Weight training

Options
I'm very interested in heavy lifting... I really dislike cardio (I do walk my dog, clean my house, chase around two 4 year olds, and have a part time job cleaning) but as far as treadmills and bikes and crap go I just hate it. I do, however, LOVE lifting weights. It makes me feel strong and accomplished. The question is though, what positive impact will it have on my body if I am eating at a deficit to lose weight? I'm currently at TDEE-30, just gradually switching to that from the 1440 that MFP recommended, looking to lose 100 lbs, currently at 239, and I'm not eating back my exercise cals. Will I have better results doing a circuit style training (i.e. RI30, 30DS) or should I just maintain with the weights and normal, daily life cardio? I'm looking into the SL5x5... or some similar program that works compound muscle groups. I've also been looking at bodyweight training as a possible starting point since I'm not very strong. I do know a little bit about weight training as I grew up in a home where my dad was a bodybuilder (he trained with and was friends with Lee Haney, cool huh?)

Please do not flame me if you think my question is stupid (but please tell me why in a constructive way) and please do not tell me that I should be eating 1200 calories and burning myself out on cardio. I've researched quite enough to know that that is not the best way to lose weight, maintain weight loss, and be healthy. K, thx!

Replies

• prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi! Its great that you are making good choices....Have you started any of the lifting programs?I would suggest you to do cardio and weights both, but that is your choice...this will help to burn fast and also maintain the lean muscle mass...Just 20- 30 mins of high intensity cardio or 30-40 mins of slightly low intensity on your rest days when you don't lift...on lifting days you can skip cardio if you don't want....If you completely skip cardio on any of the machines...you can do circuit training ...It also helps to burn fat and maintain lean muscle...Eating 1200 cals is not necessary....you can calculate your TDEE..assuming you have already done that...With only strength training the weight loss will be slower...so I hope you wont get discouraged..
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 is a fantastic program and my girlfriend started a similar version yesterday (jason DBS 5x5.. much more intense). Weight lifting at a deficit will accomplish two things.

It will help maintain muscle during your weight loss.. keeping your TDEE higher as muscle consumes 4-5 times more calories to maintain than fat. It will also increase your strength, tone your appearance and stop you from simply become a skinny fat version of your current self. Skinny fat is very hard to come back from and is simply a term where you still have that squisy flabby appearance (maybe still with a belly) but you have lost 2-3 stone and cant work out why de fook your still wobbling in places.. big mistake many people make.

You will burn more calories than cardio.. full compound workouts burn anywhere from 300-500 calories, plus muscle repairs 48 hours after cardio continues burning calories even as you sleep. As soon as you step of that running machine your calorie burning stops unless you do HIIT..

Definitly do a 5x5 compound workout.. your gonna be laughing at the other cardio junky women who still look fat as fuark with their wobbly thighs :D
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Weight training is the best. Cardio is great too, there are runners on here who are strong and fit and blow my mind with their ability, but like you I'm not a fan of it in my own life.

I'm doing Stronglifts right now, and body weight circuits on the side cause hey, why not. For body weight I'm using the Body by You plan (It's a book, I got mine on my kindle via amazon.) and I'm a big fan. It challenges me to improve my balance and flexibility (Split squats make me weep.) and I love that. You don't need to do body weight stuff first though and I bet you're much stronger than you really think. You're chasing around 4 year olds and probably picking them up, right? Then you are strong enough to start lifting.

I'd start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    Ask around for some help and advice from other lady lifters. It's an amazing positive group and they're always happy to help.
  • Squirrel1601
    Options
    Wish my Dad was friends with Lee Haney – very cool.

If you enjoy lifting weights and want to develop strength, then go with the 5x5 strength program.