46 years old and have ried it all except surgery..

Options
6 weeks ago I stepped on the scales and realized that I wasn't going to live a very long life if I didn't get things in control. All my life I have battled with weight loss and have always los the battle. 10 years ago I weighed 312 and started a low carb diet with exercise and got down to 260. That soon ended and I have went back and forth since then until I reached my all time weight of 342 7 weeks ago. I refuse to have surgery done for my own reasons mainly I want to prove I can do this without that help.
I have had a heart to body talk with myself and decided the only true way to become healthy is to change. The only way to lose weight is to burn more than you eat and eat healthy. So I begin this adventure and this time I have so much to prove to myself not anyone else, just Jim. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can watch our changes. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and have realized that it's now or never. lol I have noticed that the older I get the harder it gets so I must succeed this time around. Feel free to add :)
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    Jim congratulations on the talk. A little over a year ago I had turned 40 and was over 370 lbs. Had the same talk with myself, owned up to a lot of the issues I had with food etc. Just remember if you have a bad food day there is always the next day and only you can make sure a bad day does not turn into two bad days.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am 42, and when I started I weighed 338 pounds( and I am a girl!!!) But since I started in March of 2012, I am down 121 pounds and I feel like a new person. I still have a way to go, but I know that I will get there. It can be done, and it sounds like you have the determination to get there!!
  • jimennis
    jimennis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The motivation I get is from people like you folks. I know this will be the hardest thing I have ever done, but there is no other choice. My only regret is that I waited this long,
  • tazmaninaz
    tazmaninaz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, there are tons of FREE apps you can use to help going. I am currently going to a trainer at a gym twice a week and paying an arm and a leg, but I had to so I can commit to going. That has helped me a huge deal in losing the weight I have lost so far. The iPhone apps I used also help a great deal to keep me on track.

My Fitness Pal (of course)
    Couch-to-5K
    DietPoint
    May My Fitness
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Never too late. I had a client at 52 go from 360 to 280 in a year all without dieting, but just calorie deficit and exercise. And he's on insulin too. Currently he's at 270 and our goal for him is 240. Should make it by the end of the year.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brayman1701
    brayman1701 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Dont have bad food days, If you have one bad meal then make sure the others are good.
  • jimennis
    Options
    I have used accu pedi and it has helped me set my walks. Thanks for the other ideas, I will look into them!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The motivation I get is from people like you folks. I know this will be the hardest thing I have ever done, but there is no other choice. My only regret is that I waited this long,
    no regrets- just move forward from today. not tomorrow, not next week. today.

And welcome. i've been here about 2 months, i am 52 and need to lose about 80 lb (not sure - i'll figure it out when i get closer).

started with a nice 10 lb loss, but got kinda stuck, so last week i changed my routine and cals and hope it will get started again.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey man! I'm 53! You can get this done!
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have sent you a message, you can add me.
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You are best to open your food diary for people to view, it is great way to get help and tips from others.
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am also 46 and have learned a lot trying to get to my ideal weight, at one point I was 50 pounds over. Please understand the seriousness of surgery, I had a friend die from complications after taking that path.

Don't try to do it all at once. Set small goals like 10 pounds at a time. Make small changes that you can stay with. If you can't stay with a change find a way that you can or find another change.

I have an addiction to potato chips, I just couldn't beat it so I found a way to make it a little better. I microwave potato slices and add some popcorn seasoning. I will only eat potato chips that way. It's a small but permanent change. (I bought a utensil to do this)

Log your food every single day, no matter what. Just being conscious of what you are eating is one of these small changes, actually it was a big change for me.

It is amazing how the permanent changes add up over time.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Well done for taking the time to post this Jim. We all hit a "now or never" point at some times, and that point is the start of positive change.
    No diets for you my friend, just a life-long change in eating and exercise habits. I am 65, and made the change, and have not looked back. 70 lbs or thereabouts lost since January and I feel wonderful.
    I am NOT on a diet - I eat what I want and fit it around my macros. I have smaller portions and larger portions of healthy stuff, which I like anyhow.
    My best piece of advice as you begin, is to take baby steps. Dont try to change everything overnight.
    I have great recipes to share if you want to experiment with exciting healthy food.

