gluten free people!!

Options
Hi everyone,
i have just found out i am intolerant to gluten.
so my question is - how the hell do you know what foods you can and can't eat?
i get the most part of it
foods containing wheat ; breads, pasta, cereals etc.
but now i'm reading things like chicken/vegetable stock also does along with dry roasted nuts
and seasoning(herbs and spices) do aswell.
so how do you know if it contains it?
because it doesnt say on any labels "contains gluten" and the label
on the bag for dry roasted almonds just said "almond kernals"
arrghhh so confusing!!

Replies

• laurynking
    laurynking Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've only recently found out that I'm gluten intolerant too, this has been really helping me this week! Hope everything goes well for you!
    http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/what-to-eat-on-a-gluten-free-diet-week-one/
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Read the label. *Most* things will list in large letters, "CONTAINS WHEAT" or "Processed on the same machinery as wheat, tree nuts, etc."
  • eldawson82
    Options
    i just found out i'm gluten free last week. There are several great apps that you can use to scan a package and also search individual ingredients. Most of them are free. Just go into the play store and search gluten free. Some of them even tell you which restaurants have gluten free menus.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    if your only intolerant and have something that was cross-contaminated or super limited wheat (soy sauce) you should be fine...
    a lot of cereals are rice or corn based. just look at the label and don't buy things that say "contain wheat" as EVERYTHING is marked with allergen stuff now. its super easy once you start, and not eating wheat makes you feel soooo much better. so bread, pasta, muffins, anything that contains flour, beer, soy sauce, some granolas, cakes and pasteries, bla bla are out, but you can get rice pasta, almond flour muffins, drink vodka or tequila, use coconut aminos for soy sauce, buy rice cereals instead. i found once i cut wheat and made it past the "detox" period i don't even crave that stuff anymore.
  • Subzeromambo
    Subzeromambo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It is confusing but the apps do help. Some of my favorite GF products are by Udi, Erewhon, and Nature's Path. Glutino also makes good GF snack products. Watch out for GF products that up the sweetener. Not all GF products are good for a healthy diet. Good luck!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    well I'm intolerant also, but if you don't have celiacs you will probably be fine just not eating things with gluten, but not bothering eating like "certified" gf stuff. Like I eat things that are processed in the same facility as wheat or something and I don't have issues. I just read ingredients for any ingredients that contain gluten, wheat, barley, rye, and if there's something that I'm not sure about, like wheat starch, or something that I just have no idea about, I just quickly google it on my phone.
    Also, non certified GF oats I'm fine with, so I would say try doing that just avoiding anything that contains it and not bothering with the certified stuff (get that when you can but for some things it's really not a big deal for me and it might not be for you)

If you really truely wanna go completely strictly gluten free, eat things that are certified gluten free, like have the seal on it, and things that naturally won't contain it, like potatos, rice, corn, and when it comes to processed things go for more organic things and read the ingredients and make sure it doesn't say may contain or processed in the same area as wheat or something like that.

As far as bread goes, get Udi's sandwich bread or rolls or something and other than that you can fairly easily go without things that should contain wheat, just eat meat, dairy, eggs, potatos, corn, rice, fruit, veggies, those kinds of things
  • myhealthjournal
    myhealthjournal Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everyone! your advice has been really helpful!
    i don't generally eat bread or pasta so not to worry about that
    just sucks no more oats or rolled barley for breakfast!
    but thanks :) i think im getting the hang of it now. gluten free makes me feel so much lighter!
  • jfred511
    jfred511 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My daughter has Celiac and I am gluten intolerant. I really read labels carefully for her, but honestly as you get more into it I bet you will find that you gradually just move towards naturally gluten free foods and things labelled gluten free. I make her eggs and gf toast for breakfast, or she'll have a bowl of gf cereal. We eat a lot of meat, veggies, fruits--since she was diagnosed we have really cut down on the processed stuff and I cook from scratch a lot more. There are a ton of great gf products. As someone above said, if you are intolerant and not the type of person that will get violently ill just from walking into a bakery, you're not going to notice if something has a trace of gluten in it. I need to watch out for that for my daughter, but I don't worry about it for myself.

It gets easier, I promise!
  • BreytonJay
    BreytonJay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Fun fact: my cat is gluten intolerant as well. evidently ear infections and allergies in cats most likely come from an intolerance of grains. Just a fun fact. Didn't mean to highjack your thread.:wink:
  • miranda823
    miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i just found out i'm gluten free last week. There are several great apps that you can use to scan a package and also search individual ingredients. Most of them are free. Just go into the play store and search gluten free. Some of them even tell you which restaurants have gluten free menus.

That sounds like a great app. Do you know what it/they are called? Could be really helpful to me!
  • Alice_rio
    Alice_rio Posts: 17
    Options
    Be familiar with the terms used in labels. Some of them are in scientific names such as Triticum vulgare which is wheat.
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    http://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

Also, there is a link on the page to the 'bad' list. I printed these out for a while and kept them in my purse for when I was shopping.