I dont know what to do

Options

Replies

• bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good for you for walking!

Even though it is really hard now, don't give up. As you lose weight walking will become easier, but walking more even without losing any will help it become easier too. The walking is great for your heart, and you won't get better unless you push yourself. Even walking 2 blocks will increase your ability until you're walking 3, then 4, and so on.

Also, I try to eat back my exercise calories because I'm not just exercising to lose weight, I'm doing it to get in shape. I want to be able to run, to go on ten mile hikes (I don't actually want to go on a ten mile hike, but I want to have the option). I want to be able to keep up with my best friend when we try new things like stand up paddleboarding or doing fun 5ks. I can't do those things unless I build a good foundation. You see people that are "skinny fat" sometimes, which means they don't weigh as much, but they also aren't in good shape. I want to be in good shape and skinny, so I exercise to increase my strength.

MFP already has a calorie deficit built in, so by eating the surplus calories allowed from exercise you'll still be at a deficit for the day. You have to eat enough calories to sustain your body, otherwise you can't gain more muscle or become stronger.

Good job though, 2 blocks of walking is better than none!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    No exercise you do should cause you pain, other than maybe some muscle soreness. If walking is going to stress your feet/knees too much, don't push it. You will only end up injuring yourself and putting yourself off exercise longer.

Look into some simple bodyweight/home exercises you can do at home that are low impact. Squat in place. Do wall sits. Do "girly" pushups (from your knees). You could even use your milk jug as a weight. Look up some beginner yoga videos. There are a lot of resources out there for ideas on simple moves you can do in the comfort of your own home so that you can pace yourself and avoid injury.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    No exercise you do should cause you pain, other than maybe some muscle soreness. If walking is going to stress your feet/knees too much, don't push it. You will only end up injuring yourself and putting yourself off exercise longer.

Look into some simple bodyweight/home exercises you can do at home that are low impact. Squat in place. Do wall sits. Do "girly" pushups (from your knees). You could even use your milk jug as a weight. Look up some beginner yoga videos. There are a lot of resources out there for ideas on simple moves you can do in the comfort of your own home so that you can pace yourself and avoid injury.

yep thats exactly what i am thinking... thank you ...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Again, a food scale is critical. Without it, no one can help you by looking at your diary. Your diary is incorrect, who knows how many calories you are eating, you certainly don't.

then i wasted all this time!!!!! :(:(

sorry, I think this is silly. While you will benefit from a food scale, both you and I lost 30lbs without one. It does help, don't get me wrong, but. ... Lots of people get by just estimating. It depends on how you do it and if you make sure to compensate. Best of luck.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

yep thats exactly what i am thinking... thank you ...

You don't have to eat exercise calories back but it is important to work on maintaining your lean muscles and increasing your cardio vascular fitness. If you can walk two blocks then do it. Try to increase the distance every week by a bit. Google geriatric exercise and find some things you can do sitting. Leslie Sansone has some great DVD's called Walk Away the Pounds that you can do at home and modify as you need to.

Exercise shouldn't cause you a lot of pain but there also is something to "no pain, no gain". Just eating less and remaining with muscle weakness and poor cardio fitness isn't the answer. If you swim, that's great exercise too. Just keep moving. A FitBit might be a good motivational tool for you to see if you can improve your activity.

My husband is in the same place. His weight prohibits him from doing things easily so he doesn't do things which in turn makes it so he can do less and it goes on and on. It doesn't seem to bother him because he's still at a point where eating whatever he wants is more important than being healthy but it bothers me because the rest of us have to make concessions for his inability to participate in life. Keep your eye on your goal and keep pushing forward.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    thank you all wonderful peeps!!

After making a couple changes - 64 oz water friday, measuring since friday and swimming half hour and walking yesterday, i broke the stupid plateau or whatever it was. (maintenance inadvertently).

i am now down past that stupid number!!! im going to keep this up.

yipee yahooey!!!!

it wasn't that hard either.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    thank you all wonderful peeps!!

After making a couple changes - 64 oz water friday, measuring since friday and swimming half hour and walking yesterday, i broke the stupid plateau or whatever it was. (maintenance inadvertently).

i am now down past that stupid number!!! im going to keep this up.

yipee yahooey!!!!

it wasn't that hard either.

yay nice one!!! :flowerforyou:
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    I was just thinking this - could this be true?

If a person has been maintaining their weight for a time, because of overestimating the calories eaten, then as soon as the person begins to lower just 500 calories a day, then the weight ought to come off 1 pound a week. so maybe i was just 500 calories over each day.

That would be great if the weight was ready to come off but i had just been ingesting a bit too many calories.. now i hope this trend continues.

this is the reward.. it was so discouraging for a bit. but i didn't give up. mentally though this is a tough thing to deal with getting on the scale and it doesnt move. and i thought i was doing everything right.. wow... so glad you guys enlightened me :):):)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking this - could this be true?

