Trouble with Sugars and Protein

Options
I seem to always go over on my sugars and proteins, but not calories! I know I have a coffee/cream and sugar addiction, but I need coffee! What are some alternatives to sugary things to add to my coffee, that taste good?

I also have a problem with ice cream. I eat well, get the light stuff, and deserve ice cream, but I ruin my sugar intake with a bowl of it at night (usually). Alternatives?

And I must eat too much meat and nuts. Is it really so bad going over on your protein IF you really don't go over on your calories?? What should i be upping, instead of meat? Veggies? What kind of healthy filling foods does everyone go to when needing energy and a fuller feeling?

Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I find that MFP's protein number on the automatic settings is very low. I've adjusted my macros. It's fine to go over on protein. I'm always over on sugar, too. I eat a lot of fruit, so if I even have one 'treat" (ice cream, a mini candy, et.), I'm way, way over. As long as I'm not eating a ton of "junk" food, I don't give the sugar number much thought, either.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you have no medical reason to avoid sugar, don't worry about it. And like the previous poster said, MFP's protein setting is low anyway, so no worries there.

As for the ice cream - ditch the light versions, they often have more sugar to make up flavor for whatever they took out. Get the Breyers natural stuff, measure out a serving and enjoy it!
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Options
    Try some skim milk or almond milk in the coffee with some Truvia! Taste great! I am always over on my protein by a lot. I think it is a little low on the MFP so if i go over it I am ok with it.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Sugars are hidden in so many places - especially processed foods. Fruit is also high in sugar. Try a 3 to 1 ratio of veggies to fruits and see if that helps. Not that fruits are bad, I just try to balance with more veggies. With that being said, even some veggies have a higher sugar content - such as baby carrots and red peppers. Personally, I am not concerned with my protein intake. I intentionally have a higher protein intake.

Start checking labels of foods and you'll be surprised where sugar is lurking.
  • tkillion810
    Options
    I was going to check your food diary, but it doesn't look like you track your intake here. It might help if we had an example day to look at.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are we talking a lot of sugar in your coffee? I "learned" to like (love actually) iced tea that is unsweetened. It took some time .... I just kept stepping down the sugar, until I didn't need it anymore.
  • tristaotto
    Options
    I made it public now. I feel I could cut out more sugary food(fruits, yogurts), but don't want to feel like I'm depriving myself. I also still have the issue of meeting calorie goals...I don't go too high calorie, ever! I even try to add filler drinks so I do hit calories...which is silly, but empty calories are better than none right?
  • tristaotto
    Options
    I'm not too crazy with the sugar, but creamer is a must! I am lightening it slowly but surly, but I still need/want it for flavor. I think i will try Truvia. I don't have issues with sugar...but diabetes runs in the family, and I'd like to stay aware of it!
  • tkillion810
    Options
    I briefly glanced through your diary. From quick glance it looks like your sugar counts are okay to me. If you are concerned about them and would like to bring them down, I found a few areas where sugar is lurking in your foods. Codiments can be one area that we don't think about - such as sauces, ketchup, dressings, etc. The skim milk has about 12 grams per cup according to your diary. I don't know that I'd go so far as suggesting to eliminate it - as I think there are other things that could be eliminated before you eliminate your source of calcium. However, with that being said, I drink Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk. It doesn't have the sugar content of skim, but it also doesn't have the protein, so it's not necessarily considered a good source of calcium. Another item to watch is yogurt. There is a lot of sugar in yogurt - based on the serving sizes (in my opinion). I think you would be better off getting a plain variety and adding a some fresh berries.

You briefly mentioned your calorie count... it appeas to be quite low on some days. Also I think I was noticing a trend of days you didn't eat lunch or breakfast you had more sugary snacks and bigger dinners. Just a suggestion, you might try getting all three meals in each day. I think there is a place for sweet snacks, so I'm not suggesting you have to get rid of them, but you might try branching out some and trying your hand at making some homemade goodies that you can replace the added sugars with things like banana or unsweetened applesauce.

These are just some ideas, I'm not a professional so take what I say with a grain of salt.