jam?

Options
bearkisses
bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
What can I put jam on? My in-laws went to quebec and brought us back some strawberry-champagne jam. I put some on a mini ciabatta bun for breakfast but can't do that everyday. The jar is small but goes bad in 30 days from opening. What can I put jam on?

I am thinking I will try greek yogurt later on.

Any other thoughts?

Replies

• d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Rice pudding :)
  • clouxles
    clouxles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    spoon?
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Scones :D

Pancakes :D:D
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Toast? Filling for a cake?

It probably won't go bad after 30 days, especially if refrigerated.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Fine for much longer in a fridge!
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Fresh made seeded rye bread with french imported brie, brought to room temp smeared over the bread and then lightly spread some of the jam on.

also can mixed into strained yogurt

used in glazes for ham, duck, chicken, beef and rabbit etc

can use it in compotes, and tart glazes ( I use a apricot preserve on my fruit tart for example )
  • bearkisses
    Options
    Fine for much longer in a fridge!

thanks everyone for suggestions

The bottle says to discard 30 days after opening...and it also says to refrigerate.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    Fresh made seeded rye bread with french imported brie, brought to room temp smeared over the bread and then lightly spread some of the jam on.

also can mixed into strained yogurt

used in glazes for ham, duck, chicken, beef and rabbit etc

can use it in compotes, and tart glazes ( I use a apricot preserve on my fruit tart for example )

I didn't even think to use it as a glaze for meat...this is smart
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Put in freezer (yes, jams freeze well). Problem solved.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, OP. Whenever I buy jelly, jam, or apple butter, it always gets moldy in the fridge before I finish it, because I just don't eat it very often. I've started buying packs of individual serving cups of flavored, unsweetened applesauce instead.
  • RobTheGourmet
    Options
    perhaps making it your self and canning using either water method or pressure canning or even freezer canning in small 4 oz jars would be best.

I can around 150-200 jars a year sometimes and they will last forever sealed properly and stored right
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    chocolate rice cakes with sliced strawberries.

or a cookie.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I promise, even if you made it yourself without any presevatives, and you refrigerated it, it would last for longer than 30 days.

I combine fruit jams with hot sauce to make a sweet/spicy sauce for meats.

I love raspberry with chipotle tabasco in pork loin :love:
  • chefstew79
    chefstew79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Use as a dipping sauce for jalapeno poppers.

Sautee shallots (or onions) in a pan, mix in the jam. Then let cool and resolidify in fridge. Make cheese filling: mix cream cheese with chopped cilantro and kosher salt. Cut Jalapenos in half and remove the ribs and seeds. Fill each jalapeno boat with the cheese mixture and chill. Serve the strawberry jam sauce as a dipping sauce or drizzle it on each popper. I don't bread and fry my poppers; if you were inclined to make more traditional poppers bread each popper (egg, flour, panko breadcrumbs) and deep fry.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Jam and vanilla yogurt taste decadent as a topping for pancakes. Just as satisfying as fruit compote and whipped cream - and I'm someone who LOVES that combo!
  • RobTheGourmet
    Options
    Use as a dipping sauce for jalapeno poppers.

Sautee shallots (or onions) in a pan, mix in the jam. Then let cool and resolidify in fridge. Make cheese filling: mix cream cheese with chopped cilantro and kosher salt. Cut Jalapenos in half and remove the ribs and seeds. Fill each jalapeno boat with the cheese mixture and chill. Serve the strawberry jam sauce as a dipping sauce or drizzle it on each popper. I don't bread and fry my poppers; if you were inclined to make more traditional poppers bread each popper (egg, flour, panko breadcrumbs) and deep fry.

you had me at shallots easily the best ingredient outside of duck fat and white wine O.o

I like to use fire roasted peeled poblano's with shallots reduced in wine mixed with raw mexican chorizo stuffed into the poblano and then topped with queso de oaxaca cheese maybe try a little chili pepper preserves ontop with some fresh cilantro and lime :D