Help :/

Options
I need some friends on here that can act as serious motivators.

I get motivated to work out and eat better for maybe a week then it slowly starts to dwindle, even when I start to see pounds lost. The previous time I started working out, I had my roommate going to the gym with me so I lasted a little longer but shes started working and is doing a summer class so getting her out of bed now is nearly impossible so I'm slowly losing my motivation again.

I know once this class is over, she'll be more willing to work out again and that will help to an extent but I need someone who see this journey through my eyes...Shes been thin her whole life so she doesn't entirely understand the struggle I'm facing.

I dont wanna keep starting over, I want now to be the last time I ever have to lose weight.

My first goal right now is 20lbs but I know I have at 60lbs to lose overall.

Replies

• fitmama95
    fitmama95 Posts: 7
    Options
    I know the feeling! I have almost no support and two kids that tend to slow me down. I have tried to lost weight before and always gave up for one reason or another. I decided this time to drop the excuses and commit. I workout six days a week from home (so my kids aren't an excuse) and I am trying to eat healthier (even though the rest of my family is not). Every time I get discourage I think about the previous times I have failed and how bad it made me feel. Focus on your goal and keep it in sight. Do it for you!! I desperately want to fit into my pre-baby wardrobe so I keep that in mind whenever I want sometime sweet or to take a nap instead of exercising.

I am three weeks into my fitness journey and new to MFP so I need support and motivation too! I here if you need me!!
  • saranevans
    saranevans Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks, added you as a friend on here.

I've been trying to work out 5 times a week at least...I maybe going up to 6 just so I can keep the motivation going. It shouldn't be that hard for me to make it to the gym since its in the building right next to my apartment and I have a free membership to the rec center on campus when I'm school but I'm still so lazy about it sometimes.

I understand how you feel about not having support at home either. My roommate right now is like a size 3 and she can get away with eating almost anything and not have to feel guilty about it. She eats pretty healthy for the most part but lately all she's been craving is food that I really shouldn't be eating. Then when I go visit home, I'm surrounded by sodas and junk and my parents like to eat out all the time so its hard to eat healthy.

I was supposed to work out this morning but couldn't pull myself outta bed for it, so I guess today is my rest day.
  • DDfitness89
    Options
    Girls,

The biggest advise I can give you is to look in the mirror every time you feel like giving up and remind yourself why you committed to a lifestyle change, try writing down 3-5 reasons your wanting to change your body and take progress pictures front and side photos every two weeks, then each time you need to find a little motivation look through these pictures, the scales can sometimes be deceiving and you could be losing size but developing lean muscle and you weight not change a great deal.

If you wish to listen to somebody who I feel is a great motivational speaker, search on youtube for Eric Thomas, he has loads of great speeches, I can only wish you both the best on your weight loss journey, ive been doing it for a long time but this last stretch seems the hardest for me to lose and juggle it all around as well as being a single father.

Stay strong keep motivated and you will succeed your goals :-) feel free to message me any time you want some motivation or advice/support
  • levelene2
    levelene2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm new too and just "starting over" --- I have about 80 lbs total to lose ideally, but will feel much much better about myself if I can lose half of that. I would love to have more friends and support! I'll add you if that's okay!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    This always motivates me.

funny-Dr-Phil-sugarcoat-fat.jpg
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'm Tricia, I'm 28 from southern California. I log daily and my diary is public and I try to be a great fitness friend and motivator. Feel free to add me, anyone! Hope to hear from you soon!

Always,
    Tricia
  • mmbrooks5
    mmbrooks5 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I have been pretty fit my whole life. In January I had a lot of things change in my world: started school, added a job I am not crazy about, and couldn't afford to work with a trainer that I really like. I stopped exercising, had some depression and just had too much going on in life. I eat really well but I also lie to myself. So I wanted to really look at my eating and have some accountability. I also stopped talking Ambien about two weeks ago. Now I am sleeping well but almost too much. Any way I am really working on my food. I love juicing. I struggle with healthy sources of protein. Happy to cheer each other on.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Friends are great but only you can motivate yourself.

Weightloss sucks, it gets boring, it gets tough. You may go throug periods of "Sit on the couch and eat all the crap foods" and then periods of "Work all the muscles! and Eat all the good foods"

The best motivation I have found is find something and work towards it. For me (and I never thought I would say this) It is mud runs. I did my first Spartan last month and almost died(or thought I was going to), and not even a week later signed up for one next year, my goal is to not even think I am going to die next year... soooo... thats enough motivation all I have to do is think about sitting on the hill almost in tears because everything hurt, I was tired and I wanted to quit - My team was awesome and they helped me through out it.

Find your thing, stick to it and just do it.
  • jgarrett731
    jgarrett731 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want. I log daily and try to exercise at least 5 days a week. I know it's hard to get motivated but I have found that having friends on MFP that can see your diary/exercises, along with the forums, really helps keep me on track.
  • mcouturezz
    mcouturezz Posts: 145
    Options
    Hello ladies !
    Feel free to add me I log on here everyday, it'll be 1 year August 1st :)
    I am motivated, I workout and will push you !! lol
    Have a great day !
  • shawnmsaunders
    shawnmsaunders Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We all know the pain. I am the master of excuses to not eat well; to not exercise. If you are relying on others to get to the gym ... it will not work out in the long-run for you ... I used to do the same thing ... for me it was just a subconscious excuse for me to not go ... it was an out. At the end of the day - it is your decision and should only depend on the person in the mirror.

