How do you eat sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    baked then topped with 1 teaspoon smart balance, salt and cayenne.

less than 150 cals if I remember correctly. I dont eat baked stuff in summer so it's been awhile.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Bump - love sweet potatoes! :-D
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Oven baked and then cut it open to put crunchy peanut butter! when peanut butter starts melting tastes so good

Thats sounds delish! never thought adding peanut butter for the sweetness...
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    Aside from just nuking and eating them, skin and all, I make this: http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/red-lentil-thai-chili/

It's vegan, since I'm vegan, but you could substitute stuff to make it not-vegan if that's your bag. The recipe makes enough to feed a small army, and I'm but a single person, so I make a batch every so often, eat what I want of it, then freeze the rest in small-ish batches for future lunches and dinners. It freezes perfectly. Sometimes I eat it over rice, sometimes I eat it as is. Quite yummy. I use full-fat coconut milk, to make a it a bit richer/creamier. Sometimes I add in spinach or kale to make it greeny-er. Usually not, though. It's got quite enough nutrients as it is. The way I make it, vegan but with the full-fat coconut milk, it's 270 cals per serving 41/9/9 carbs/fat/protein.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i like it best topped with black beans..mixed with chipolte and cayenne with some corn, onion, and bell pepper...but i eat them all different ways!

i do something like this with a regular potatoe, excpet i use diced tomatoes instead of corn and then top with shredded cheddar cheese... yum! i need to try it with the sweet potatoe too!
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like mine with coconut oil, cinnamon and a packet of stevia and sometimes I will add a few chopped nuts.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    very carefully :)
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I used to eat sweet potato pie...now I eat sweet potato fries.

Sweet potato chips are also good...addictively good.

8488541.png
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Boil them, slip off the skins, mash them, sprinkle on plenty of cinnamon, and stir.
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato salad/slaw

Peal and shred 1 sweet potatoes
    Add 1 can drained pineapple tidbits
    add 1/4 or more to taste raisins
    Add 1 diced apple
    Add 1/2 cup real good mayo,
    Add 1/4 cup lemon juice or cider vinegar
    Stir, adjust seasoning to taste, salt, pepper ect
    Chill and eat
    serves about 8
    about 158 calories per serving
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I cut them into fries and bake them on tin foil with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is similar to what I do. I steam them (my son eats them plain, with a little brown sugar), and then eat them with black beans, some cheese and maybe a little salsa. Extra veggies tossed in if I feel like it. Fresh sweet corn if you've got it, shaved off the cob, goes great as well.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I love them baked, I often chop into cubes and sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on them and/or minced garlic and roast them until they're a little coloured. I like them mixed through salads, warm or cold. Yummy with things like other roast veg (zucchini, cauliflower, pumpkin) lettuce, rocket, chicken or bacon, cous cous, a little left over brown rice...

Or I use them to make potato and salmon patties a little healthier. Cook the sweet potato until mashable, add in onion, eggs, peas, tinned salmon, and parsley or coriander (cilantro) and crumb with rice crumbs. Pan fry or bake until golden.
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • albosler
    albosler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    spicy sweet potato fries or wedges!

peel and cut potato into the size of fry you want to eat, mix fries with about 1/2 tbsp of olive oil for each large potato (I use 2 tbsp when I make 4 potatoes worth of fries). Mix in salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper to taste. for 4 sweet potatoes I use 1-2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, and 1/2 tsp cayenne. If you're trying to go lower sodium you can cut the salt down. Bake at 425 for about 25mins.

these are good and a bit different than the typical sugary sweet potato side dish or meal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    chew then swallow...duh!
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also dice them up with apples and onions and some cinnamon. Lay them on a bottom of a 9x13 with pork chops or tenderloin. I rub the meat with cinnamon and allspice and cayenne. Makes for a great dinner!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I also dice them up with apples and onions and some cinnamon. Lay them on a bottom of a 9x13 with pork chops or tenderloin. I rub the meat with cinnamon and allspice and cayenne. Makes for a great dinner!!

I have analyzed this post and I find no flaws in it.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
  • Autazell
    Autazell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Stuffed with shredded jerk seasoned chicken & drizzled with honey!