Protein Deficit

Options
I'm having a hard time keeping my protein and calories up. I'm working out about 1.5 hours a day, split equally between cardio and weights. I'm running a net calorie deficit of between 500 and 1000 calories a day. I don't eat red meat, but will eat fish and turkey on occasion. Typically though there isn't a lot of options at work that don't include red meat of some kind.
Has anyone tried the Vega One Nutritional Shakes? or have some other vegetarian source shake or bar that they would recommend?

Thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them myself (I'm a dedicated omnivore) but one of my friends is a vegan triathlete and he's pretty keen on their products.
  • mklarson62
    Options
    That's great to hear. thanks.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The Vegan RAW protein powder isn't bad either.
  • mklarson62
    Options
    Is that the brand name? I did a search and come up with all kinds with that name. Thanks.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    I'm having a hard time keeping my protein and calories up. I'm working out about 1.5 hours a day, split equally between cardio and weights. I'm running a net calorie deficit of between 500 and 1000 calories a day. I don't eat red meat, but will eat fish and turkey on occasion. Typically though there isn't a lot of options at work that don't include red meat of some kind.
    Has anyone tried the Vega One Nutritional Shakes? or have some other vegetarian source shake or bar that they would recommend?

Thanks

Get Hydrolized Whey Protein from Optimum Nutrition, it has 30 grams of protein per scoop. Eat the leanest turkey you can find, get the fresh stuff not deli meats or that jennie o crap with all the sodium, buy the stuff that looks like hamburger meat, one 4oz patty can have as much as 30 grams of protein.
  • mklarson62
    Options
    Ok, I'll take a look at that one as well. As for the Turkey, I usuall grab a fresh orgaic turkey breast, or the ground turkey you mentioned below.

thanks.
  • danetteowen
    Options
    Try Boca patties and Quorn fillets to add some protein and flavor to your diet.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pigs or cows and my protein is over by 30-40g every single day and I'm set at 20%, not the low 15% MFP sets for you. I second the suggestion for Optimum Nutrition protein powder. I get the vanilla ice cream flavor and make protein shakes every single day. I use cottage cheese as the base (another 14g of protein) and add fruit, pb2, pumpkin puree, etc. Here are some other sources to help you:

Chicken
    Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
    Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
    Drumstick – 11 grams
    Wing – 6 grams
    Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish
    Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
    Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork
    Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
    Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
    Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
    Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
    Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
    Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

Eggs and Dairy
    Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 14 grams
    Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)
    Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds
    Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • mklarson62
    Options
    Ok, Boca patties I've tried and quite like them. But what the heck is a Quorn fillet? I've never heard of that.

Thanks.
  • mklarson62
    Options
    I should probably know this, but what's pb2? Thanks.
  • WayJ35
    WayJ35 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Its a powdered peanut butter. Good taste and protein without the bad oils. Its great in smoothies.