Can anyone share how they turn their mental hunger off?

Options
I find that even when I'm physically full or satisfied, I can't seem to turn off my mental desire to eat. It is maddening. It seems to be most difficult for me at night, and I struggle to ignore it and not act upon it. While I am aware the problem is clearly psychological, I don't know how to handle it. So this trigger doesn't appear to be emotion driven but like a non-stop preoccupation in my mind. Does anyone else deal with this? If so, how do you handle it?

Replies

• emulert
    Options
    Suffer through it--no tricks I'm afraid :)
  • gperry227
    Options
    I wish I had the answer to that because I do the same exact thing!!!! I know that isn't help, but maybe someone out there has a solution????
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Drinking water helps. Also, nibble on something low-cal when the need becomes too great - mints or carrots or something.
  • tater8589
    Options
    I have read a study recently (haven't tested myself yet) that if you smell vanilla or peppermint it tricks the brain into thinking its eaten and you won't eat as much.

Also, i like to nibble on cheese or sunflower seeds just to get rid of the edge.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Chew gum. If you find yourself wanting to snack due to boredom (which it sounds like if you already feel full), do something to keep your mouth occupied that doesn't involve eating.
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    This is just a possibility, but the reason you still feel hungry might be because your eating the wrong foods. Examine your diet and check to make sure you aren't lacking protein or any other macro nutrients in your diet. As far as feeling hungry in the evening goes I am the same way and honestly, I embrace it, kinda, I personally don't share the belief that a person should not eat before they go to bed. I usually have a small snack within an hour of going to sleep but it's always something super lean and has little to no carbohydrates.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I try to distract myself with something else or I get carrot sticks to munch on or popcorn, or gum. Because you can do alot of chewing for not very many calories. I hope this helps
  • scarlettbleu
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing. I've found that sipping on water/tea/diet soda helps out a lot. Nights are the hardest, I've had a tendency to skip breakfast and eat late at night (not healthy). But I've been finding that the more I drink, basically keep my mouth occupied, the less likely I am to snack.

I just noticed that stormieweather recs the same thing, so sorry for the redundancy.
  • zkowboy99
    Options
    I have the same issue but the things that I have found to help is to eat more smaller meals throughout the day and drink plenty of water. I eat usually 5 – 6 meals and drink close to 3 liters of water. If that’s not enough I do like everyone else has been posting and eat carrots or celery with more water.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Another thing to try is to stay busy. Clean something. Do some exercise. Play a game. If your hands and your brain are busy then they won't have time to deal with food. If you're too tired for heavy activity at that time of night and end up watching TV, play a video game instead. (Just don't get too distracted and stay up too late!)

I notice that if I'm busy doing something, I might even forget to eat when I'm supposed to.
  • starstealing
    Options
    yes, water, gum, occupying self... and also looking at old skinny pictures. ; )
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I exercise! Usually by the time I'm done my "hunger" has subsided, and if it hasn't I eat without feeling guilty because I know I earned it.
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Even after i eat a whole meal, i mindlessly munch while i am cleaning up. How do i curb that? its sooooo frustrating!
  • susanleasings
    susanleasings Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself "will this make me happy?" Odds are, it will not. Start journaling when you feel like that and try to figure out your emotional cues that trigger cravings.
    I tend to eat when I am angry, sad, or bored - like right now.....bored! :) So....next time you're craving something but you know it won't make you happy - get on here and blog!
    Good luck in your lifestyle change! You can do this! :wink:
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    sometimes I have a cup of tea (usually peppermint) other times if possible I'll do some yoga, it really clears my mind and relaxes me. I think I have more cravings when I'm stressed, so it helps. I'm also trying to add more variety to what I eat because I have more cravings when I don't really enjoy my food.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I make some herbal tea, or totally distract myself with a video game, or facebook. Sometimes even just taking the dog out to pee is long enough to make me forget it.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I work with people trying to quit smoking (which is actually very close to quitting emotional eating), and experts recommend using the 4 Ds:

1. Drink water
    2. Delay
    3. Distract yourself
    4. Do something else

It may help you to take some time to sit down and make a plan of what you will do when the urge hits. For example, you could make a little basket with crossword puzzles or knitting materials or ANYTHING that you can go to immediately to keep your mind off of the munchies. Also making sure you have a list of reasons (ie. motivations) that you can hang on the refrigerator might be helpful as a reminder to not indulge the urge.

Also on a personal note, when I'm really trying to lose weight and maintain focus, I go to bed early. This also helps me to have energy in the morning and exercise first thing.