Pregnant again!!!

Options
so y husband and I found out yesterday we are having another baby! I still want to exercise, and eat right. Please help I want to continue my journey! but what exercises should I do and how should I eat?

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor? I wish I knew something about pregnancy and nutrition, but I don't, so I couldn't really suggest anything besides talking to your doctor.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    no kids yet but I know at my gym there is a pregnancy yoga and fitness course. maybe do a youtube hunt for some fitness videos? as for food, no idea i'm afraid..again I would do research online or find a book?

congradulations!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    you will most likely need to talk to your obgyn to get some ideas. Healthy is a good thing while you are carrying. The only point I remember is lots of folic acid.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am sure you will gets loads of advice here on the forum, but please discuss this with your doctor, and above all else, listen to your body.

Congratulations!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I'm slightly jealous :) I want another
    I would recommend eating only a little over maintenance. More than likely you don't want to be in a deficit at least. As long as you're pregnancy is low risk, there isn't anything wrong with continuing the exercises you did before. Just listen to your body and back down as needed. I kept running until about 5 months both times and had to switch to low impact cardio, and the second time I was able to keep lifting until about 8 months, just didn't increase my weights too much.
    Of course, I'll add in the standard disclaimer of "talk to your doctor" :)
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Talk to your doctor about your nutritional needs and your questions about exercise. Especially when you are pregnant, it is best to listen to your doctor.
  • schmoozie26
    schmoozie26 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You could add approximately 300-500 calories into your daily calorie intake (I beleive they usually say 300) and continue to exercise. I did some cardio/walked/jogged up till I was 8 months pregnant and the only reason I stopped is because I hurt my ankle. As long as it's an exercise that you have been doing, you can continue. If its something that is super high intensity like Insanity or something like that, I'd check w/ you DR but would probably be fine for a while. Best of luck on your journey!!!
  • OldManMurray
    OldManMurray Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but I know some people who went to prenatal water aerobics classes so you could maybe see if there is anything like that nearby (also a good way to meet people who will all be having babies round about the same time).

Also, congratulations!
  • schmoozie26
    schmoozie26 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OH...and as said above..........300 or so above maintenance......
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Well...you should eat about 3-500 above your maintenance calories to put on an appropriate amount of weight. If you're not eating a variety of fruits and veggies already, now's the time to start to get that baby the nutrients it needs :)

You'll also want to make sure you get 2-3 servings of dairy a day (no more, no less). Babies are total leeches - if you're not putting enough calcium into your system, your baby will take it from your bones and leave you more prone to osteoporosis later in life. However, if you get too much calcium, the calcium will block iron absorption and could leave you anemic - especially since you're pumping blood for two now. So, 8oz of milk, a piece of string cheese (or equivalent) and a 5oz yogurt are appropriate portion sizes.

You'll want to stay away from cold deli meats (you can eat ham, you just have to cook it until it's steaming before eating it), unpasteurized cheese and milk, and fish high in mercury like king mackerel and swordfish. Eating 2 servings of low-mercury fish each week, like salmon and tilapia can boost your baby's IQ.

And for heaven's sake, please - PLEASE start a prenatal vitamin if you haven't already. The folic acid is critical in the first few weeks of development.

As for exercise, during your first and second trimesters, whatever exercise you're currently doing is usually just fine. Although you will want to okay that with your doctor. As the baby gets bigger, you'll be a bit more restricted in movement, as well as for safety reasons, so you'll want to take it a little easier. But walking/jogging, lunges, most yoga poses - anything that doesn't put pressure on your belly is generally considered safe.

You should also make sure that everybody in the house, or anyone that will be taking care of the baby, gets a flu shot and a Tdap - not to protect you guys, but to protect the baby. More infants end up in hospitals each year for completely preventable diseases than any other cause.

Oh, and congratulations! :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I agree talk to your doctor, but I went with my daughter to her first visit and they told her to keep exercising, don't start anything new, listen to your body and stay healthy. My Zumba instructor taught Zumba up to 2 weeks before her due date. And now the other instructor is pregnant and her doctor told her to she could continue to run as long as it didn't cause her any pain. I have other friends that have exercised just as hard right up till they gave birth. Exercise is good for you and for the baby. Don't give it up and you don't have to tone it down unless 1) your doctor says to or 2) your body, ie the baby, is telling you to.
    Food wise I can't say how much or what you should eat. Just eat healthy for you and the baby.
  • topgals
    topgals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Avoid high impact exercise. I do swimming, spinning, boxercise (but low impact so slow skipping, jog on spot, half jacks instaead of jump jacks), walking, body pump (don't lie flat on back from 15wks, have bench at incline.

I add my trimester calories onto my diary at breakfast & set my diary to maintain. I'm 18wks & I've gained 9lb so average half lb week gain :-)

Feel free to add me as friend & you can stalk my diary

Xx
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Just found out we're pregnant with #2. I gained 45lbs with my first one, so I am determined to do better this time around. I am also 10 lbs heavier than when I got pregnant with my daugther so I can't afford to gain 45lbs again. I plan on doing my elliptical 3-4 times per week and eating much healthier. They say you don't need to add any extra calories the 1st trimester and only 300 the 2nd and 3rd.

Feel free to add me!
  • amonieg
    amonieg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Talk to your ObGYN but if you were exercising prior to your preganancy you can exercise during, but pregnancy is not the time to start. I know someone who continued to run throughout her pregancy. Congrats!
  • LusciousLady
    LusciousLady Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congrats....!!!!!! During my pregnancy I was told to try and walk at least 3x a week for about 30 mins but not to strain and I was also gestational diabetic so I had a strict diet that included all baked foods and veggies...So definitely talk to the doctor but just don't go overboard.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Eat "normally" i.e. not a weight loss diet--check out the government food guide recommendations. And you should be able to exercise the same as if you weren't pregnant, as long as things are progressing normally. congratulations.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor!
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Like others have said, definitely talk to your obgyn before beginning anything. Usually light exercise is highly recommended during pregnancy unless you are advised not to. I would also suggest seeing a nutritionist if one is available so you gain the perfect amount of weight for your current weight and height. I wish I would have done that while I was pregnant with my daughter.

Good luck with everything and congrats!! :flowerforyou: