Oatmeal makes me hungrier!

Options

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'd go along with the notion that it's the lack of protein, while I don't have the same issue with oatmeal, I have found it with other meal choices.
  • jusa1011
    jusa1011 Posts: 21
    Options
    I try to eat more protein in the morning. It does tend to make me feel full longer. Though, I do try to keep a piece of fruit with me as a mid-morning snack or have my breakfast about two hours after I have gotten up. I find waiting, helps me less during the day. Usually, I save my oatmeal for the night, it tends to put me to sleep no matter what time of day.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well this is a recipe I made in the crockpot. It has steel cut oatmeal... Apples. And almond milk. And been adding a few tbls of walnuts. It just isn't cutting it. I think I will go back to my eggs next week. I definitely think that it is keeping me more sane to where I'm not trying to justify junk food in my head all day.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well this is a recipe I made in the crockpot. It has steel cut oatmeal... Apples. And almond milk. And been adding a few tbls of walnuts. It just isn't cutting it. I think I will go back to my eggs next week. I definitely think that it is keeping me more sane to where I'm not trying to justify junk food in my head all day.

You start with carbs, then add carbs and carbs. Clearly the carbs-as-breakfast isn't working for you.

Make your oats with some whole milk and have a protein shake or a couple of eggs with them.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how anyone can eat plain oats!

LARGE bowl

⅔ cup oats

cocoa/cinnamon

1tbspn peanut butter & co (or 12g peanut flour)

pinch of salt

Add lots of water

nuke. When done should still be a bit runny.

Add 1tbspn peanut butter & co and let it melt in. Let cool for a few minutes. Then add 1 scoop of protein powder (mine is vanilla casein)

That will keep you full for a lot longer :smile: (and not taste like *kitten* :laugh:)
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Try amaranth, a tiny grain/seed with loads of protein. I cook 1 cup amaranth with 1 cup soy milk and 2 cups water and some cinnamon. Makes several servings which I heat up with some vanilla almond breeze, add a bit of banana and chopped walnuts. Yum!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 servings of oatmeal with almonds and/or fruit. Lately I've had it with a peanut butter sandwich.

It might just be finding a combination that works for you.

8488541.png
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    *kitten*...all this oatmeal talk is making me crave it. I'm gonna buy some on my next grocery trip. I like the PB2 and almond milk ideas. I tend to make mine with milk which has protein and then put butter on it so now that I'm reading all this maybe that's why it lasts me satiety wise. carb/protein/fats altogether. I also put maple syrup or honey on it just for fun.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Perhaps add peanut butter and honey to your oatmeal.......can keep under 500calories and keeps me until almost noon. I eat this breakfast probably 75% of time
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    This happens to me too! I need more protein with my meals. If you like the oatmeal, just add some things to it to make it higher cal and more protein. Mix in some flax seeds, I know people who mix in quinoa for protein. Mix in peanut butter. Or have oatmeal and a scrambled egg! Or ditch the oatmeal and stick with your other breakfast if you prefer it. :)
  • Justformoi
    Options
    What kind of oatmeal are you eating? If you eat the steel cut oatmeal, it really fill you up, you can prepare a batch on Sunday for a few days, add protein to it... :)
  • ajvideo1
    ajvideo1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I eat Quaker Oats every morning and am satisfied even if I eat a late lunch. When I have eggs I get hungry earlier & oats are better for you. I know a number of people that add fruit as the other poster mentioned.

Oats are not better for you. Different macros, both necessary.
    Not according to my REAL Doctor.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I eat Quaker Oats every morning and am satisfied even if I eat a late lunch. When I have eggs I get hungry earlier & oats are better for you. I know a number of people that add fruit as the other poster mentioned.

What? What did your doctor say to you?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

What? What did your doctor say to you?

let me guess, too much cholesterol in egg yolks. Eat oats because it will lower your LDL and increase HDL.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Lulzzzz
  • g2baleoparx
    g2baleoparx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    From what I have read and heard from nutritionists you are supposed to pair protein nwith carbs in order to process the proteinproperly and vvisa versa. So fruit and eggs or oatmeal and eggs or cereal with milk your body uses it the same so long as calories are the same in each pair.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A cup of egg whites A 1/2 cup of spinach...a 2% slice of Swiss cheese and 1/2 or a 1/4 of an avocado with a Arnold's thin round bread with flax seeds is my usual breakfast. I have just been switching it up cause I was getting worn out. Or protein pancakes with cottage cheese and oats. Drizzled in pb2 and real maple syrup. Yum
  • Chuchiiee
    Options
    I agree with everyone else about sometimes not feeling full eating oatmeal. I used to just put vanilla flavored almond milk, water, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Two hours later I'd be STARVING (But I always eat baby carrots as a snack so I quickly ate them all before lunch).

What I started doing was adding organic peanut butter in it. ( I use add a large dollop using a "teaspoon" spoon). It's really helped me out. I had breakfast at 7:40am today and it's now 10:44 am and I still feel VERY full. I don't know what I'll do about lunch since I go to lunch strictly at 12. I might not feel hungry by then so I think I'll opt for a small salad just to know I'm not starving myself. But I eat dinner at 5-6 every day so this also means I get to eat a hearty dinner. With still plenty of time before bed to start working it off.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Try adding in extras like peanut butter, raisins, cinnamon and blueberries. Eat Oatmeal every morning and I'm usually still satisfied 4-5 hours later
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I had the same issue and my dietician told me to add protein.

Since I cannot stand the taste of peanut butter on anything but toast she suggested I use almond butter.

To my oatmeal I add:
    Fruit
    Nuts (whatever I have so walnuts, almonds, even sunflower seeds)
    Almond butter (for a single 1 tablespoon, or a batch more)
    a bit of brown sugar
    cinnamon

Sometimes I mix it with greek yogurt, sometimes I don't.

I make a batch then use the microwave at work during the weekday or reheat it on the stove on weekends. This way I don't waste times making breakfast in the morning on my way out to the pool then work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!