shakes

Options
I would like to start making shakes. Any good tips or advice?

Replies

• conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Like smoothies?
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies. You can do fruit smoothies with either milk or juice. With milk, I usually have a strawberry banana smoothie, peanut butter and banana, strawberry-raspberry-blackberry, peach etc. With juice I do pineapple berry smoothies, apple and peaches and sometimes i add spinach for a boost. For the juice smoothies i try to stay away from generic juices like Motts or ocean spray. The have a ton of sugar and are high in calories, so I like to use Minute Maid Light lemonade, pink lemonade and raspberry tee. They are 15 calories per cup and only have 2-3 g of sugar.

Hope this helped! :)
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Depends on "why" you want them. Meal replacement, need protein, need something cold, like them?

Strawberries, water and ice is as simple as it gets
    Add spinach
    or a protein powder
    or a frozen banana (peel and freeze)
    or any berry you want.

need more calories, add yogurt or milk.

It all depends on WHY you want them, and WHAT you like :)
  • taml8807
    taml8807 Posts: 14
    Options
    Want to make smoothies for meal replacement or breakfast
  • dithware
    dithware Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do fresh kale or spinach (I like kale better), frozen mango or banana or peaches, small amount of whatever berries I have on hand, biochem chocolate whey protein, cinnamon, sometimes fresh ginger and unsweetened almond milk.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Babies?!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    to bring all the boys to the yard?

banana + vanilla protein powder + almond milk... or chocolate soy... or just chocolate milk.

honestly, just put what you like to eat in them anyway, otherwise it's gonna be a chore. Also, it doesn't save time unless you prep it before.. if you're looking for a "quick" breakfast, I've never been able to prep a shake/smoothie any faster than I could cook and egg and put some bread in the toaster.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    1 cup almond milk
    1 cup ice
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    1 tbsp PB2 (Powdered peanut butter)
    1 tbsp Vanilla pudding powder
    1 tbsp Cookies and Cream pudding powder
    1 tbsp Carmel coffee flavoring

Tastes like a snickers bar.
  • MySignaturecolour
    MySignaturecolour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For Breakfast I make strawberry, mango, unsweetened almond milk and greek yogurt. I freeze fresh strawberries and buy mango chunks from Trader Joe's so no ice needed.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Try organic kale (KALE rocks!) with almond or coconut milk (unsweetened). Mix with 1/2 tbs. quinoa, flaxseed, & chia. Add tiny amount of coconut oil-1/2 tbl. Also add frozen fruit (I luv blueberries with mine). My favorite protein powder to add in these is SunWarrior vegan chocolate powder. Awesome!
  • caragem13
    caragem13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My Breakfast Shake (4 servings). I make every other evening and use as my high protein breakfast after my morning workout. I drink one for breakfast and one for mid-morning snack. You will stay regular if you drink this 5-6 mornings a week.
    1 bananna
    ½ c blueberries
    ½ c berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries)
    ½ c whole milk
    2 c organic whole milk plain yogurt (with no additives)
    1 tsp raw organic local honey
    1 tsp vanilla (optional)
    1 tbsp coconut oil (healthy fat)
    ¼ c thick oats (whole grain unprocessed)
    ¼ c. flax seed (freshly ground – this makes the shake thick and is an acquired taste. Start with less. Contains Omega-3, Lignans, and Fiber.)

260 calories
    29 g carbs
    10 g fat
    17 g protein
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Seriously, just Google "smoothies". I predict a gazillion hits.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    This is my favorite:

Banana
    Dannon yogurt ½ cup
    Dole frozen fruit (strawberry, blueberry & raspberry) ½ cup
    Ocean spray 100% juice Cranberry, blueberry & blackberry 4 0z
    Wheat germ 1 tbsp
    Protein powder vanilla flavor 2.25 tbsp

Makes 2 servings a 203 calories each

I don't make very often but is my favorite when i do. It is high in sugar though.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Have you ever made shakes or smoothies in advance? Do they stay good or go flat? I'm wondering if I could save time preppaing a pitcher full the night before.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Throw ice cream, milk and some fruit in a blender, done
  • Alice_rio
    Alice_rio Posts: 17
    Options
    If you plan to make smoothie, do not go for store-bought milk and juices. These items have lots of preservatives. Choose the right mix of leafy greens. Focus on fiber and load on up on protein products. Skip the dairy, though.