Question to all FEMALES who have succeed in weight loss!

Options
Hello Ladies:

I am asking this question to the females bc we all know how easy it is for men to loose weight (more so then women) and to get fit. I am 5'4" and 199 lbs (lost 3 lbs in a 2 weeks) and I am working out for the most part 5-6 a week with cardio 4 days, whether it is walking/jogging or the Elliptical machine. I do lift weight and brake my lifting days as "arm day", "leg day" etc...however, I am NOT seeing a lot of results... I know I have to be patient and so on but I want to know if there is something I might be missing?

I have never been afraid of weight lifting, I actually love it...I would LOVE to get fit (like competition fit) since I do like that type of physique and lifestyle. Should i be cutting some things out of my diet, adding others...increase my weight...do more Cardio?

Help...would love to hear from all of you out there with wisdom in this department.

...and like i have said before...please no sarcasm, smart, mean comments; I have encountered those quite a lot although this is a support site!

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• jabercrombie0780
    jabercrombie0780 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For a long time, I was working out a lot and not seeing results. People, not so subtly, would ask why I wasn't smaller with all of the exercise I did. What has made all of the difference for me is to pay attention to what my body is telling me in terms of food. As a result, I eat pretty much what I want to. When you really pay attention, you'll notice that you don't crave as many bad things, and that you know when to stop eating. There's a page on Facebook called "Diets are Fattening" and I love it. It just makes so much sense, and that philosophy is what has finally helped me to start losing.
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I know alot of people do not agree with me but for myself I was having the same problem and I cut back calories instead of ate them back. I ate all lean meat and green veggies. Yogurt and fruit nothing processed. This worked for me to get the scale moving.... Good luck...... I know it gets so frustrating...
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice... I am starting to get lots of new ideas which will hopefully help!
  • sarahhan95
    sarahhan95 Posts: 25
    Options
    If you are losing 3 lbs in 2 weeks, then be patient, because you are right on track. One should only lpse maximum 2 lbs per week, I believe. Sustainable and long lasting weightloss is all about taking one step at a time and creating a new lifestyle. Keep it up! Give it some time, and I promise you, there will be some wonderful and noticeable changes happen soon.

In terms of getting the best out of your exercise routine, I have a few tips to make the best out of your workout. In the cardio days, maybe you can sometimes spice things up by doing HIIT, which means instead of just walking/jogging, you can do a few minutes of continually alternating between walking/jogging/sprinting. For me, HIIT is a great way to keep things interesting, and some studies even suggest that it is more effective in burning fat. For weight lifting, it is best to do heavy weights at low reps and shortened recovery time. It's the most effective way to build muscles and help to increase both your strength and endurance.

Recovery days are also extremely important, and be patient. Exercising too much at too high of an intensity is the fastest way to discourage oneself. It is very similar to the yo-yo effect of fad diets. I rarely ever jump on the scale. Instead, I focus on other factors, like: Am I feeling more energized now that I eat healthily and exercise regularly? Is exercising getting easier for me? Can I run faster or longer compared to the beginning? Focus on those little improvement, and before I even realize, all kinda of changes already occur on my body. Patience and balance. That's my mantra.

Hope this helps you :)!
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    If you are losing 3 lbs in 2 weeks, then be patient, because you are right on track. One should only lpse maximum 2 lbs per week, I believe. Sustainable and long lasting weightloss is all about taking one step at a time and creating a new lifestyle. Keep it up! Give it some time, and I promise you, there will be some wonderful and noticeable changes happen soon.

In terms of getting the best out of your exercise routine, I have a few tips to make the best out of your workout. In the cardio days, maybe you can sometimes spice things up by doing HIIT, which means instead of just walking/jogging, you can do a few minutes of continually alternating between walking/jogging/sprinting. For me, HIIT is a great way to keep things interesting, and some studies even suggest that it is more effective in burning fat. For weight lifting, it is best to do heavy weights at low reps and shortened recovery time. It's the most effective way to build muscles and help to increase both your strength and endurance.

