Question to all FEMALES who have succeed in weight loss!

Options
2»

Replies

• captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am not a Lady but I've got a standard comment ;] It is the same for everyone.

You should use diet to lose fat and weight lifting/aerobics to shape and tone. If you kill yourself in the gym for 2 hours and then go get a combo meal at McDonalds.. you've more than likely taken in twice as many calories as you've burned. Calories burned in exercise is commonly grossly overestimated and calories consumed grossly underestimated.
    It is by far easiest and long term beneficial to lose weight through diet, not excercise.

Muscle does weigh more than fat, and many people have a 5-6 lb water fluxation every day... the best guide for progress is a mirror.
  • crafty30
    crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 32lbs steadily in the past year..What did it for me – a mix of running/walking, swimming, zumba, pilates and strength training. I also tried to eat as little processed food as I could and I cut back on refined carbs..Not cut them out altogether but switched to wholemeal bread and pasta…I think the variety of exercise and the healthy eating really did it for me..It wasn’t a quick process though and sometimes I would only lose a pound a month but perseverance is the key! I am now in maintenance..Which I actually find harder than losing the weight!
    Keep at it, you will find what works for you..x
  • judgestacy
    judgestacy Posts: 32
    Options
    I think you are actually probably on track. If you are increasing your exercise, ESPECIALLY strength training, you are probably gaining a lot of muscle which weighs a LOT more than fat. And it simply takes time....

I started running this spring and actually gained weight the first month, then lost a bit (but only what I had gained) at weeks 5-6, but around week 6, it suddenly because obvious that it was working. My clothes fit better, I was more toned, etc. People just started saying "wow, you can really tell you've been working out...you just look so fit."

But it IS so annoying when men can drop weight just be thinking about having one less beer a week!
  • schakiiiii
    schakiiiii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Im on the same exact boat as you.. but I told myself that with time you would see the results rather than go by the numbers. I 100% agree with the person that suggested to take progress pics! Thats what im doign and hopefully in a month i'll look thru it and see some kind of difference.

Im not good at eating breakfast but i made it my mission so that I could have a better work out and build and tone. You should invest in some Whey Protein. I have mine in the morning almost everyday with Almond Milk instead of Regular Milk and I add thigns like bananas and cinnamon and little goodies for taste. It will help your muscles recover better and give you the Stamina you need. and also dont forget to count calories and always have a good portion of veggies and fruits.

Everyone is different but go with a plan that your comfortable with and then you will slowly see results! Feel free to add me. Im also learning as well but little by little we will get there.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Could everyone quit saying that "muscle weighs more than fat"? A pound is a pound, whichever way you look at it. Muscle is more dense and takes up less room which is why measurements should be relied upon rather than the scale. Though I know the scale is a quicker form of validity that you're not just busting your *kitten* in vein.

OP - you've only been at for 2 weeks? Give it time. Patience, young grasshopper. I was in a rut for 3 weeks...turns out I was consuming too much sodium. I changed that and lost 3 pounds (water retention). So make sure you're consuming water...lots of it. I'm at 1 gallon a day now. I looked at your diary and I'd suggest upping your protein intake and lowering your fat. Keep at it...you'll get there.
  • kareyn19
    kareyn19 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    All of these posts are so inspiring, i recently got rid of my scale also.. i'm 5'4 (198lbs) the last time i did check the scale. I was initially weighing myself everyday but that was getting to be increasingly discouraging. I work out 5-6 days a week both cardio and strength (alternating muscle groups) and within just a few weeks noticed some small changes in my strength and how some of my clothes felt. I try to eat a healthy diet most of the time but I am definitely a work in progress..My focus is just to workout as hard as I can every day and incorporate healthier eating habits hoping i'll eventually see positive results :flowerforyou:
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    I am not a Lady but I've got a standard comment ;] It is the same for everyone.
    You should use diet to lose fat and weight lifting/aerobics to shape and tone. If you kill yourself in the gym for 2 hours and then go get a combo meal at McDonalds.. you've more than likely taken in twice as many calories as you've burned. Calories burned in exercise is commonly grossly overestimated and calories consumed grossly underestimated.
    It is by far easiest and long term beneficial to lose weight through diet, not excercise.

