Getting Started Again...

Options
Its always hard to get started eating healthy again and exercising. Does anyone have any advice on how to start making healthy choices and keeping up with these changes?

Replies

• pattie0716
    pattie0716 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started, too! Well, like 3 weeks ago. I think what clicked for me was not a tip or a skill but more a change of attitude. Having gun and being excited of what I will become by behaving like I already have that keeps me motivated. I've lost 4 pounds and I don't think I would have even stuck to this for this long if I didn't really have the right mind set. I've claimed sooooo many times before that this is it! Now its different. Now, I'm gonna do it! And, then after a week I go on a bread eating binge and just stop talking about it. This is the longest I've been excited about this. Not so much of what I will be when its all over. But, more for what is going on right now. Little things. Walking at a faster pace with the dog. How much time and effort I put into cleaning the house. The creative things I can do with food. It's just... fun! And, all the little things just add up. Maybe you can start there!
  • i420
    i420 Posts: 3
    Options
    It has to be a rock solid resolution. You have to make it a habit. Good luck!
  • Cabrinii
    Cabrinii Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm adding more exercise such as cardio, strength training, yoga, pilates and other things besides working the treadmill each day. Despite my belly being flabby, I intend to do a lot of exercises for my abs and I plan to do a lot more cardio so I can lose a more weight. I can put a lot more motivation and effort into my fitness routine because it can be beneficial for my health.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Turn off or tune out TV and perhaps other media where you are negatively influenced to purchase some food item that you know is not going to contribute to your progress. We are bombarded with messaging on a continuous basis and since most of the effort is between our ears, it's a good place to start. This will also give you the opportunity to be more active in general. Less couch or chair time means more moving about and burning of calories whatever your choices might be. That being said, 80% of your challenge is in the kitchen. Eat at home, cook yourself, save money and avoid the massive portions that are presented to you in restaurant settings. Do this for a period of time until you feel comfortable with your program. Say no to friends and family about choices. They may not be happy but if they like or love you they will eventually understand when you turn in the personal performance for yourself that you intend to and will do. Good luck on your journey.
  • Guavagai
    Guavagai Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Choose one "unhealthy" food that you eat constantly and try to limit it. (This could be soda, pasta, etc) Start slow and slowly build momentum. It really is calorie intake vs calorie outtake. A mistake people tend to make is limit their caloric intake and exercise too much. After a certain time, they get discouraged at the scale, mirror, etc. and give up. The best thing to do is slowly make changes in your diet and exercise. It's also important to eat what you want but just in moderation. Choose foods that have nutritional value.

I think the most important change you can make in your diet is cooking for yourself. By doing that, you see what you put in your food and you're less prone to add crazy amounts of salt or butter, etc.

One thing to note, trust the process! Although the mirror or scale may not be showing you any progress and you feel like you've been working SO HARD.. it's okay. Small change is better than no change. Being discouraged and feeling helpless does occur but giving up... that doesn't make any sense.

I'm not an expert. My nutritional background comes from my pre-med reqs I've taken at UC Berkeley but most of it is due to experience. I have been struggling with weight my entire life and I've gone through some successful weight-loss journeys and even MORE unsuccessful ones. I try to look at the positive and think that because of this struggle, we are going to become better people!

Stay strong and don't give up.

K
  • Julichch
    Julichch Posts: 2
    Options
    THE IMPORTANT THING IN THIS JOURNEY IS TO NOT GIVE UP, JUST KEEP DOING IT, A BAD DAY CAN HAPPEN :)
  • Satch131
    Satch131 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm new to MFP. And I'm also getting started again. I find that journaling my food intake keeps me accountable. Who wants to write Breakfast: Tim Hortons Med Ice Cap, Tim Horton's Breakfast Sandwich; Snack 20 M&M Peanuts, etc... in their food diary every day!

Exercising is a whole other story for me. I don't like to exercise. I always start off strong (workout everyday for about an hour) and after two weeks, I peeter out...and stop completely. So this time, I'm going to walk 4 days a week for 30 mins a day. No more than that. They say it takes about 5 weeks to create a new habit, so my goal is to walk 4 days a week for 5 weeks. After 5 weeks, I'll set up another goal. Maybe walk 45 mins 4 days a week. Then maybe my next goal will be to do a C25K, again.

Last night my husband was sitting there eating a bowl of Nibs. Mmmmm....that cherry smell...that cherry taste.... Grrrrrr! So I decided to watch a nutritional documentary on Netflix on my laptop. It was interesting and it helped me get passed the temptation.

Best of luck!