RUNNERS! How many carbs?!

Options
I am really small-5'3' and eat around 200-250g of carbs daily! - This results in about 53% of my diet.I also run every day anywhere between 3 and 7 miles. I still want to see results(build larger muscle) so what is the ideal amount of carbs I should be having? How many grams do you guys eat a day?

Replies

• confusedperson
    Options
    i'm 5ft 1 and i eat about the same amount! ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run and lift weights and get about 45-50% of my calories from carbs.
  • sarahhan95
    sarahhan95 Posts: 25
    Options
    I run 6 - 10 miles a day and usually consume 150 - 200 g of carbs (on a 1,400 cal allowance). Regardless of this and that study, I still believe in carb-loading as I find it WAY easier to run if I eat a lot of carbs 3 - 4 hours before my longer training (maybe that's just psychological effect).

So usually I do 2 days of intervals and weight training (on these days, I would only consume 150 g of carbs and increase my protein intake for the muscles). I do 1 day of just long run afterwards, and increase my carbs to 200 g while balancing out the protein (and about half of this amount comes from the huge bowl of pasta I eat 4 hours before the run).

I don't know if I lose or gain any weight from eating like this, but it sure is the best way for me to maximize my performance :)
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My carb intake is usually atleast 50% of my total calorie intake.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I read that for marathon running they say around 55-60% carbs
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I aim for between 55 & 60% of my calories from carbs. I need fuel for the long runs!