Working moms- when do you workout?

Options
So I have a pretty good deal with when I have to leave the house to get the kids to school on time, then a good 45min in the gym, time to get ready and off to work I go.
It has worked so well...now my job wants to start seeing patients an hour ealier- great for business, but not so great for gym time. I am trying to rework my daily schedule so gym time is still my time... it's tough with balancing the little people, work and my stuff. I feel like that's how I got 20 pound overweight to begin with...the kids and work take up most the day- luckily I love my job and my little people, but if I work out after work, then there is no time for dinner and family stuff, I was wondering what other moms do? My husband is a firefighter and works off hours, but sometimes that helps...I think I may have to go after everyone goes to bed- my gym is 24 hours, does anyone work out at night? I've always been an early riser- I'd love to hear the pro's about it, as well as the cons :tongue:

Replies

• tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. But I find that if I get up even 30 min earlier to squeeze in a workout on the wii, that I am pumped and awake for my day. Sometimes I am so jazzed after a night work out that I find it hard to sleep, but that may not be the case with everyone. You will just have to do trial and error and see what works for you.
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I am SOOOOO having problems fitting working out into my schedule. we have a 5 month old and there's just so little time in the day to spend with him. I know the best thing would be for me to get my lazy tush outa bed earlier but I am finding being a 40 year old mom to an infant is exhausting!
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, so I get up earlier than everyone and go to it. I get up at 4:30 and get at least an hour workout in before my son gets up for school. I come up with too many excuses to not workout during the day - so this works for me.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been doing workout videos (30 Day Shred and Power 90) in the evening, after dinner but before my girls go to bed. They are usually hanging out, watching TV or playing anyway. I've been wanting to get back to the gym, but the videos are a quick and effective use of my time instead of driving back and forth to the gym. I keep saying I should do my workout early in the morning, but I am having trouble committing to that. I already get up at 5:30 a.m. and am so not a morning person. :yawn:
  • Raina0512
    Options
    I have two kids and I have to be OUT of the house by 7am every morning... I wake up a 415a to workout because I can't do it any other time...
  • hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I will use my DVD's until I get into a groove with the gym. Maybe I'll get a second wind in the evening too!:happy:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I did 30DS in the mornings when I did that, but have fallen back into working out at night after the youngling is in bed. I already get up at 5 to get ready for work and it's sooo hard to drag myself out any earlier :wink: I did love getting it done first thing though - as others have said, it feels great to do it first thing and sets a great tone for the day. I have Jillians Shred with weights dvd on order, I'll probably do that in teh a.m. again.
  • twinsmomma02
    twinsmomma02 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just recently enrolled my girls in an after school martial arts program for 90 mins per day. They get picked up from school and everything, which leaves me with some free time each afternoon (between 4:30-6:00). While they are there, I am at the gym getting my work out in after I leave my job. Before I enrolled them in the after school program, I never was able to squeeze in my workouts without something else happening or having to deal with other parental duties. I decided to be selfish and put me first this time around so that I can better take care of my self. I am at work everyday by 7:00 and couldn't work out in the mornings, so I decided I needed to do something different this time around if I was really serious about making a change. I am so glad I have my own time to work out now and I don't feel guilty because the kids are doing something they absolutely love at the same time. I used to bring them with me to the gym but they hated the kids room and I felt horrible leaving them there, so i instead found the after school program for them! It does leave us with less time for dinner, homework, and family time, but what I have found is that we are spending more quality time together in the 3 hours we have before their bedtime. By having less time in the afternoon for family duties it has forced me to plan out our meals well ahead of time so I know exactly what we are having for dinner and I have little to no prep work to do as a result of planning ahead. We also no longer spend an hour a day watching tv before bedtime as we used to do... we are instead talking, planning out the next days meal, packing lunches, doing homework, etc.... This new schedule has been a little hard to adjust to for all of us, but my girls love the martial arts class and get mad when they can't go to it! I am not sure what your hours are for your job, but maybe something similar might work for you?
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I work at a university where we have free access to the gym. I have an hour for lunch so I go to the gym and eat my lunch at my desk after. It has been working really well for me. Would you be able to go on your lunch break or would there not be enough time? Even just going for a 30 minute power walk would be better than nothing.
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a two year old and 6 month old. I am not a morning person at all so I work out after my two year old goes to bed. Usually around 8. I work out at home and DH is charge of my 6 month old during that time. He doesn't go to bed until 9:30 but he doesn't usually need much attention at that time. I work out for 45 - 60 minutes then give my son his bottle, put him to bed, take a shower and go to bed myself. I don't have any trouble falling asleep usually but I know a lot of people have trouble winding after working out. I guess you need to see how your body handles it.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    If you can get up early to do it, I would try that. I would love to do that as I think it would be a good start to the day. However, I cannot get up early for the life of me. So, I just workout, at home, when my girls go to bed. I did do yoga meltdown one day while they were still up. It worked out ok but they wanted to crawl on me and under me a couple times. Because I do it at night, sometimes I have to forgo the workout however. Sometimes sleep is just more important than working out. I value sleep and think its just as important as working out.
  • AshTallman
    AshTallman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership where I only go a specific 3 days a week; Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. On Tuesday and Thursday I have to wake up around 5 if I want to go. I have to have my son at his babysitter's by 7:30, and work by 8. My husband works 2nd shift, 2 pm til maybe 11 or 12. So I'm on the go all day. I wish I didn't have to go so early b/c I'm NOT a morning person haha! But I know I need to.

**I think we need to add an extra hour or two to the day for working parents. This can be the time where we can do what we want to or need to...who's with me? =P
  • tater8589
    Options
    I'm not in the same boat, don't have kids.. But I am at work 10 hours a day 5 days a week and when I get home I have a zoo, a husband, home, and roomate to "care" for. I get to workout, at work, 2 days a week(im military, madatory pt for my unit) but its not enough and once im home its really hard to find time.

I do get some help with the home from husband and roomate... however sometimes they make it worse (Gahh) and I still have to go behind them... lol.
  • vanillagirl86
    vanillagirl86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me i work weird hours here there and everywhere so i find the best time to work out is when my daughter is at school, during the summer though it was difficult to work out. It was hot my daughter was always wanting my attention and her friends were always over at the house.