Strength training not calculated as burning calories

Options
Okay I am an Sr IT person at work so I am in meeting all day, but I go to the gym for my 30 minute personal trainer appointment 3 times a week and it is very intense. Shirt is completely soaked sweat running down the face, back and legs. However when I put in the strength training into MyFitnessPal it doesn't account for any calories being burned. Also a lot of the items that we do are not listed like burpees, tractor tire push, balance ball cruches, seated jumps and the such. Anyone have any suggestion on how to enter this and it show the calories that I might have burned.

Replies

• Alisa_d7
    Alisa_d7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There's a 'weight training' option if you select 'cardiovascular exercise'.
    But like all the other automatic calorie calculations, it's hard to give an accurate guess on anyone's individual calorie burn. So if you don't have a heart rate monitor to do it for you, what I do is calculate an average of 10 cals burnt per minute for a moderate to hard effort session, then enter the cals burnt manually.
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If I have a lifting session, I usually log it as a "cardio" circuit training session. It may not be very accurate but it does help estimate the number of calories burned. I usually log just the approximate amount of time spent lifting and leave out the rest times. Hope that helps.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Log it under cardio and maybe the circuit training option? Also, I think there is an option to put in your own exercises. but yea, log it under cardio or it wont give you calories burned.
  • ShutterBugMomof2
    Options
    Your best bet is to get a heart rate monitor for an accurate count. I believe I have seen where (don't quote me) you burn an average of 6 calories a minute with intense strength training. I just use a HRM... so no guessing for me.
  • timkane46
    timkane46 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I list it under circuit training and it shows the calories for the amount of time you do it. I also create my own exercises, do a search for the exercise, if it's not listed click on the add axercise or create new tab and name it what you want , you can also include reps and weight used if applicable
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Do you use a heart rate monitor to track your calories burned while working out?? I do and then I make my own exercise title under Cardio to keep track of calories burned. This includes when I do crossfit.
  • benztim6876
    benztim6876 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I have a HRM and usually my HR is about 160 for 30 minutes. When I am trying to strengthen my Cardiovascular I get my heart 175-185 and hold it there. I was not aware that you can creat your own exercises. I will have to try that.

I also use the new Withings Pulse as well. I was thinking about getting the BodyMedia Link Fit but the reviews seem to be terrible.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    HRM doesn't work well for strength training.

I work in IT as well. I lift with a trainer. I don't log my calories burned from lifting.

Deal-With-It-Kool-Kat-Reaction-Gif.gif
  • thepiratemd
    Options
    I agree it is extremely frustrating.

I think as long as you know you're getting a great burn and sweating etc, you can easily just eat a good solid amount of *clean* food that evening
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I work in IT as well. I lift with a trainer. I don't log my calories burned from lifting.

^this
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

^this

Yes. This.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories

I do log my lifting under calories. I use the MFP option under cardio which gives me a little under 200 calories. It works for me because it gives me a few extra calories. I know I burned at least a few calorie sin the workout, even if I only burned half, 100 extra calories isn't going to make or break me. I also log conservatively on all my other exercises
    ETA - that's for an hour of lifting (I record 45 minutes)
  • maeganmoo
    maeganmoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is a solution!!!!! Buy the Polar ft80 made specifically for weight training. It is fantastic! I was logging in way under for my training. It will tell you accurately how many calories burned and how to maximize your workout. It is so helpful to know when to start the next set. http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Watch-Black/dp/B001F0PVO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374625822&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+ft80 :smile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There is a solution!!!!! Buy the Polar ft80 made specifically for weight training. It is fantastic! I was logging in way under for my training. It will tell you accurately how many calories burned and how to maximize your workout. It is so helpful to know when to start the next set. http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Watch-Black/dp/B001F0PVO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374625822&sr=8-1&keywords=polar+ft80 :smile:

From what I have read on that one it has nothing to do with estimating calories burned which I think is the issue here. Not saying HRMs aren't useful for other purposes, such as timing sets, however, for calorie estimations they aren't accurate for weight training.
  • TheCherryMama
    Options
    To calculate the amount of calories you burn while doing squats without additional weights, multiply your weight by .096. Take the answer and multiply it by the amount of minutes you perform the exercise. For instance, if you weigh 160 lbs. and you take 15 minutes to complete your squats, you will burn approximately 230 calories.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I agree it is extremely frustrating.

I think as long as you know you're getting a great burn and sweating etc, you can easily just eat a good solid amount of *clean* food that evening

unless that good solid amount of clean food has too many calories in it
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I generally ballpark my heavy lifting days anywhere from 200-500 calories depending on what I'm doing. If it's just shoulders, I'm likely to log it as 250 calories, whereas if I'm doing back and shoulders in the same day with some deadlifts, I'll log it as 500 calories. It's a guestimate but it seems that's about the best you can do.
  • HMDurham005
    Options
    I've decided not to log my strength training days, only days when I do cardio as I'm not concerned about the amount of calories burned when I'm trying to build muscle. If I feel like I need extra calories afterwards I'll have a protein shake.