Looking for good fruit to eat

Options
I was wondering if someone out there could help me out. I have been eating a lot of bananas and prunes and I was told that bananas are not as good for you as you would think? Any thoughts? It's funny I work at a grocery store and still wonder what the best fruits are to eat but that are not expensive.

Replies

• JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    The best fruits are whatever are in season, and/or on sale. Berries are great, apples, oranges, bananas, all fruits. No need to limit your variety.
  • DBubbs
    DBubbs Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bananas ARE good for you. Eat 'em up!
    Nectarines, plums, and kiwi are favorites of mine.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bananas are higher in calories, sugar, carbs etc but they ARE GOOD FOR YOU!

Walk into your produce section and sniff the air. I'm not kidding... whatever you smell, is the best produce of the day ;)

Nectarines are big for me right now. Grapes, apples, plums, kiwi, and mangoes are my favorites
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Define "best".

Bananas are amongst the highest calorie and sugar fruits - berries are the lowest on that score.

Dried fruits (including prunes) will be the highest in sugars.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    As long as you're logging all fruit and it fits into you calorie goal then eat what you enjoy.
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    I agree with all of the above comments :)
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Berries, blue, black, straw
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    As long as you're logging all fruit and it fits into you calorie goal then eat what you enjoy.

^This.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Berries, blue, black, straw

^^ Yes! berries are #1. Nothing wrong with bananas. Watermelon is very good for you also. Both have quit a bit of natural sugars, hence high in calories.
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Fruit IS good... Banana's ARE healthy. And fruit of the season is always best.
    But as with everything: variation and moderation is the key.
    Where you can eat literally buckets of vegetables without reaching your calorie-goal, fruit does have a higher sugar content, and thus more calories.

Just eat (and log) your banana today, and add a cup of berries later today.
    And tomorrow, you might eat a peach and an slice of watermelon.
    For the next day, go for a couple of kiwi's and an apple (I'm looking at my 'transparant blanche'-tree every day: it's our earliest apple, that normally ripens around the end of July or early August - probably there are some early local varieties for you too.)

For me, a banana is often the ideal snack when I feel really hungry, because it is filling in keeps me from snacking on other things...
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i agree with all the above^^

whatever is in season - is usually your best bet in terms of taste, freshness, and price. (not always, but usually). i like to get a variety in - right now i'm eating grapes (seedless, green or red), mango, plums, peaches and watermelon. Bananas i eat year round - I started eating a half at a time because they ARE high in cals and i didn't realize (till i actually weighed one) that what I thought was *a* portion was actually 1.50-2.00 times a portion (so essentially i was logging it wrong).
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love berries,, I think they're my favorite as I can add them to yogurt, cereal, etc.

Watermelon, melon, avocado (yes, it is a fruit!), pears. I'm a bit fan of apples but not too much, I like them spicy though (with lime juice and tajin powder).

Fruits are high in sugar, so unless you're cutting sugars on purpose, they are good for you! Also, most of them have high amount of fiber, and that's always good ;)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bananas
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The best fruits are whatever are in season, and/or on sale. Berries are great, apples, oranges, bananas, all fruits. No need to limit your variety.

This!
    I prefer berries and bananas, but will eat whatever I can get for cheap :)
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Fruits that I typically eat: bananas, apples, clementines (baby oranges), cantalope, watermelon, red grapes, strawberries, and cherries. I recently learned that plums kinda taste like grapes, so I might try some of those.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Peaches are in season on the east coast right now. NOM!!! Bananas not good for you? On what planet?
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You can also look into frozen fruit to blend into a smoothie.
  • Utrecht11
    Utrecht11 Posts: 25
    Options
    30bananasaday.com will change your mind!

or youtube freelea the banana girl