Leg cramps and exercise

Options
EmRobo
EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
Apologies if this isn't in the right section, but I am getting fed up of leg cramps. I have always suffered with them and when I mean suffered I mean suffered!! I scream the whole house down, can't bend my leg to get out of bed to put it on the cold floor/straighten it out etc, and I can't walk properly for days afterwards

Zumba and bokwa is particular straining on my legs and I feel I am about to get cramp any minute when doing the exercise. The other problem I have is I am not sleeping properly anymore as everytime I need to tun over I feel I am about to get cramp in my calf.

Anything I can do exercise/stretch wise and any foods that will help me?

If this isn't the right area, where should I post?

Replies

• rsensenig
    rsensenig Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, my legs are very tight. Stretching certainly will help some, but the biggest thing I have found is to drink lots of water.
  • EmilyGetsSkinny95
    EmilyGetsSkinny95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Potassium-rich foods like bananas, fish, yogurt, spinach, kale, and mushrooms might help the cramps. Also, being sure to drink lots of water often helps such things. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • EmRobo
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

I do drink quite a lot of water, but may try and increase it a bit more. It only seems to be recently I get them during exercise which would indicate lack of water, but it is mainly the night cramps.

Will try more potassium, water, and some stretches too :)
  • gmahort88
    gmahort88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with my feet. Middle of the night and my big toe sticks up at a 90 degree angle...painful. My doctor told me to drink tonic water. It still has quinine in it even though you can no longer get a prescription for it. The jury is still out, but it is worth a try!
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I suffered with leg cramps for decades...some nights I'd wake up and everything from my thighs to my ankles would be seized up and all I could do was scream and cry until they passed. Increasing my water intake helped a little, but didn't completely eradicate the problem. Potassium & magnesium have made a world of difference for me. I take supplements every night; if I forget, the cramps come back.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    yeah i'v heard of magnesium helping....
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My mum used to suffer leg cramps terribly at night, it kept her awake. She now drinks tonic water in the evening, the quinine in it really helps. Might be worth a try
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I've found that a good combination of stretching, hydration, salt, potassium, and magnesium helps.
  • catbubbles
    catbubbles Posts: 28
    Options
    bananas and water!

I don't like bananas, but I have to make myself eat them because it seems to work the best.
  • nsalerno90
    nsalerno90 Posts: 68
    Options
    The comments are right on - I have achy, crampy legs often and the only thing that helps is magnesium (500 mg) daily, potassium (bananas or supplements) and tons of water. If I skip any of it, I hurt. Hope this helps you. . .
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Muscle cramps can be caused by many factors and not everyone has the same reason.
    To start off with, after exercising, you must take time to cool down (a gentle walk for example) and stretch out the muscles you have used otherwise they will just tighten up and they will not easily flush out the possible lactose build up in them that may cause excessive cramping.
    Also, make sure to drink plenty of fluids especially during and after exercise.
    If you are doing a lot of intensive exercise and are sweating a lot, get lots of electrolyte fluids into your system especially for daily routines over one hour.
    Finally, eat properly and healthy all day long and make sure to get a protein based meal inside you within one to two hours of your exercise.
    If you cramp during the night, get up immediately and stretch the cramped muscle. Doing nothing will delay recovery and the symptoms will get worse.
    I hope this helps you work out these issues?
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I suffer from the same problem if I don't have my daily banana. Every time I cut my banana from my diet within 2-3 days the cramps return. They only occur in my right calf.
  • EmRobo
    Options
    Thanks all - a lot of food for thought for me!!

Where can I get electrolyte fluids, is that like a lucozade or something different?

Might try the supplements too - I have just started with a protein shake after a work out too :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Potassium. Low sodium V8 juice is another source.
  • chloeobe
    chloeobe Posts: 72
    Options
    My foots been stuck like a claw since this mornings run...ouch. Not ideal when I have to manipulate it into stilettos. Ill try some of these suggestions too :laugh:
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    how are your calcium levels? leg cramps are a sign that they're low.
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I suffer as well. It's in my family. Mine also stems from by back - I have some herniated discs. I can always tell when it's going to be a bad night. I try to drink a lot of water and I'll use a heating pad on my lower back which helps with the leg cramps. I'll also drink pickle juice or have something salty.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - a lot of food for thought for me!!

Where can I get electrolyte fluids, is that like a lucozade or something different?

Might try the supplements too - I have just started with a protein shake after a work out too :)

You don't have to take anything fancy like lucozade or supplements or anything. Electrolytes are pretty much just salt. Like others said Potassium will help you stay hydrated. A banana, avocado and a favorite for potassium is coconut water. Someone else had a great list. Warm up, cool down, lots of water, stretching, potassium, sodium and magnesium rich foods. Good luck!!!
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    My husband suffers from these as well. Besides the potassium and magnesium he take B12 and Folic acid. Believe it or not it all that is in a 5 hour energy. He no longer has the muscle ridgity that he had be
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Do you take a multivitamin? That may help too. Make sure you're staying hydrated, and have enough potassium and calcium. Have you considered yoga? Because that really helps me with my leg stiffness/cramps.