Be proud of your accomplishments - as little as they are - eating less; getting out for a walk; skipping that piece of cake ... and keep at it and never give up. We all slip ... all that matters is that you get back up and keep going. You'll get there.

46533671.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • savgar32
    savgar32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It sounds like we're in the same boat. I have a great burst of energy in the beginning of the week and then...I lose steam. I've been relentlessly trying to get my roommate to go jogging with me but she comes up with every excuse there is not to go. But I've started to exercise 5 days a week, two times a day and my head is in the game right now!! I would love to cheer you on and I need help too :smile:
  • jvelopez
    jvelopez Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can relate to all of you! I too just joined here and look forward to having a network of friends so we can all support each other. I have tried every diet in the book and am over it! It's time for a change of lifestyle and by reading all of these message boards I know I made the right decision joining MFP. Feel free to add me to your friends.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I understand lack of motivation and "falling off the wagon" if you will. Been there, done that. Finally got my act together about 2.5 years ago.

I won't take responsibility for motivating you. But, I will cheer on your efforts and offer insights from time to time if that's what you're looking for.

I can't make you get out of bed...heck, I have a hard time getting myself up for my morning runs. But, I will be waiting to offer praise & encouragement when you DO log your exercise & such. If that sounds good, feel free to add me.
  • toddmoore83
    toddmoore83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes...
    SODA and eating out kills your progress...
    You MUST look at yourself and say. This is NOT what I want..
    I WANT what I was in High School, or the day I got Married or something like that..
    Then set your mind to that goal..
    I will tell you what got and keeps me going... I took a pic of my wife and kids, posted as my desktop on my phone, ipad and pc to remind me of why I want to get healthy.. I want to be here to see them marry and have kids...
    This allowed me to quit smoking COLD TURKEY ( has been YEARS now) and start to get my life back in MY hands...
    Good luck...
  • srostad2006
    srostad2006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! Weight loss is hard. I've tried everything. Best advice I can give is to start slow. I wouldn't jump right to 5 days week working out right away. Start with one or two and build up from there. The reason I say that is this- Chances are if you don't meet that goal of 5 days a week (which can be hard to manage all the time) then you are going to feel as though you "failed" if you don't meet that goal. You need to build yourself and confidence up some and then add on. So if you set the goal at 1 or 2, those are easily attainable and you can be proud of yourself once you have achieved it. After a few weeks, you'll start to notice a change in thinking and that's when you should start to add more. Just take your time and make sure that what you are doing is maintainable and fits into your lifestyle. If you don't, you won't continue to do it for long.

I'll send you a friend request. Would love to help motivate and I could use the extra motivation as well! Best wishes to you:)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are to set small achievable goals, this will help you build momentum and keep you motivated. It takes 21 days (supposedly) to make something a habit. It takes me a lot longer. Go to the gym every day, even if you only walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes, that's 10 minutes instead of a rest day. Then maybe tomorrow will be 15 minutes, or 20. Build on that. Write down a schedule in your calendar. I have two jobs, 4 dogs, and 2 horses, one that I'm training and I still workout 6 days a week. I'm not perfect by any means and things do fall by the wayside like my social life and forget having a clean house. But I'm seeing results and that keeps me motivated as well as all the support I get from my friends on MFP. My family is not much help when it comes to nutrition, my parents' house looks like the junk food aisle at the grocery store but family is not perfect either. So I understand the difficult choices you face.

Add me if you want and I'll do my best to help keep you motivated.
  • justdoit2322
    justdoit2322 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate... the same exact thing happens to me. I am motivated for a few weeks and then boom... just stop for months! I am done with that. I feel so gross if I do not workout daily. Please feel free to add me and we can mssg back and forth about our progress, goals, and routines! :D
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Friends are great but only you can motivate yourself.

Weightloss sucks, it gets boring, it gets tough. You may go throug periods of "Sit on the couch and eat all the crap foods" and then periods of "Work all the muscles! and Eat all the good foods"

The best motivation I have found is find something and work towards it. For me (and I never thought I would say this) It is mud runs. I did my first Spartan last month and almost died(or thought I was going to), and not even a week later signed up for one next year, my goal is to not even think I am going to die next year... soooo... thats enough motivation all I have to do is think about sitting on the hill almost in tears because everything hurt, I was tired and I wanted to quit - My team was awesome and they helped me through out it.

Find your thing, stick to it and just do it.

QFT
  • Monilee30
    Monilee30 Posts: 1
    Options
    I can relate to the start - stop, start - stop of exercise and diet. I joined three weeks ago when some ladies at our church exercise group decided to do a "challenge". My challenge is to drop 20 slowly, I'd like 2 lb a week, this will help me keep it off the healthy way. Too fast and I'm right back to eating and no exercise.
    I work out a minimum of 4 times a week incorporating 30 - 50 min walks also. Tracking my food and exercise really helps me stay focused and accountable. Watching what I eat and changing eating habits is the hardest. Being over 40 also makes it more difficult to lose and tone.
    My best incentive is noticing more tightness in my legs and my shirts do not gap as much. I weighed and measured when I began, but not since I began and do plan to until the 5 week mark. I get discouraged easily and feel that my clothes will show the progress. This may not be the best, but works for me. :-) Everyone is different.
    Stick with the work outs and better eating habits. (Diet is one of those nasty 4 letter words) It's a life style change. A better life style change.
    Remember, someone is looking up to you, even if you don't know it. Keep that in mind when you feel a little tired and bummed. YOU ARE AN INSIRATION!