What 200 calories looks like in dozens of foods

Options

Replies

• Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    This a good reminder. puts everything into perspective when you look at in pictures like this.. Sort of Eat this, not that kind of thing!
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    little under half a bottle of huy fong sriracha will net you 200 calories too.... ;p
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting...great reminder. Since joining mfp and tracking intake, I've found a few surprises. My greatest disappointment has been Grape Nuts. Without any milk, 200 calories of those crunchy little nuggets just doesn't go very far!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The ones that make me sad are the blueberry muffin, cheese, peanut butter and snickers
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is really interesting! The glazed donut makes me laugh......just that little piece!
  • hmoffatt
    hmoffatt Posts: 51
    Options
    Damn, I want a glazed donut now.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great example of why low-carb diets are good.

Even though I am now convinced, after reading the article posted here, that a calorie is a calorie and there is nothing chemically magical about a low-carb diet, I am convinced that it is easier to lose weight on a low-carb diet.

The reason? On a high-carb diet you will struggle a lot more with portion control. Take a look at some of the high-carb photos in the link presented by the OP. In some cases, the 200 calorie portion of food is what I would consume as one handful of many handfuls of such a snack.

Sit down and eat your fill of Fruit Loops compared to eating your fill of eggs and see which one packs on more calories.

I think that if you eat a natural, unprocessed diet, there just aren't that many foods available to eat that are so super-appealing that you will stuff yourself with them, unless you are going to lay down some serious cash on steak, shrimp, and lobster.

But in low-carb fantasy land, holy *kitten* you can drink 75% of your daily calories in one milkshake and be hungry a half-hour later.

So low-carb diets may not be caloricly any different than a high-carb diet, but I think portion control is a lot harder with a low-carb diet.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    The ones that make me sad are the blueberry muffin, cheese, peanut butter and snickers

What bugs me is that so many places don't offer anything in the 200-calorie range. Try to find a 200-calorie chocolate chip cookie for sale, for example. That would be an okay snack, but anywhere you go, you only see 450-calorie monster cookies!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Pfft! Now I want Bailey's, drizzled over ice cream, topped with salted caramel sauce and a 99 stuck in the top for good measure. :grumble:
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Rockets are NOT Smarties!!!
    Yes, Canadian smarties are definitely better:
    smarties_zps2282ed01.jpg[/URL]
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    ...I see that and think how miserable I'd feel without fats. Holy schnikes 2300ish (my BMR) calories of fruits and vegetables would be BRUTAL.
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked celery
  • svanzinha
    svanzinha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness!! The gummibears..............
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    If I ate the giant bowl of puffed wheat I would still be starving 5 min afterwards. What a waste of 200 calories. Gimmie that Snickers.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Nice! I love how the fruits and veges are extra large portions! :)
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump for a reminder when I need to make those healthier choices! Thanks for sharing :smile::
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    That is pretty neat to see the amounts in different foods that are 200 calories. Reminds me to eat healthy so I get more food! I am greedy like that!
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well, i guess jelly beans are not the cornerstone of a healthy diet, I assumed they were good for me since they were fruit flavored and all...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Rockets are NOT Smarties!!!
    Yes, Canadian smarties are definitely better:
    smarties_zps2282ed01.jpg[/URL]

Those look like Spree...

...which are also delicious.

ETA: ...but since they're filled full of a chocolate-like stuff, are very different from Spree which are filled with solid sugary stuff. So now those sound like giant M&Ms.