Does your body have an optimal weight ?

Options
Kymmu
Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
Does anyone know if a person's body have an optimal weight it doesn't like to budge from?
I seem to hover around a weight which I have been for most of my adult life.
I go up or down a few kilos but eventually I end up right back there.
It is in a healthy range, so I'm not too concerned - just curious.
It doesn't seem to matter if I'm an omnivore, Paleo, Atkins or vegan! ( Yes I've experimented with a few styles over the years to find what suits me best).
Could this be a pre- set genetic instruction?

P.s. I don't go into forums much- Please don't hammer me!!

Replies

• jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I keep thinking that I have reached an optimal weight because I will drop a few pounds, plateau, and then maintain easily at that weight. But then I will go back into weight loss mode and lose a few more pounds. That's been my cycle for the past two years anyway. Right now I keep fluctuating around 107-110. I don't think I'm at body's set point yet, but I am only 24 and I haven't had a stable "adult weight" yet.
  • Kymmu
    Options
    Jess you are about the same weight as me and I do exactly as you do - perhaps we have hit our body's goal weight ?
    thanks for your reply!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    It seems a lot of people think so.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    Hi Kymmu, I definitely have fat to lose so I hope my body isn't quite ready to stop yet lol But I think this weight would be a great goal weight if my body fat % is lower. I'm interested to see how the next couple of months go, to see if I am able to make any big changes.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think so! But I think I have several. I seem to hover around a few numbers--a normal one, a thin one (that if I reach it and stay good I stay within 2-3 lbs of) and a "fat" weight. Each is an interval of a few pounds that I don't have to try too hard to maintain and I have to work very hard to drop. But when I try, I can establish a lower set weight (about 7-12 lbs less than the prior).
  • Kymmu
    Options
    ^ Yes this , the "thin " weight takes a lot of discipline and makes me feel great - but in reality it's not enough or anyone else to even notice!
    So I guess our body knows best!