Please feel free to add me if you'd like. I WILL kick butt if you slip and I want to see your diary, but I will encourage you when you succeed.
    Best regards
    Lal - Tutbury, England.
  • brandylynnnichols
    Options
    My husband felt the same way about surgery that you did. He weighed about 350 and had diabetes and cholesterol problems. He would bike 20 or 30 miles at least 3 times a week but had a hard time controlling hunger and eating habits. I finally convinced him to have surgery a month after I had mine. Now, a little more than a year later, he weighs 180 and is off of all of his meds. Last week he went on a 100 mile bike ride! He rarely ever gets sick now and can do the things other people take for granted like easily tying his shoes. He lost his weight too fast really but that's because he doesn't get hungry that often and loves to bike ride now that he can move easier. I'm losing mine much slower but have already lost 100 pounds since May 2012.
    Surgery is a big decision but every time I work out at curves and get compliments on how much energy I have and how I work circles around people, I remember how much trouble I had just standing up for any length of time and I smile at my progress.
    I'm not saying that you should have surgery but just research it, maybe talk to people who have had the surgery and keep an open mind. Surgery isn't a miracle fix and a cop out. I still have to eat right (1400-1600 calories since I'm female) and I exercise at least 3 times a week. But I can seriously say that I wouldn't be where I am with out it. It has made such a difference.
  • jimennis
    Options
    I do think that surgery is an answer for some. I have a friend who reached 530lbs and had gastric bypass and he now weighs 260 and it saved his life. I am a pretty active guy and at my recent physical I had slight elevated cholesterol, my BP was slightly elevated with normal sugar count. I told the Doctor I eat fairly healthy just to much and to late. I feel for me it's just mind over matter. 15 years ago I quit smoking by just going cold turkey. I wasn't a heavy smoker but probably a pack a week. None the less I did it and had no problems. This will be the biggest challenge of my life, but I have an RV waiting for me at retirement and I plan on enjoying it.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My advice is to not worry about losing weight for awhile (let's say 90 days). Instead focus on making sure you educate yourself on nutrition. Don't count calories just yet. Log your food for nutrient data purposes only. Make sure every bite that you eat is value added for your health and well-being...loads of veggies (fresh, frozen, etc.), fruit (fresh, frozen..stay away from any canned fruit as a lot of times sugar is added) and lean protein. EAT TONS AND TONS OF GREEN LEAFY VEGGIES (vinegar only for the dressing)!!! When cooking skip the oil. and most of all don't drink your calories. Eat them!!!

The goal is to ensure you are providing the absolute BEST fuel for the engine that is your body. Last but not least, walk briskly a minimum of 30 mins each day. Don't skip a day. If its late at night and you haven't walked yet, walk standing in place and put in 30 minutes while watching TV. You will feel so much better physically and mentally. This is my two cents for starting on a life choice path not a dieting yo yo one. Best of luck!!! :)
  • taoistpunk
    taoistpunk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, 5'5" and when I started a few months back I was at 245#. In the food business for close to 9 years, I knew I had let myself go. I was sick all the time and always tired and run down. I would never touch elective surgery, and diets are unsustainable. Life is going to throw good food at you, and I wanted to know that I could enjoy Thanksgiving dinner without worrying. MFP + regular exercise will work.

I don't live alone, and there are plenty of temptations in the house that require sheer willpower (and the occasional early bed-time) to resist. You can do it. In fact, you can't fail....you can only stumble a bit.

My diary is open to friends...add if you like.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I think it will be easier to do than you think. It just takes a different mindset and learning how to do it properly. Coming here is a good first step.
    tracking calories has been immensely helpful for me personally.