Protein is always in red.

Options
So yeah...
I'm always in red on my protein. I usually eat eggs for breakfast and fish or chicken for lunch and dinner. Do you think I need to eliminate meat from one of my meals?

I eat my meat in 4oz portions btw and usually 2 eggs for breakfast.

I know protein is not just from meat but it's where the high numbers come from....

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein recommendation is on the very low end. Personally mine is changed to almost twice theirs. Think of it as a minimum not a maximum.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What is your goal # for Protein Gram?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein recommendation is on the very low end. Personally mine is changed to almost twice theirs. Think of it as a minimum not a maximum.

listen to this
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Mine as of lately has been always red. I changed it so now its fine. I was having to cut protein out of one meal to try and make it fit on what MFP had it at, and that is just a no go for me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're within your calorie goals I don't see a problem, in fact a little extra protein may help you avoid temptation as it leads to feeling full longer.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    MFP sets their protein goals very low. I would defnitely NOT reduce your protein in take.. if anything increase it! I personally am trying to put on muscle so I eat ~120-150 grams of protein DAILY
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    What is your goal # for Protein Gram?

MFP sets it to 15% of your daily calories. Each gram of protein is 4 calories.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. It has the same calories as carbohydrates, it is harder for the body to utilize the calories (the body actually burns more calories utilizing protein than simple sugars gram for gram), and it helps keep you full.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I noticed the original MFP protein gal was WAY lower than what everyone was recommending. Usually you need about 80% of your body weight in grams of protein if you actually want to start building muscle. So for example if you weight 150 lbs, you should eat 120 grams of protein. I had to adjust my goals to increase my protein target.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to limit protein, don't bother. Keep doing what you're doing. It'll help build lean muscle if you lift. I get >100 g protein daily. :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Latest studies conducted by Professor T Colin Campbell Phd done between USA and China found our recommended protein levels are way to high. Increase in cancer rates. The findings are in a lecture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDXxo5Sussk

Good to have information then make up your own mind.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I noticed the original MFP protein gal was WAY lower than what everyone was recommending. Usually you need about 80% of your body weight in grams of protein if you actually want to start building muscle. So for example if you weight 150 lbs, you should eat 120 grams of protein. I had to adjust my goals to increase my protein target.
    there is an MFP protein gal?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Latest studies conducted by Professor T Colin Campbell Phd done between USA and China found our recommended protein levels are way to high. Increase in cancer rates. The findings are in a lecture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDXxo5Sussk

Author of the debunked China Study? Ok.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Good thing the China study's been debunked by a half a dozen researchers for his misrepresentation, but of course his peers never used/referenced any of his research so that should have been the first clue. Good story though. It was casein actually in an animal study that he was referring too. It goes like this, casein intake caused cancer over a specified period of time, therefore animal protein causes cancer. What he forgot to disclose was the poison that was also administered to all the subjects caused the other subjects that weren't given the casein to die almost immediately. Basically the casein prolonged life in those subjects and developed cancer. Seriously what would you expect from someone so plant based biased for so long......he thinks people must be just plain stupid or really really gullible.
  • Iron_Made_Chick
    Iron_Made_Chick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protein is good as long as it's not coming from only one specific source after all your body does need it... it could be that your macros isn't set specifically to your body type for example based on my history and body type my macros is set to 25% carbs, 40% fat and 35% protein.
    MFP pre-defines macros so its probably best to find out what ratio is optimal for your build that way you make sure you get in just enough of the right stuff in your body.
  • L4dyK4te
    L4dyK4te Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How do you figure out your optimal macro ratios for your body type?
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    if you are eating healthy proteins, dont worry about it imo.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    IT'S A GOOD THING!

I worry when my protein number ISN'T red.
    The more protein you eat, the more calories you burn through the Thermal Effect of Food (TEF),
    and the more muscle you build.

Go protein!