Body after c section

Options
I recently had a beautiful baby boy via C section. This is my first C section and has been hard. I am use to being able to at least walk and do every day activities. I am looking to find people who have/ are going through the same scenario as I. I would love to read about how you went about exercising and what activities you would recommend. I am also trying to breast feed so I am learning about what I should be eating and shouldn't be eating so that I can live a healthier life style and give my body the food that it needs. If you have any advice I would more than love to read about.

Replies

• TaraM430
    TaraM430 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a section last April when my son was born. I have a daughter also but she was born vaginally. I had a good experience with my c-section. I was surprised that I was able to move around as much as I did afterwards, but I know that is not the case for everyone. My son was born on April 11, 2012. I joined weight watchers on April 30th for 10 weeks and lost around 22 pounds. I did not breast feed so I don't have experience with that, I know your daily calorie intake has to be higher when you are breast feeding. I didn't start exercising until I had my follow up appt from my section about 4-5 weeks after having my son. I walked on the treadmill and also did walking/jogging intervals. I gained about 55 pounds with that pregnancy and about 20 pounds came off on its own before I started Weight Watchers.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I've had 2 c-sections, one almost a year ago and one almost 5 years ago (gulp - how did that happen so fast??!!). Not sure how far PP you are, but make sure to give yourself time. Try to stay moving as much as possible, without pushing yourself too far. It will get better soon. Walking's the best early-on.

With my first section, I probably didn't feel 100% until almost teh full 6 weeks was up. With my second, I was feeling more-or-less back to normal after 2 weeks, so you just don't know how long you'll be. Remember it was major surgery, so it will take time, but you will feel normal again.

Do you have any mommy-and-kids classes near you? I find those are great for getting back into post-partum shape.

As for breastfeeding, there are no particular foods you need to eat. Just try to eat healthily like you would for yourself, remembering your baby is getting his nutrients from you. The amount of recommended extra calories varies from site to site, but generally 300-500 is recommended. I'd start out with adding the full 500 calories until at least 8 weeks in to make sure your milk supply is firmly established. Make sure to stay hydrated!!!! I always found my supply dipped when I didn't drink enough. I'm 5'7" with about 40 lbs. to lose and I was eating 1800 calories NET when breastfeeding and losing weight. In fact, when I went below that, I found my weight stalled and my supply dipped.
  • natsgirl60
    natsgirl60 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 c/s. My first one was difficult to get back to normal, I was in a lot of pain until the 6-7 week mark. The second, I was back to normal within days...I breastfeed both my girls and I would recommend adding 500 to what you are taking in. Like some others have stated, drink plenty of water. I would not push too hard too fast, don't want to pull the cut! Walking is probably the best thing until the doctor clears you. After that I would just increase activity slowly. I found that after mine (c/s) my abs were really weak. I liked doing reverse crunches and planks to build my strength back up. If you need some encouragement feel free to add me as a friend.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I had a C in Oct. last year. My punkin was born on Oct 24th and on Halloween I was getting up and down handing out candy because my dumb mother in law wouldnt help me :/ I may have over did it that night because I felt like hell in the morning, but I was fully back to normal in just about 2 weeks after. I am almost a year post C and I still have the occasional pain at my incision site. I have been told that this can last for years, but it isnt constant and doesnt interfere with my daily life. Just try not to do too much too soon!!!! Congrats........babies are awesome!!!
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Have had 3 c-sections. I also breastfed my youngest(now 3 1/2). I would love to help you out. Feel free to friend me.