Muscle does weigh more than fat, and many people have a 5-6 lb water fluxation every day... the best guide for progress is a mirror.
    *** Just FYI... I don't eat ANY fast food...the Food I might eat every now and then from a "Fast Food" place is Qdoba...and I usually eat their healthier items!
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    Could everyone quit saying that "muscle weighs more than fat"? A pound is a pound, whichever way you look at it. Muscle is more dense and takes up less room which is why measurements should be relied upon rather than the scale. Though I know the scale is a quicker form of validity that you're not just busting your *kitten* in vein.
    OP - you've only been at for 2 weeks? Give it time. Patience, young grasshopper. I was in a rut for 3 weeks...turns out I was consuming too much sodium. I changed that and lost 3 pounds (water retention). So make sure you're consuming water...lots of it. I'm at 1 gallon a day now. I looked at your diary and I'd suggest upping your protein intake and lowering your fat. Keep at it...you'll get there.
    Thanks...but I haven't just been working out for 2 weeks, it has been a month or so...so that is why I am trying to figure out if I should be doing something different.
  • schakiiiii
    schakiiiii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    *** Just FYI... I don't eat ANY fast food...the Food I might eat every now and then from a "Fast Food" place is Qdoba...and I usually eat their healthier items!

I do love Qdoba lol
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I know alot of people do not agree with me but for myself I was having the same problem and I cut back calories instead of ate them back. I ate all lean meat and green veggies. Yogurt and fruit nothing processed. This worked for me to get the scale moving.... Good luck...... I know it gets so frustrating...

This is exactly what I did. I didn't eat back my calories burned from exercise. I eat lean meats and fresh greens, greek yogurts, fresh fruit and nothing processed. I use fresh herbs for seasoning and don't use sauces or those bottled marinades. Watch not only what you eat but what you put on it. Weigh and measure everything and log everything that goes into your mouth. Even if you can't get in a good work out at least go for a walk. I walk every morning with my dog and another walk in the evening after dinner with my husband.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    sorry duplicate
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It took me 18 months to get to my goal weight, but the magic thing that worked for me was eating clean. I know everyone has their own definition of "clean", but for me, I cut out all processed and fast foods. I really focused on hitting my macros everyday (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat). I lifted at the gym 3 days a week and trained for 2 half marathons.

This weight loss thing isn't easy. You have to find the right balance for you. Find the exercises you like, the foods you like. 2 lbs in 3 weeks is great. You are definitely on the right track. Just keep at it.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR? How many calories are you eating per day? I stopped losing weight for over a month. I recalculated my BMR and I was eating below that. I increased my calories to my BMR and I started losing weight again.
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    What is your BMR?

Sorry for my ignorance...but what is BMR? :)
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. What I found most helpful, was cutting back on cardio and increasing my weight training. I have pushed my limits and have seen amazing results. I have a ways to go, but a man at the gym this morning told me "you are making a lot of progress in just a couple of weeks". Granted I have been working on this a lot longer, but since the change up, the results are speeding up. YOu don't want a quick fix, but you do want the satisfaction of knowing that all of your hard work is paying off.

I do NOT eat back my calories burned and I have added a protein supplement to my daily plan (mainly on lifting days). Protein is a must for lifting and will help you burn the fat! GOOD LUCK...we got your back. :-)
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    Thanks... I will NOT eat my extra calories...I'll do that! Sounds like a good thing.
  • MsWallwoman
    MsWallwoman Posts: 161
    Options
    They say:
    It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body change,
    It takes 8 weeks for friends and family,
    And it takes 12 weeks for the rest of the world...
    So keep going"

It's a process, a journey, and slow progress is still progress. Remember, your body hears what you mind says. Think positive. Nobody is built like you, you design yourself. You got this, focus, stay strong, and keep going!

Meats, veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar. :wink:
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Don't ever apologize for asking a question, how else can we learn and grow :wink:

From what I understand, BMR is...

BMR: Basal Metabolic Rate
    It is the amount of energy expended daily at rest (the minimum energy your body to function properly, like your heart, lungs, nervous system, kidneys, liver, intestine, muscles, skin...).

If you go below your BMR, its unhealthy, your body goes into survival mode and uses muscle for energy, and stores as much fat as possible.
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Lorigem: Good call. I am with ya ;). I often say muscle weights more than fat... But you are right. I guess I mean to say, muscle takes up less space than fat so weight isn't a good way to judge. I also like your suggestions. Good on ya