Magazine Article

Options
I received my new issue of ALL YOU, and there is an article titled "The New Rules of Weight Loss." There are a few rules that are fine and I have heard before but a couple are things complete against every thing I have read before.

1) Fast weight loss might mean more pounds dropped over time, it describes a study where eating fewer than 800 calories lost more weight over time, but then doesn't recommend eating under 1200. (I just found that stupid. Why even publish it if your contradicting)

2) Skipping Breakfast is OK. they say eating a breakfast isn't necessary and it just adds those calories to your diet. This is just completely goes against everything else I have ever read.

I am posting this to hear what you guys have to say about this. Am I the only one who finds this odd?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I suspect the contradiction re calories came in as VLCDs do usually result in more weight loss but that doesn't necessarily translate into fat loss which is the desired outcome. One of the outcomes of extreme calorie restriction over an extended period of time of loss of lean muscle mass which is an undesired consequence. With a minimum of 1200 cal a day you have a chance of consuming enough protein to, at least in part, mitigate loss of lean muscle mass.

Skipping breakfast has always been ok in the context of weight loss. It's your total caloric intake that counts not the timing of the intake. There are other reasons that eating breakfast may be desirable (attentiveness and learning outcomes at school, job performance) but weight loss isn't one of them.
  • tidzkowski03
    tidzkowski03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't agree with either. From everything I've ever read or heard:
    Slow and steady weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week is most sustainable. Weight may come off faster initially due to water weight loss, or faster fat loss, but as another post said, you want to lose fat, not muscle.
    I try to never skip breakfast. I always eat something, even just a piece of toast with peanut butter or a carton of yogurt. There's a saying of eat like a king in the morning, a prince at noon, and a pauper in the evening. To me, it doesn't make sense to deprive your body of calories when you want it to get up and get going. I think that with a normal lifestyle, you have been "fasting" all night. Neglecting to replenish those calories slows down your metabolism as you gear up for the day without fueling your body.