Recovery days are also extremely important, and be patient. Exercising too much at too high of an intensity is the fastest way to discourage oneself. It is very similar to the yo-yo effect of fad diets. I rarely ever jump on the scale. Instead, I focus on other factors, like: Am I feeling more energized now that I eat healthily and exercise regularly? Is exercising getting easier for me? Can I run faster or longer compared to the beginning? Focus on those little improvement, and before I even realize, all kinda of changes already occur on my body. Patience and balance. That's my mantra.

I have no idea if I am "quoting" the right way...( I don't know how, lol) but yes, I can see that. I will make my scale disappear when I get home bc it really crushed me this morning! Thanks for the tips.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm 5'4" too and started about 175 and now I'm 4 lbs from goal! I peeked into a few days in your diary, and it seems like you're doing things right. Just make sure you're not over-estimating your exercise calories and if you can measure (I only do some things) your food/drinks that helps a lot too. Eventually you'll be able to tell how much a tablespoon or a cup is in the things you eat all the time.

Just keep it up, stay accountable and the weight will come off! It's taken me about 1.5 years, but I haven't given up coffee with creamer, mexican food, pasta or eating out (I do it way less though). If I was more strict, it would probably come off faster, but I'd rather it be slow and sustainable.

Take progress pics! I didn't and wish I did now. Especially for days when you're feeling discouraged the scale isn't moving. You can look and be like...hot damn! I am making progress.
  • icefranklin
    icefranklin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. Try working out in the mornings so that your metabolism is moving all day long. Don't forget to drink your water. Don't worry about the scale. Take your measurements. Also, remember it takes time to see results. Don't give up. I do jazzercise (cardio and strength training) every day. Hang in there...you will see the results before you know it.:happy: :happy:
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I lost 4.5 pounds int he last month but almost 8 1/2 inches by eating lean meats, veggies, fruits etc...I run almost every day and I lift heavy (stronglifts) 3x per week and although my weight is not budging too much right now I am getting smaller and to me that is more important. Hang in there you seem to be on the right track! Add me as a friend if you like. I am usually on several times per day! Keep at it!
  • TaraM430
    TaraM430 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You just have to hang in there. Mix up work workout routine after a month or so because your body needs that change for a boost. You may have to play around with your calories a bit too and see how the scale responds. I'm down 28lbs since January but at first my head wasn't in the game and I was going on and off the diet/exercise wagon. I didn't truly get my *kitten* into gear until May. It takes time for the weight to come off. Like others were saying 1-2lbs per weeks is a healthy loss.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and age 35. I started off at 220 and am now 154 and a UK size 10/12 (US 6/8). I had just had a baby when I started losing weight, so I had a fair bit to lose.

I've found that eating a bit more helps which I discovered when I went from 1200 calories a day to 1500. I'd lost weight in my early 20s eating too little, had put it on again, lost it again for my wedding, lost it after my first pregnancy doing the same thing. Now I am eating more my shape has changed and I've consistently lost for 2 years now. I'm hoping this time it'll stay off.

I've always liked healthy food so that hasn't been a problem, I just make extra effort to get lots of protein. I don't deprive myself of anything really, but if I do have treats I prefer them to be homemade ones.

