Small (but huge to me!) NSV

Options
miranda823
miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
I am not a runner. I never have been. I was that kid in gym who was struggling to finish the dreaded mile under 20 minutes.

However, I have found a love in the silly, themed 5ks and would love to be able to run one some day instead of kind-of-run-but-mostly-walk it. I've started and stopped the c25k app several times but I have yet to graduate from it. I'm still working on that.

I have been starting my workouts lately with a ten minute walk/run session. It usually goes 3 mins walk, 2 minutes run and so on. Well today, my friends, I hopped on the treadmill and was jamming out to my iPod. After my first 3 minutes of walking, I started to run and decided to see how far I could go before I absolutely had to stop or I would die. I was shocked when the first time I even looked down to check the time 6 minutes had gone by! 4 minutes is the max I've ever been able to go without stopping. The best part is I wasn't even dying yet. I went another 1.5 minutes.

7.5 minutes of straight running before I had to stop.

I am just so proud of myself right now, I had to share. I may not seem like much, but it's a huge deal to me!

Replies

• jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Great work! Keep doing this! I tried and failed C25k soooo many times... but this method (running/pushing yourself at the end of a workout) got me to running 45 minutes straight! It's amazing how your body adapts so quickly. Way to go!
  • r_balogh
    r_balogh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great job, it's amazing the gains you can make when you just push yourself.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I've tried the c25k then I got tendonitis and was lazy since then so I'm trying to get back into running on my own so reading this has given me hope! Thank you for sharing!
  • squiffy113
    Options
    You go girl! I too struggle with running so I understand how huge of a victory it is. Keep up the good work!
  • miranda823
    Options
    Congratulations!

I've tried the c25k then I got tendonitis and was lazy since then so I'm trying to get back into running on my own so reading this has given me hope! Thank you for sharing!

Yay! I felt silly for posting but if t motivated you it's worth it. :)

And thanks to everyone for your encouraging responses! I'm high on life today.
  • simone2060
    simone2060 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! 6 months ago I could not run, either. I still don't LOVE it, but I've worked on it and ran my first 5k on Saturday (actually ran the whole thing). I weight 210, so I am by no means in shape. The biggest piece of advice I have been given is to not give in to the excuses to stop while I'm running. If you set a goal for the run, finish it! Ignore the "oh, I can do this tomorrow instead" feeling. Also, I find it much easier to run when I'm not on a treadmill.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Like you, I have always struggled with running...and remember feeling absolutely AMAZED with myself when I ran for 15mins straight on the treadmill (took me a long time to get there too).

I'd LOVE to say I totally caught the bug and can now run for hours without even noticing it, but I still hate running and haven't stepped on a treadmill for over a year! Might just have a go this afternoon though, imagine I wont last longer than 3 mins again now.

Anyway, the point is - that is a MASSIVE achievement and you're totally justified singing it from the rooftops! Well done.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! It's always exciting to discover what our bodies can do when we put our mind to it

Running for me has always been a love/hate relationship, but more hate. I know cardio is good for my heart, but I can't bring myself to do more than a leisurely walk now and then :laugh:

You should be proud of yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • fitNhealthyat55
    fitNhealthyat55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting. I just signed up for a 5K at the end of August and have NEVER been a runner. I am going to start training like you mentioned...run-walk-run. Having read your post I really feel like I might be able to do it.

You should be very proud of yourself :)
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, good for you! Keep it up! :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! You should be very proud, that's amazing :-)
  • miranda823
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting. I just signed up for a 5K at the end of August and have NEVER been a runner. I am going to start training like you mentioned...run-walk-run. Having read your post I really feel like I might be able to do it.

You should be very proud of yourself :)

Awesome!

And I feel like I should say I actually do like the c25k app and really recommend it as a good starting place for other nonrunners. I fully intend on starting it back up. I never thought I could finish, but I know deep down that's just my brain intimidating me.
  • hope1220
    hope1220 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also have tried and never completed the running charts but I have found that there are some days which are easier for me to run. For example, on the chart it would be 10 min run 3 min walk 10 min run. I switched it up and challenged myself and I made it 13-3-13. I was never a runner I couldn't even run for a minute and a half when I began and am now up to 27 min straight so far. So keep trying!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!