Help, shoes under threat

Options
1a1a
1a1a Posts: 761 Member
Clearing out my wardrobe I find evidence that some kind of insect has been feasting on my old leather docs. I can let the docs go but I have iceskates in storage too, want to save the skates. What's eating my footwear? How do I get rid of it?

Replies

• 1a1a
    Options
    bump
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Shoe fly.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's insects and not vermin? That being said mothballs might work, but they stink. You could also get some peppermint essential oil, apply it to some cottonballs, and place in/around your shoes & skates in storage. Peppermint deters insects, bats, mice, moles... the list goes on.
  • MackLuster77
    MackLuster77 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a leather weavil. Or some other made up ****.
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Shoe fly.
    :laugh:
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Google "odorless moth balls" you should be able to find several options.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    you could try bounce sheets too? I've heard they work, and they don't stink.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You sure its a bug, and not a rodent? I think I would call the exterminator!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'm going with mouse.

Set a trap for it to be sure then stuff your shoes with dryer sheets and moth balls.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Irish Spring soap. Keeps critters away and smells much better than mothballs.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Spray them some anti-insect spray
  • 1a1a
    Options
    There are rodents as well but they are much loved pets haha. I'm thinking bugs cos there are mounds of tiny brown spheres, like what weevils leave behind in the pantry when they're gone.

Thanks for the suggestions peeps :-)