I like to vary my exercise so do lots of different classes, and with 2 young kids I am very active in a day to day basis anyway.
  • misstammy123
    misstammy123 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Well said, I too will be getting rid of my scales and going by my instinct!!
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have also gotten frustrated not seeing scales results as quickly as I would like. But as someone pointed out already, the healthy way to lose weight is 1-2 lbs per week. I am doing bootcamp/circut training 2 days a week and walking 3-4 days per week. I am eating mostly lean protein and getting my carbs from veggies and fruit. I also watch my sodium intake so I am not retaining a ton of water. I think measurements are a great idea too. As a matter of fact, yesterday I thought I needed to measure to see what progress I have made since the scales are moving slower than I like.
    Personally, I prefer to weigh everyday because it keeps me accountable. If I am not losing, then it makes me eat right that day so I can get a loss the next day. If I am losing, it motivates me to keep up the good work. It just depends on how you look at it.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    3 lbs in 2 weeks is really not far off. I agree with others-- weigh/measure your food so that you can be precise. Drink LOTS of water. Some people frown on this, but I do not eat all of my exercise calories back (actually, I'm doing a different method, which averages out calories over the week instead of the yo-yo eating method). However, it's important not to eat too little calories, or you will end up with damaged metabolism over the long-term. I think you should also keep in mind that if you are weight lifting, you are not going to lose a lot of weight fast because your fat is turning into dense muscle, which weighs more than fat (volume-wise). Of course, that depends on how much lifting you are doing. So, start taking measurements every 2 weeks or so to see your progress that the scale isn't going to show you. As for diet, some people are going to preach "a calorie is a calorie" and that may be true, but if you want maximum energy and nutrition for your calorie, cut out refined sugars and processed crap. Eat lots of veggies and lean protein. You will feel better. And last but not least, remember to be patient. :)
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You can't expect instant gratification. I didn't see any results until I had been working out and controlling my intake consistently for 3 months. It's important to know that you're probably not going to notice a lot of the progress you are making because you see your body every day. I recommend taking progress pictures every month and using those to measure the changes in your body. Good luck!
  • MsWallwoman
    MsWallwoman Posts: 161
    Options
    Because muscle weighs more than fat, I try not to focus on my weight. So I take progress pics, my measurements and use a skin fold calliper for body fat%. I use an awesome app to track everything called BODY TRACK IT. It's an incredible app. It is customizable, has a feature so you can take your pics in the same position for best comparison. It has a cool summary and is super easy to use. It even guides you on how and where to measure so can try to get the same spot every time. It's helping me a lot not only to track my progress, but to help me stay motivated and keep positive. It's a great journal of my weight loss/ get healthy journey. I highly recommend the app. It's making a giant difference for me. :happy:

Wherever your weight loss/get healthy journey takes you, I hope you are having fun. I wish you success. Good luck Girl! :flowerforyou:
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I agree strongly with the progress pictures, I didn't think about those either when I started losing weight and now I'm kinda sad I don't have them.

Since you are lifting you are likely gaining muscle and that is going to skew your numbers a little. Muscle weighs more than fat. So, remember that! You can do tape measurements or buy one of those skin fold calipers to see the fat go. Both of those are pretty cheap on amazon. Just make sure you buy a digital one or one that locks in place if you are not going to have someone help you, if you buy the skin fold thing. I made the mistake of buying one that pretty much requires a second person (oops).

It does take time though! Be patient and try to look ahead. I should be at or close to my idea weight by Halloween so I'm just trying to keep my focus on that. I LOVE Halloween and dressing up so it's a great focus for me.

Also, yay for 5'4" girls! hehe :)
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It all started with walking my 10 000 steps every day. I then started to keep track of what I eat - now I make sure I burn more than I eat.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing great. It will take months to see real results so just hang in there!

I prefer to lift weights 3-4 days per week. You could do 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days or 3 full body days. But it's really about what you enjoy doing and will stick with. But it sounds like you do enjoy lifting weights. It's important that you continue to increase the weights you lift whenever you are able to :smile:

Something I wish I knew when I started out was that eating enough protein along with resistance training can help you maintain the muscle you have while you lose weight (so more of the weight you lose will be fat and less will be muscle). I have always done strength training but I wish I had aimed to eat more protein from the beginning. A good rule of thumb is to aim for .8 grams of protein per lb of body weight or more. Good luck!
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about weight lifting diets, however I have heard from quite a few people that it really does take a long time to start seeing results from lifting, especially if you are female. Women just don't build muscle as fast as men do. Not saying it isn't worth the wait, just that you probably will have to be patient, take the good diet advice people are offering, and keep working hard for a while before you really see it.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The only response I can gather from this is, what is you calorie intake? If you are eating more calories than you should be then you wont see results very quickly, even with exercise.