Attention all Portlandian's! :)

Options
I'm moving to Portland, Oregon in August, and I've heard a lot about how health conscious the city is, any tips on where to shop/where to eat to keep up a healthy lifestyle? :)

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello - Portland is great- there is an amazing amount of people who hike or kayak or ski or run (nikes a major business here)... But basically most people love the outdoors here. There are many restaurants which focus on locally grown fresh ingredients . If you have specific question I'd try to answer. The other great thing is that most Portlanders are polite .
  • Naririn
    Naririn Posts: 24
    Options
    Another Portlander here! I know there are tons of good places to eat and shop, but... I don't get out much, so I'm probably not the best one to ask lol. I can recommend Trader Joe's (though they're not strictly an Oregon thing, I suppose) - love their selection, and they have many healthy options!

Lots of local farmer's markets all over the place this time of year. Those are always a good way to find some local produce.

Totally agree with the previous poster about outdoor activities. There are lots of hikes (of various lengths/intensities) within a short distance of Portland. Haven't been kayaking in the Portland area, but I know it can be done. Bicycling is also pretty big, and there are some bike paths around.

Hope that helps a little! I'm open to questions as well, so please feel free to hit me up if you have any!
  • Danalynn39
    Danalynn39 Posts: 38
    Options
    I live across the river and up a bit. But I agree. Trader Joes is awesome! One of my favorites for shopping good eats. And you would think more expensive but it's alot less.

Farmers Market is fun. There is also food carts that I swear I'm going to check out downtown. But have yet to do so. So that is on my goals. I'm sure they have healthy ones, right? lol

There are tons of outdoor activities wether it's just doing sports/exercise. Or if you are going pub crawling. You can check out the brewcycle. Get a bunch of friends and group cycle your way from place to place. Perfect way to burn off calories and check out some scenery too.

Portland is beautiful, even though it can get dreary in the winter with the rain. I LOVE IT!!!! Although, from the Washington side of course. :)