If a person has been maintaining their weight for a time, because of overestimating the calories eaten, then as soon as the person begins to lower just 500 calories a day, then the weight ought to come off 1 pound a week. so maybe i was just 500 calories over each day.

from http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat#calories

"It’s traditionally suggested that you subtract 500 calories from your maintenance level per day. This 500 cal/day would net a 3,500 calorie deficit by the end of 1 week. Since there are 3,500 calories in 1 pound of fat, it’s a simple way to lose 1 pound of fat per week. Or so it seems.

Many people quickly learn that this simple formula doesn’t typically pan out in the real world. There are a number of reasons why it doesn’t – most notably is the fact that as we lose weight, our metabolic rate drops. Most of this is due to the loss of tissue… which means less mass to support and move around. Some of this has to do with what’s referred to as adaptive thermogenesis (or zomg! the starvation mode), which is basically your body shifting into conservation mode in response to the energy shortfall.

The formula also fails quite often due to the fact that even if metabolic rate was static, very few people come close to accurately creating a 500 cal/day deficit. As noted above, it’s common to have people underestimating their calorie consumption and overestimating their calorie expenditure. Not to mention the fact that the 3,500 calorie/week deficit assumes we’re losing fat tissue and nothing else, which is rarely the case.

Put simply… the rate of weight loss is not always linear.

Of course when the formula doesn’t pan out… when people don’t lose their targeted 1 lb of weight per week… they blame it on calories not working rather than the obvious. Manage your expectations according to reality! If you expect to lose weight each and every week and to reach your goal weight looking exactly like the model on the cover of your favorite magazine, you’re likely to wind up disappointed and frustrated.

We have an alternative solution.

What you estimate your energy expenditure to be isn’t all that important compared to what you do after you estimate it. Remember, you’re not signing a binding contract here. You’re simply estimating how many calories your body burns in a day. From there, you can set calorie intake above or below your estimation in order to gain or lose weight respectively.

Our recommendation is to autoregulate this intake on the fly based on what’s happening in real time. You don’t set your car to cruise control and expect to arrive at your destination without touching the breaks or turning the wheel, do you?"
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I may be late to this party, but the place you want to go for shoes in Chicago is Fleet Feet Sports- there are two locations in Chicago, I've gone to the one in Old Town. When my daughter first started to run cross country, I took her there. They spend about an hour with her - can you imagine, an 11 year old!!! - looking at her gait and seeing how she runs. They have a treadmill with a video to see how your run - they can no doubt help you get the right shoes for what you need. They were amazingly helpful and I am sure that they will cheer you on so that one day you'll be asking for help getting ready for your first 5k!!

Stick with it! It will happen.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Water Water Water! 1/2 your weight in ounces. So if you weigh 200, you need to be drinking 100 ounces a day!
  • Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you are just eyeballing your food, no way are you tracking correctly. You must weigh your food, even measuring cups cannot be trusted. The scale is your best weapon to lose weight. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.
    This is all you need to know. It really is eye-opening when you start to weigh and realise how many calories are in small amounts of food. It very quickly adds up. My scales were £10 from Amazon and I weigh things a few times a day to check.

I have lost on average 1.6 pounds per week for the past 4 months and have not plateaued at all. Good luck.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Again, a food scale is critical. Without it, no one can help you by looking at your diary. Your diary is incorrect, who knows how many calories you are eating, you certainly don't.

then i wasted all this time!!!!! :(:(

You didn't waste the time...you're just learning. You can do this!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Lower your carbs and up your protein.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water AND measuring have done the trick!!!!

its going down !!!
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! :)

I would like to add that the weighing is only annoying at the beginning. I only started 5 days ago and I already have loads of numbers in my head, reducing the effort. I think the biggest shocker for me was 1 tablespoon of olive oil... oh myyyyy!! Yeah, eyeballing doesn't cut it.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    wants to lose fat

doesnt have a scale

not sure if serious

This plus

goes out for pizza and tacos to 'fix' the problem
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You will definitely do better by staying well hydrated. It helps me to keep a water bottle with me to sip from all the time. Also, get some activity every day! Start with a 30 minute walk and go from there. Exercise makes all the difference for me.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Drink more H2O. Make exercise a REGULAR part of your routine. Meaning-- commit to at least 3 workouts each week, 40-60 minutes each. When you plateau again-- increase your work outs and/or intensity of work outs. As far as MY weight loss goes, exercise is every bit as important as eating at a deficit.

^This! You have to drink more water, 3 glasses is not enough. Working out, especially adding in strength training. Try getting some 5 pound weights and taking a long walk while holding them. Nothing big but I will be harder than just a regular walk. Do something for 15 minutes everyday that will get you a little bit closer to your goal weight.
  • jxl430
    jxl430 Posts: 2
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your diary and it seems to me you are eating too much carbs...
    I have lost 45 lbs in the last 4 months by cutting down on carbs and keeping it around 130g a day. I also keep my calories around 1200cal a day.
    MY BMI was 49% when I started and I am now down to 43%...

But that is just me :)