Arkansas...the good and the bad

Options
13»

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    We don't mind traveling to get the kids to activities. Right now we have to drive 20-30 minutes to get them to wrestling practice and 4H. It sounds as if Arkansas has a lot to offer that we are looking for.

I'm concerned about tornadoes. We don't have things like that out here. Are they very common there?
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the area (regarding the tornado's). i found one map, loads of others out there that show the number of storms.
    http://weather.about.com/od/tornadoe1/ss/tornadointro_2.htm
    I am sure there must be one that shows property damage, etc.

I personally have never seen one. I have seen damage from tornado's in a town near conway (30ish miles from little rock) and was working in TN when the one hit union university. They certainly can be devastating, but I think some areas are more prone to hits based on not only location, but geography as the topology might either aid or hinder the confluence or warm and cold air needed.
  • mandyjanine
    mandyjanine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also live in Fort Smith and work alot in Little Rock right now. There's good and bad everywhere. The more south you go the more rural it gets, but it would also be harder to find the kid's oppurtunities that you mentioned as alot of the small towns in our area don't have wrestling that I'm aware of so you'd probably have to find a class in the nearest town. I was born and raised in arkansas and moved to Austin TX for the city life and the live music, but moved back about 6 years ago to marry my husband and best friend. I don't get on the boards much as I'm on my mobile app all the time, but feel free to add me anytime and best of luck wherever you end up!
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I live in rural south Ar. small town USA we have a wonderful school ,but I hate that for large chain shopping malls we have to drive two hrs. jobs are really hard to find in this area also. health food stores are no where to be found either. but it we live in the country so it was a wonderful quit place to raise our kids. good luck to your family.
  • megabyt23
    megabyt23 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I live in northwest Arkansas and love it. The schools are great, and it's not too small/big. Lots of activities, etc. Kinda just depends on what you're looking for.