' awesome!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Thanks, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to lifting. I started the 30 day shred today - this time I'm determined to get past level 1. I have used 3 lb weights over the last few weeks but I find them a bit light and haven't noticed much of a difference - didn't realise I could start using weights over 5 lbs so I'll move to 5 lbs and build my way up to 20 lb weights over the next week or two. I will look into those links - thanks for the help :) And clearly you must lift heavy!

30 Day Shred is not really weightlifting. Your purse weighs more than the weights you use. It's cardio with very moderate resistance.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Check out Pauline Nordine (Fighter Diet) on Google. She has a lot of great ebooks and don't be put off by her size. It takes more commitment than most people have to look that shredded.

A good rule for starters is.....lift the heaviest weight that you can for 8-10 reps. You should be struggling at 8 reps. If you can easily do 8 reps, move on up to the next weight.
  • skimpyskimp
    Options
    Yeah its more circuit training than anything, the stenght circuit is very easy - however, I have no upper body strength whatsoever, my calves and thighs are toned and muscly but the rest of me is really flabby so I'm looking to include some proper weight lifting 3 times a week.
  • happymamabear
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yeah its more circuit training than anything, the stenght circuit is very easy - however, I have no upper body strength whatsoever, my calves and thighs are toned and muscly but the rest of me is really flabby so I'm looking to include some proper weight lifting 3 times a week.

You actually probably have more upper body strength than you think. I thought I didn't have any either but when I started with New Rules I found I was actually really underestimating myself. You have to think, you can probably lift a toddler with ease (I can pick up my younger sister with no issues) so will you have issues with a 20-30-45lb weight? No, probably not.

Don't sell yourself short, you're probably stronger than you ever thought you were. Also thank you for your kind words about my thread. :D
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to do 30 day shred with 20lb weights. You do too many reps. The max weight that you can lift 5-12 times is where you get strength and muscle. Anything beyond that (like as many as you can do for 30s) just helps with endurance. I'm suggesting to start stronglifts with a 20 or 30lb fixed barbell and work up, or try New Rules. I can now do 100lb bench, 110lb squat, 155lb deadlift etc. That is where strength and muscle are built.

I only suggest 30DS if you are unable/unwilling to go to the gym and do true weightlifting. Definitely do as heavy a weight as you possibly can, but know that it really is mostly cardio.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

This. I really enjoy StrongLifts.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    spend a few months developing proper form first, with low weights before you add slowly weight. or you will hurt yourself.
  • MrsWillard13
    Options
    spend a few months developing proper form first, with low weights before you add slowly weight. or you will hurt yourself.
    This is true. Threw out my back for 3 months
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    in 4 a read later