Couch to 5K

Options
Could someone please explain, from start to finish, in a simple way what this couch to 5K running thing is about?

Also, what EXACTLY is the "C25K" ?

I know it's probably something straight forward, but I am but a simple town boy...

Lol.

But seriously, any explanation on this would be muchos appreciated!

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Gets you going from sitting on the Couch, gradually you run a bit more and more until you're running up to [2] 5k

Basically you start out each session walking, then at intervals you run for a few seconds then walk again then run again then walk...as the weeks progress you run a little longer and walk a little less, till at the final week you're running the whole 5k distance.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    C25k = Couch to 5k. It's a program designed to take someone from not running at all to running a 5k race in about 2 months. It gives you a breakdown of run distances, speed training (in some cases) and rest days for the entire period. The distances build over the sessions to allow you to work up to a full 5k at a reasonable pace.
  • GezBez
    GezBez Posts: 13
    Options
    it is a fantastic programme for someone that wants to take up running. I downloaded the UK NHS podcasts/mp3's... basically stick your head phones in and do what she tells you to do :)

it basically takes you from the couch to running 5k... and you do it in your own time. The programme is 3 times per week walking/running.

I am loving it... taking longer than I wanted to get through the weeks, but that is fine :)
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    it is a fantastic programme for someone that wants to take up running. I downloaded the UK NHS podcasts/mp3's... basically stick your head phones in and do what she tells you to do :)

it basically takes you from the couch to running 5k... and you do it in your own time. The programme is 3 times per week walking/running.

I am loving it... taking longer than I wanted to get through the weeks, but that is fine :)

OK, great. Sounds like something I would be willing to do!

Is this something I could opt to do on the treadmill, as opposed to running outside? I prefer the treadmill, that way people don't see me sweating buckets!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You can, but the transition to running in a race is tougher then. Treadmills tend to burn a little less since there is no variation in levelness and elevation (unless you bump up the inclince to about 3%, if I remember correctly). There are several C25k programs expressly designed for use on the treadmill.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Here's the first 3 weeks programme to give you an idea:

Week 1: Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
    Week 2: Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
    Week 3: Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
    Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)

The complete programme can be found here http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You do 3 sessions a week. Takes about 30 mins per session.

You can get apps (including free ones) for iPhones and android. You can also download podcasts.

I've heard that the NHS ones are good. You can find them here http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx

Hope this gives you an idea of the programme.

I'm planning to start it soon using the NHS podcasts.

Good luck! (Add me if you want any support)
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Here's the first 3 weeks programme to give you an idea:

Week 1: Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
    Week 2: Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
    Week 3: Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
    Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
    Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
    Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)

The complete programme can be found here http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You do 3 sessions a week. Takes about 30 mins per session.

You can get apps (including free ones) for iPhones and android. You can also download podcasts.

I've heard that the NHS ones are good. You can find them here http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx

Hope this gives you an idea of the programme.

I'm planning to start it soon using the NHS podcasts.

Good luck! (Add me if you want any support)

Thanks LaserMum, that pretty much clears it all up for me!

I had been walking on my treadmill for 30 minutes a day, at 4.5MPH, then bumping up to 6mph for the last 2 minutes, which had me jogging. And I will send you a friend request!
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    You can, but the transition to running in a race is tougher then. Treadmills tend to burn a little less since there is no variation in levelness and elevation (unless you bump up the inclince to about 3%, if I remember correctly). There are several C25k programs expressly designed for use on the treadmill.

Yeah, the treadmill does have incline on it. I've never bothered with it. Will try it out later!
  • natalieblakeley
    natalieblakeley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 day 1 and I'm doing it on the treadmill. I actually think treadmill running is harder than road running so it'll be interesting to see if i 'perform' better outside.

Crack on with it, it's amazing! I've downlaoded an app on my iphone which is exactly the same as the NHS one but i can use my own playlist. The music on the NHS one is a bit rubbish xxx
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I'm on week 3 day 1 and I'm doing it on the treadmill. I actually think treadmill running is harder than road running so it'll be interesting to see if i 'perform' better outside.

Crack on with it, it's amazing! I've downlaoded an app on my iphone which is exactly the same as the NHS one but i can use my own playlist. The music on the NHS one is a bit rubbish xxx

Yeah, you know, I thought the treadmill was a bit harder as well! I know running in the great outdoors probably is the better option, but until I've shed more weight, I'll stick to my treadmill!

Which app for the iPhone do you have? I have a 5th gen iPod (well, my girl does, I just steal hers) so I can download it on that!
  • trinity77
    trinity77 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I used C25K to get running. I found it easy to run outside as it's easier to change your speed up and down. I also found running outside less conspicuous. I figured that I wouldn't be around long enough for anyone to stare, to be honest most people are very encouraging.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Good luck!

