Fluctuating weight...anyone?

Options
What causes my weight to fluctuate so much? I know it's natural to fluctuate some day to day, hour to hour. But what about 4-6 lbs? I weigh once a day or once every 2 days, same time of day. I weigh when I first wake up, after I pee, & naked. It just seems crazy to me. *TMI ALERT* could Bowel movements have that much of an effect? I know I'm not regular always & I have IBS. but I dont feel constipated, it's just normal for me. Also, how do you know if you're losing water weight or actual fat?

Replies

• jessimamma09
    jessimamma09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    My weight jumps 4 - 6lbs easily overnight.

Here are some of the causes (all due to water retention)

- A high (compared to your usual intake) sodium day, either the previous day, or two days before (I see it 2 days after consumption)
    - A low water day the previous day
    - Sore muscles, even if you don't feel sore. This will be especially true if you lift heavy weights
    - You have just started a new exercise regime, you need to give it 4 - 6 weeks before the weight will start to drop again
    - Periods... middle of your cycle, a few days before bleeding, possibly even a few days into the next cycle. Periods do not agree with the scale

Over time my fluctuations have lessened (my theory is I'm always in some state of sore muscles, my sodium levels stay quite stable and I drink s**t loads of water)

Because I suffer (ed) these HUGE fluctuations I weigh daily, use an iPhone app called "Happy Scale" which plots my downward trend, ignoring my extreme fluctuations. Keeps me sane, keeps me happy, lets my body do it's thing.

ETA: Bowel movements will also affect your weight, perhaps 1 or 2 lbs, but it all evens out. After about the first 5lbs you can be pretty safe that you're no longer just losing water.
  • nillymomma
    nillymomma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Water weight likely counts for most of it, and for several different reason. For women especially, hormones and monthly cycles play a large part in water retention. Your body will also retain water when it's working to repair muscle. I've found that I have a "flush" about every month or two. I wish it was easier for me, but I don't see my fat loss on the scale week to week. I would encourage you to stop weighing in every day. Or, advice I read was to compare you weight to the same week in your cycle. So for instance, compare your weight with what you were 4 weeks ago.

As for knowing if you're losing water or fat... it takes 3500 calories to lose/gain 1 pound of fat. Anytime I see a 2lb flux on the scale in a day, it can't possibly be that I gained 2 pounds of fat overnight. I would have to eat an excess of 7000 calories above what my body burns at rest. Just this week my weight has gone up 4 pounds in 3 days. I've been consistent in my diet and workout... so it has to be water.

Give yourself time, and don't give up!
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've had days of 8lbs of fluctuation, don't worry about it
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate by up to 4lb too.... I ignore tham and oly record my new low _ good luck!
  • ellaraenae1
    ellaraenae1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I find if I drink --- alcohol --

I could gain a couple of pounds --

So maybe think about did you have a glass of wine or a beer or a martini --

Then let it go and remember today is the first day of your life and do your best to get back on track --

Enjoy the opportunities life has provided --
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a graph of their day to day weight recently ... Over the long haul he was losing weight steadily but there were fluctuations of up to 4-5 lbs per day at times. If it bothers you or worries you, maybe you shouldn't weigh yourself too often.

Also, see nillysmom above for a good explanation of water weight loss.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My weight has been fluctuating like crazy since I got to a lower weight. I gain a couple of pounds from eating too much sodium, drinking alcohol, not enough water throughout the day (especially before I go to bed!) and working out the previous day or two ago.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I've gained 3kg, dropped 3kg and gained 3kg in one day :smile:

Just need to get over the numbers.

To measure fat loss you should be taking measurements and pics. As well as assessing your strength levels as the weight does drop over time.
  • jessimamma09
    jessimamma09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank You! That makes great sense to me! & I actually got my menses today (early). So that could certainly be part of my current fluctuation! & I've had wader retention problems & high blood pressure for the past 2 years. I used to take HCTC to draw water off & lower my blood pressure but no longer take it as my blood pressure has been more stable. Low water? Really? I never drink enough water :( This is one of the main health habits I need to work on! I'm lucky to drink one glass a day! Tho yesterday I forced myself to drink 3 cups before bed after realizing I hadn't drank any for the day!
    My weight jumps 4 - 6lbs easily overnight.

Here are some of the causes (all due to water retention)

- A high (compared to your usual intake) sodium day, either the previous day, or two days before (I see it 2 days after consumption)
    - A low water day the previous day
    - Sore muscles, even if you don't feel sore. This will be especially true if you lift heavy weights
    - You have just started a new exercise regime, you need to give it 4 - 6 weeks before the weight will start to drop again
    - Periods... middle of your cycle, a few days before bleeding, possibly even a few days into the next cycle. Periods do not agree with the scale

Over time my fluctuations have lessened (my theory is I'm always in some state of sore muscles, my sodium levels stay quite stable and I drink s**t loads of water)

Because I suffer (ed) these HUGE fluctuations I weigh daily, use an iPhone app called "Happy Scale" which plots my downward trend, ignoring my extreme fluctuations. Keeps me sane, keeps me happy, lets my body do it's thing.

ETA: Bowel movements will also affect your weight, perhaps 1 or 2 lbs, but it all evens out. After about the first 5lbs you can be pretty safe that you're no longer just losing water.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Thank You! That makes great sense to me! & I actually got my menses today (early). So that could certainly be part of my current fluctuation! & I've had wader retention problems & high blood pressure for the past 2 years. I used to take HCTC to draw water off & lower my blood pressure but no longer take it as my blood pressure has been more stable. Low water? Really? I never drink enough water :( This is one of the main health habits I need to work on! I'm lucky to drink one glass a day! Tho yesterday I forced myself to drink 3 cups before bed after realizing I hadn't drank any for the day!

If you upped your water (really do try to get at least 8 glasses) you will see a big scale drop.

The body holds on to water when it feels like it's not getting enough, as soon as you start providing it with more water it will let some of the stored stuff go.

Glad I could help, just remember a large gain on the scale overnight will ALWAYS be water!!