You are Your Own Gym...

Hello all! I am on my second week of the You are Your Own Gym program. It is a series of graduated body weight exercises that takes 30 minutes 3 times a week. I'm excited about it and hoping that soon I may be able to do pull-ups!

I'm disappointed that none of the exercises are listed in the strength training section of myfitnesspal - so I added them myself - right now I am doing Let me Ins, Side Lunges, Push ups with hands elevate knee high, and hip raises. It seems that myfitnesspal doesn't give you credit for any burned calories for doing strength training.

Am I missing something?

I am also running a few times a week, but the strength training must certainly burn some calories?

Replies

• ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    You don't burn a lot of calories with strength training
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Hello all! I am on my second week of the You are Your Own Gym program. It is a series of graduated body weight exercises that takes 30 minutes 3 times a week. I'm excited about it and hoping that soon I may be able to do pull-ups!

I'm disappointed that none of the exercises are listed in the strength training section of myfitnesspal - so I added them myself - right now I am doing Let me Ins, Side Lunges, Push ups with hands elevate knee high, and hip raises. It seems that myfitnesspal doesn't give you credit for any burned calories for doing strength training.

Am I missing something?

I am also running a few times a week, but the strength training must certainly burn some calories?

It doesn't give you calories for strength activities because they're very hard to quantify, what with the varying intensities, weight, elevations, angles, and such that an individual may use. There is a strength setting in Cardio that you can use if you want, but the calorie count is going to be low because of all the things I just said. However strength training burns plenty of calories, just on a more 'time released' kind of deal, as opposed to an 'all up front' manner like cardio.
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    I've just started using YAYOG too, I just log it using the strength training option MFP provides since the app tracks your progress anyway.
    Good luck with the program. I'm using it for variety rather than following it 3 days a week, but I really like it so far.
  • ruthiebaby88
    ruthiebaby88 Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks for the tip - by selecting strength training in the cardio section - it gives me about 102 calories for 30 minutes. I'm happy with that!
  • goneundone
    goneundone Posts: 38 Member
    I just started YAYOG too! I read the book on Kindle and got the app on my phone. I just finished day two, week one. I'm also committing to the 100 Rep Challenge. Do 100 reps a day of any exercise you want. My exercises today totaled about 140 reps, including; 41 backward lunges per leg, 25 romanian dead lifts per leg, 58 squats, and about 20 reps of some core exercises.

Tomorrow, on my rest day instead of strength training I will do ten sets of sun salutations which has about ten movements per set = 100 reps. Plus stretching.

Did you read his book? I thought it was very good at explaining strength training vs. cardio for fat burning. Good luck!!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    You don't burn a lot of calories with strength training

The muscle you work does burn calories, and as your muscles strengthen, there is no, better fat burner then muscle. I am biased because I do YAYOG and it works better then any machine ever did. I like how you can configure your workouts for your age (I'm 62) but more specifically, for your present stage of fitness.

If it works for our military special Ops, well, goes without saying:)

• NWCountryGal
    Thanks for the tip - by selecting strength training in the cardio section - it gives me about 102 calories for 30 minutes. I'm happy with that!
    I was just on the forum at Mark's website Ruthie, and a guy that's been workin it has just shown his pics after 18 months of Yayog. He looks good;)

What happened for me was I got off all the fad "lose weight fast". I realized I need to have fun with my workouts, and not be spending money I didn't have to go to a gym I had to "dress for" etc. Gyms work for many, but it wasn't for me. I can do yayog anyplace anytime, and it does build muscle faster, for me. I eat anywhere between 1400 and 1600, I'm 5'2", 138. I was 130 last Summer with lots of definition, but had to have surgery which set me back last July. The surgery was from something since childhood, not caused from exercise in any way. I don't eat white pastas etc. I basically eat the Mediteranean Diet;) denise

• NWCountryGal
    I'm also 62, forgot to mention that;)