I used C25K to get running. I found it easy to run outside as it's easier to change your speed up and down. I also found running outside less conspicuous. I figured that I wouldn't be around long enough for anyone to stare, to be honest most people are very encouraging.

I know what you're saying Trinity. It's just I'm very aware that I am overweight, and I am very aware when I'm sweating profusely! I don't want people to be pointing and saying stuff like "Lol, look at the fat sweaty guy trying to run"

Lol, once I've shed more weight, I'll probably be far more comfortable running outdoors!
  • natalieblakeley
    natalieblakeley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Its just called C25K Free. I've got a 4s and im assuming that the app is viable on both models but im a technophobe so could be wrong.

I live in a village and there isnt a cat in hells chance i'll be sharing my sweat with the yummy mummy's trotting around in their spandex! Maybe in 50lbs time........
  • HooleyHoops
    HooleyHoops Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I know what you're saying Trinity. It's just I'm very aware that I am overweight, and I am very aware when I'm sweating profusely! I don't want people to be pointing and saying stuff like "Lol, look at the fat sweaty guy trying to run"

Lol, once I've shed more weight, I'll probably be far more comfortable running outdoors!

You know I've had the same issues before in thinking about running outside but I have to say its more interesting than the treadmill....plus you can run on quieter roads where less people are if you are that bothered. :-)
  • Brewtime
    Brewtime Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started monday and today will is a runnning day. I head over to the local High School and use the track. My thighs are a little sore forn day one. I plan on running my first 5k this November. The program takes 90 day if you follow it.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    This is a great program for the beginning runner. It takes you step by step and was designed well. Even when you think you are not going to be able to do it, you will be amazed at the conditioning that you have already done. Couple things to remember though:
    This is not a race so don't worry abut the speed, go slow if you need to
    If you feel you are not ready to move onto the next week, then don't feel bad for redoing a week
    Don't compare your times/distances to others who are doing the program, everyone is different and your speed/distance will come later

I am on week 9 day 2 now and I have loved what the program has done, it has taken me 11 weeks to get here but I am happy with my progress. I actually started off in the gym on the treadmill, but in week 4 I moved it outside. The terrain outside is a lot more challenging and it is really a completely different running experience.

Have fun and enjoy the experience.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I just started with week 4 of my c25k program, and I run only on a treadmill for now. I figure I will probably do the program on the treadmill, and then go back 2 weeks to try and start running outside.
    Anyways I'm sidelined with pretty wicked shin splints so I'm on a 2 week break (and I am pretty disappointed). If you are thinkin about picking this up, a couple of suggestions....

STRETCH !! Before and AFTER workout. Learn how to stretch correctly and for correct durations. I know the c25k program is awesome but I don't think it takes into account overweight people, just people who have not run before. Us big guys need to make sure leg muscles get stretched to ensure no issues.

Get good running shoes !! If you are gonna commit to this, I cant suggest this enough. It kinda sucks to spend the money but I learned this the hard way. My $60 Nike cross trainers are garbage. Go to a real running shoe store and have them do an analysis. Yes the shoes are expensive but every single person I know that runs said this should be the one of the top priorities to ensure injury prevention. A very close female friend of mine who has done a few Iron Man races couldn't stress this enough to me.

Have fun and good luck....I now see why people become almost addicted to running
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I just started with week 4 of my c25k program, and I run only on a treadmill for now. I figure I will probably do the program on the treadmill, and then go back 2 weeks to try and start running outside.
    Anyways I'm sidelined with pretty wicked shin splints so I'm on a 2 week break (and I am pretty disappointed). If you are thinkin about picking this up, a couple of suggestions....

STRETCH !! Before and AFTER workout. Learn how to stretch correctly and for correct durations. I know the c25k program is awesome but I don't think it takes into account overweight people, just people who have not run before. Us big guys need to make sure leg muscles get stretched to ensure no issues.

Get good running shoes !! If you are gonna commit to this, I cant suggest this enough. It kinda sucks to spend the money but I learned this the hard way. My $60 Nike cross trainers are garbage. Go to a real running shoe store and have them do an analysis. Yes the shoes are expensive but every single person I know that runs said this should be the one of the top priorities to ensure injury prevention. A very close female friend of mine who has done a few Iron Man races couldn't stress this enough to me.

Have fun and good luck....I now see why people become almost addicted to running

Yeah, I do have a decent pair of Adidas trainers that are running shoes. I've been using them this last month or so on my treadmill, but I will probably invest in a new pair.

Definitely going to give this C25K a go, have already downloaded to the iPod.

Thanks for all the suggestions/explanations guys. Twoz muchos appreciated.