Female Runners and TOM

Options
TyFit08
TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
Do you find your running suffers during PMS or TOM? I try to keep at it, but there are times when my legs feel like lead and I feel nauseous. I started to notice that I have trouble completing my runs during this time, or at least going as far as I planned. It took me several tries to do week 3 of the Five to 10k and I really think that *kitten* TOM and his little b*$tch PMS might be getting in my way.

Replies

• hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that my runs are MUCH shorter on my TOM. I get really fatigued during that time and it definitely affects my runs. I feel like I'm dragging through the whole run, no matter the length. Definitely not a good time for me to try for PRs haha.
  • kate21797
    kate21797 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I try to run during TOM because I usually feel better afterwards (gets the blood moving) but during I feel dizzy and fatigued.
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm such a baby about TOM. I rarely workout. I just go on walks because I feel so tired and have such bad cramps...see what I mean lol?
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I do find it slows me down and makes it harder to run far, even though my periods are actually not painful or especially heavy since I had my baby. I guess there is more going on that it appears on the surface.

I still go - I feel like just keeping the will to get out the door is a small victory.

A lot of people say you benefit from having an 'easy' week once a month anyway for rest and recovery, so I just call TOM my easy week.

I also found with couch to 5k, some weeks just seemed to be a harder hump to get over than others. I'd struggle through one week and sail through the next. So maybe your body just needs some catching up time.
  • JenniferPlus2
    JenniferPlus2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    mostly it's the pms that messes with my hormones....tom is a relief compared. and yes sometimes i just wanna sit down and cry about it, so i do. it's just a week, won't hurt to ease up for a week.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have run consistently for the past three years and the better shape I became and the more I consistently worked out, that nasty PMS and TOM actually got better. I used to have horrible cramping and other symptom, but I find running and good HIIT workouts actually relieve my symptoms now. I still take an aleve or two during that time, and sometimes it's just getting the energy to get them done, but once the workouts are complete, I feel much much better.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have severe cramps, so I don't try to run the first two days. But I do feel off the days before too. At first I was beating myself up about it, but I know it is the hormonal changes. It does put a monkey wrench in the training plan
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get really fatigued and feel like I'm gonna pass out. I just take energy supplements and go (sometimes) lol