Got a good spaghetti sauce recipe?

Options
lil_pulp
lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
I still need guidance in the kitchen (aka a recipe).

I basically just want a really flavorful base (that doesn't include a jar of store-bought sauce!) that I can then add veggies and maybe some meat to. Thanks in advance for helping me out with this!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/pesto-marcella-hazan-448339\

Pesto is the mother of all pasta sauces.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1 LB Ground Beef, browned, seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper
    6 Italian Sausages, grilled and chopped
    1 BIG jar of your favorite sauce (I like Prego)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm going to copy and paste here! This my basic sauce. I use it with meat, pasta, lasagna, veggies, cheese sticks, etc. It's a great basic sauce. I figured it out myself to keep it sweet and full of flavor without adding sugar or bacon fat (like my grandma did to hers).

2 cans whole peeled tomatoes
    1 white onion
    1 carrot
    2 celery stalks
    4 cloves garlic
    1 12oz can tomato paste
    2 cups chicken broth
    pinch of oregano
    salt and pepper

Chop up the onion, carrot, celery stalks and garlic, and put them in a caserole dish with the canned tomatoes. Cut up the tomatoes a little bit. Put in a 425 degree F oven for about an hour. Take out, put the roasted veggies and the rest of the ingredients into a large pan, blend with a stick blender (or do this in a blender before you put it in the pan) and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. I make a huge batch of this about once a month. It keeps in the freezer for up to 6 months and in the fridge for about 1 month. It's so yummy and you can turn it into cream sauce by adding yogurt (and maybe even a little vodka), meat by adding anything ground, or use it plain. It's SO versatile.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Very simple, genuine recipe;

Put about 4 cans of italian peeled tomatoes into a grinder(mill) and grind out the seeds. Dispose of the seeds.

Put the milled tomatoes into a large pot with about 2 ounces of olive oil(glug glug)
    A clove or two of garlic.
    About two fresh basil leaves

Let cook(boil)for a really longtime, stirring it to keep it from burning.

Its what I was raised on.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    my grandfather's recipe that my mother always used-in her own voice.

Remember to use in spaghetti sauce 2 cans of 6oz paste, 4 cans water, and 2 big cans puree. Parsley and onion grated. Should be sautéed’ in oil then add puree and paste and water. Add dry bay leaf, about 2 tablespoon, 2 good tablespoon dry parsley (with fresh parsley?) garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste. Add a couple tablespoon of grated spaghetti cheese and put in oven to bake at 300* for 2 hours till tender and sauce is thick. (OR stovetop- I also throw in meat balls and pork ribs..

my my grandfather did bracciole this way...with the stuffed meat cooking in the sauce..
  • jennygirl9
    jennygirl9 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump. They all sound good!!
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I cannot make a better sauce than Trader Joe's Organic Spagetti Sauce with mushrooms. It is that good, low fat and cal, and cheap. And I am a pretty good cook. I know you didn't ask for it, but you may want to reconsider.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    1 LB Ground Beef, browned, seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper
    6 Italian Sausages, grilled and chopped
    1 BIG jar of your favorite sauce (I like Prego)

I do this but I just use a jar of Prego and some spicy sausage.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks, everyone! :)
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Skinnytaste Skinny Italian Turkey Meatballs - it's a basic sauce (you can then cook turkey meatballs right in the sauce).
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My Go To:

1 Can of Italian Stewed Tomatoes (whole or diced), chop them up if they're not diced, use the liquid from the can.
    1 10oz+ can of tomato sauce
    1 small can of tomato paste
    4 cloves chopped/minced garlic
    1 small white/sweet onion julienne sliced
    1/2 a fresh lemon squeeze in
    6 tbls of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    2 tbls of sugar
    Season with salt, pepper and italian seasonings to your liking.
    3-4 leafs of fresh basil (reserve until the end)

sauté the onion and garlic in about 2 tbls of oil until they're a little soft and translucent
    Toss in the rest of the stuff, simmer on low for 30-60 minutes.
    Before serving, slice the basil in thin slices, and mix in.

This will make enough for 3-4 people.

Super easy, fast, healthy, tastes great. If you want to go crazy, you can dice up celery and carrots, sauté those with the onions and garlic. You may want to run the sauce through a blender before serving to make sure the veggies are really chopped good.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump - was going to ask, but the question has already been answered...would love to hear more recipes, if anyone has any to share.
  • chefstew79
    chefstew79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    64 oz crushed tomatoes
    64 oz whote tomatoes
    12-15 cloves peeled garlic
    1.5 large Vidalia onion
    ¼ cup olive oil
    1.5 bunch fresh basil
    Salt & pepper to taste

Crush garlic and chop onion. In a large stock pot satuee the garlic & onion in the olive oil until it begins to become opaque (not browned). Add crushed tomatoes and whole tomatoes and bring to boil. When boiling turn down for a simmer for about 40-50 minutes. Season with Salt & pepper. Right before serving, chop basil and mix into sauce.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    64 oz crushed tomatoes
    64 oz whote tomatoes
    1.5 large Vidalia onion
    ¼ cup olive oil
    1.5 bunch fresh basil
    Salt & pepper to taste

Crush garlic and chop onion. In a large stock pot satuee the garlic & onion in the olive oil until it begins to become opaque (not browned). Add crushed tomatoes and whole tomatoes and bring to boil. When boiling turn down for a simmer for about 40-50 minutes. Season with Salt & pepper. Right before serving, chop basil and mix into sauce.

I like the recipe but I would cook it much shorter you can get it over acidic with a longer cooking time. I cook mine for 10-15 min at best, though if you do cook it to long and it does get acidic adding a small amount of sugar will make it better.

And if you want it to be more authentic serve it with a rigatoni or fettuccine something that can hold the sauce better maybe little fresh tuscan pecorino? nice glass of orvito classico.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    light ham cubes
    then add half white onion and green onions
    then tomatoes
    then add a bit light creme cheese, a bit soft cheese and a bit milk
    half Knorr boullion cube and herbs you like

et voilá 215 cal. 1 serving without the pasta

same recipe with salmon and spinace leafs

or

white onion
    garlic
    spinace leafs
    half Knorr boullion cube
    herbs and chilli
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    one of my faves (not a sauce as such but bloody good)

- cook pasta of choice. In the last couple mins of cooking, add zucchini ribbons and broccoli florets. Once cooked, drain.
    - stir through feta, chopped mint, toasted pinenuts, lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil to taste
    - add a little extra feta or parmesan and a sprig of mint to the top prior to serving.

quantities can be adjusted up or down to suit tastes
  • mangobed
    mangobed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    YUM. I could freeze some also!!:flowerforyou:
  • mangobed
    mangobed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    64 oz crushed tomatoes
    64 oz whote tomatoes
    1.5 large Vidalia onion
    ¼ cup olive oil
    1.5 bunch fresh basil
    Salt & pepper to taste

• joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump!